Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blueoctopus
    • By Blueoctopus 3rd Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Blueoctopus
    Providing Proof of source of conveyancing fees
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    Providing Proof of source of conveyancing fees 3rd Mar 18 at 11:51 AM
    Hi,
    My conveyancer wants proof of source of conveyancing fee money, accruing over at least 3 months. I don't have this we are having a genuine bargain price mortgage with my parents as vendors gifting us the equity as the deposit.
    Therefore I haven't been saving for three months, it's only 1100 or so, I was planning on just paying the first 500 upfront for disbursements and the balance after completion (and another pay day) straight from my current account. We don't save but have 600 a month fun money we can either spend or not.
    Do I really have to delay everything so the can see such a small amount accrue over time does anyone know?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Blueoctopus
    • By Blueoctopus 3rd Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Blueoctopus
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    Don't know what happened there I tried to edit and posted it twice
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 8,054 Posts
    • 8,901 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    I think your conveyancer means three months of bank statements.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Blueoctopus
    • By Blueoctopus 3rd Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Blueoctopus
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    I hope so, it's such a small amount in the context of a house purchase I didn't factor it in to "saving for a house" I just knew I'd have the money when the bill came with no hardship.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 7,833 Posts
    • 14,306 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    The solicitor has to record where the money is coming from to do the transaction, for their various anti-money-laundering procedures etc.

Often that comes from bank statements etc showing it is your money that has built up over time, or from a completion statement on selling a previous property. In your case the money you're 'putting in' to the property is basically a gift from a relative. But getting that reply doesn't cover *all* the money which will be flowing into your solicitor's accounts, because the fees money will be coming from yourself independently and isn't gifted. So they need to document the source of funds.

In your case, the source of funds for the fees is 'savings and current ongoing salary from Myemployer Ltd' which is 'proved' by saying here is my bank statement showing I do get net pay of x per month from Myemployer Ltd which will easily cover your 1100 fee and there are no massive cash deposits arriving in my accounts from other sources in recent months.

The solicitor is bound by duties of confidentiality etc so when they see that you spend x per week at tesco.com or dildofactory.com, they are not going to pass that info on to your friends and relatives.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 3rd Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    What happens if you decide to move, and use savings that you've accrued over 15+ years, which has "moved" between many accounts over the years, to get the best deals?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 58,475 Posts
    • 51,848 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    I was planning on just paying the first 500 upfront for disbursements and the balance after completion (and another pay day) straight from my current account.
    Originally posted by Blueoctopus
    Does your solicitor know that you don't have the funds to pay their fees on completion?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Blueoctopus
    • By Blueoctopus 3rd Mar 18, 4:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Blueoctopus
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:59 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:59 PM
    That's the edit I was trying to make. Should say after payday, on or before completion.
    The funds will be there in a fortnight not looking to complete until mid April.
    • Blueoctopus
    • By Blueoctopus 3rd Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Blueoctopus
    • 3rd Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    We will have exactly what I told the mortgage lender we will have after completion, around 500 in instant access account and several thousand in premium bonds for emergencies.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 4th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Lysimache
    Show them your premium bonds, pay them with premium bonds and then use the other money to re-buy your premium bonds?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,065Posts Today

7,784Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin