Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ncmscnc
    • By ncmscnc 3rd Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ncmscnc
    0 WOW
    Gulf Air - eDreams.co.uk | Flights refund
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    0 WOW
    Gulf Air - eDreams.co.uk | Flights refund 3rd Mar 18 at 11:35 AM
    Hello,
    I am new to all this. I have recently purchased a ticket to fly to India from Heathrow on the 9th of March and return on the 31st.
    It looks like I might not be able to make it.
    eDreams.co.uk is outright saying the ticket is non-refundable and Gulf Air is saying it up to eDreams.co.uk if they want to help me.
    The adviser at eDreams.co.uk is 100% sure the ticket is non-refundable and there is nothing they can do about it.
    I am bit worried now. Is this always the case with long haul flights? It's £360!
    It's a big amount during the normal times and it's more so during these difficult times (the reason why I am not travelling)
    Can anyone guide me on how to go about claiming a refund?
    I have paid the ticket to eDreams.co.uk through Paypal funded via Barclaycard credit card.
    Last edited by ncmscnc; 03-03-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Clarify
Page 2
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 4th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 12,071 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    What is the exact reason for not going? You say "change of work assignments" - did you not have holiday booked at work for this?!

If you had holiday booked, your company have to give twice as many days notice as the amount of time you are away before the start of the holiday... and you will be away for ~3 weeks. This means, giving your booking date, your company could not legally just cancel your holiday...

If you didn't book holiday at work, why did you buy the flights if it wasn't all OK to go?
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    The OP also talked about no longer being able to afford the holiday. That suggests that s/he is in "flexible" employment and has been given fewer hours recently than in the past. Sadly, that is not an insurable risk.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,637 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    The airline will make ~£60 on that ticket, the rest goes to the UK Government as taxes (e.g. APD).
    That isn't true.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    jpsartre
    It’s a cheaper flight ticket alongside a flexible one. I do not have choice but to book cheaper flights as the “artificial flexibility” element is 420% more. This is a normal behaviour. Why is this considered as something I have to put up with?
    Originally posted by ncmscnc
    Of course you had a choice, nobody forced you to book the flight in the first place! It's not a human right to be able to holiday in India.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You could have also booked via Lastminute.com who for about 15% extra on their price, offer a 90% credit (useable against future Lastminute.com bookings only) if for any reason you cant/dont want to fly.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Although it should be noted that Lastminute is part of the Bravofly group which is probably the second-most complained about 3rd party group (after eDreams/Opodo).
    • ncmscnc
    • By ncmscnc 5th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ncmscnc
    Thank YOU!
    Interesting take on employer side of things. I didn't even think of this! I am overlooking everything! What a mess.
    I was just fuming inside meself and have been feeling helpless, understandably.
    Monday morning, will be taking this with my employer for stressing me out for opportunistic reasons! Come to think of it, the reasons for this need for restriction from my employer is entirely in favour of them and they probably didn't even think through the fact that I might have a social life behind that desk.
    So this is happening now. I have to be as diplomatic as one can be. Will update soon!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 20,004 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thank YOU!
    Interesting take on employer side of things. I didn't even think of this! I am overlooking everything! What a mess.
    Monday morning, will be taking this with my employer for stressing me out for opportunistic reasons! Come to think of it, the reasons for this need for restriction from my employer is entirely in favour of them and they probably didn't even think through the fact that I might have a social life behind that desk.
    So this is happening now. I have to be as diplomatic as one can be. Will update soon!
    Wasn't your employer aware that you had leave booked?

Why didn't you say something at the time about the fact you'd got a flight to India booked when they said you couldn't have the time off?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 12,071 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Thank YOU!
    You should also note that travel insurance does often cover the situation when the situation at work means that it is impossible to take your holiday.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 5th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    I am very surprised that the ticket cannot have the dates changed or be cancelled with a fee.

All the lowest fares I can see including Net and Inclusive tour can have dates changed @ approx £100 and seem to have a £200 cancellation fee before departure and thats on a £35.00 fare

Is that no changes/cancellation rule down to eDreams T and C's?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I am very surprised that the ticket cannot have the dates changed or be cancelled with a fee.

All the lowest fares I can see including Net and Inclusive tour can have dates changed @ approx £100 and seem to have a £200 cancellation fee before departure and thats on a £35.00 fare

Is that no changes/cancellation rule down to eDreams T and C's?
    Originally posted by Heliflyguy
    Is this a serious question??
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 5th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    Is this a serious question??
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    More of a confirmation from the OP, do you have a problem with people asking questions again?
    • ncmscnc
    • By ncmscnc 5th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ncmscnc
    It indeed looks like part of their sales.
    The travel document I have received from itinerary@amadeus.com says the following.

LOW COST FARE
    CANNOT BE CHANGED OR CANCELLED
    amadeus.com has the following in their About Us section. Probably some kind of Customer Management services eDreams.co.uk is using. Looks like I have truly fallen into their T&C trap.

Amadeus provides the technology which keeps the travel sector moving - from initial search to making a booking, from pricing to ticketing, from managing reservations to managing check-in and departure processes.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 20,004 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    Pollycat
    And how did you get on with talking to your employer about your holiday plans and financial commitment to the dates you'd booked off?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 5th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 22,715 Posts
    • 57,001 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Looks like I have truly fallen into their T&C trap.
    Nope. Looks like you have fallen into the mistake of not reading T&Cs before purchasing. No trap. Mistake by you.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 5th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    Amadeus is a GDS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_distribution_system

Unfortunately, and its an error many make that certain agencies will have more restrictive rules than the rules of the fare, your not the only one.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    jpsartre
    What makes you think the agent is imposing more restrictive terms? Seems clear it's part of the fare conditions that the ticket is non-refundable. In general, OTAs will follow the airline restrictions. After all, it's in their interest as well that passengers make changes as it allows them to charge a fee.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 05-03-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    More of a confirmation from the OP, do you have a problem with people asking questions again?
    Post #6 confirmed it.

Yes, I have a problem being asked the same question more than once.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 6th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    What makes you think the agent is imposing more restrictive terms?
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    What makes you think it isnt?
    Has been confirmed it is the airline, as Mr I like to make the rules here, who can frankly take his attitude and.... points out in post #6.

Also the fares I was looking at, do you have GDS fares at hand?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    jpsartre
    What makes you think it isnt?
    The fact that Amadeus says no changes are allowed.
    • ncmscnc
    • By ncmscnc 9th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ncmscnc

Stood my ground with the employer! Flying as normal!

Omg.

A valuable lesson if anyone is following the thread, read the blooming T&C and don't assume your high street grocery shop "returns & refunds" program applies to the privilege of sitting in the sky on a chair moving forward at 550 mph.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 20,004 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    Pollycat

Stood my ground with the employer! Flying as normal!

Omg.

A valuable lesson if anyone is following the thread, read the blooming T&C and don't assume your high street grocery shop "returns & refunds" program applies to the privilege of sitting in the sky on a chair moving forward at 550 mph.

I'm glad you got it sorted but still can't understand why your first step wasn't to point out to your employer that you had actually booked and paid for flights.

I'd add - be wary of booking flights with 3rd party agents unless you're 100% sure of what you're signing up to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin