Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joshly
    • By joshly 3rd Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 142Posts
    • 11Thanks
    joshly
    Would you change supplier?
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    Would you change supplier? 3rd Mar 18 at 11:32 AM
    My current supplier is working out about £63 a year more expensive than Scottish Power are offering on a I year contract with a £30 exit fee.

But I have just started a 2 year price freeze with the current supplier. No exit fees.

Scottish Power could put their tariff rates up next year.

I compared the tariffs on my actual usage.

Is that the sort of saving that would make you change supplier?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 10,506 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    £63 for a two year fix and no exit fees .
    I WOULD STICK .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 3rd Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    you could consider it a £63x2=£126 saving.

you are unlikely to loose £126 in the 2nd year if you shop around?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 3,651 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    The question is ‘what is your annual cost’? If, say, the annual cost is £720/year, then a £126 increase in year 2 is equivalent to:

126/720 x 100 = 17.5% in your Bill. BUT.....

The wholesale cost of energy only accounts for 40p in every £ that we pay. So it follows - all other things being equal - that a 17.5% increase would equate to:

126/288 or an increase in wholesale prices by over 40%

The GOLDEN RULE is that suppliers will never offer a fix of any length that they believe will lose them any money.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 3rd Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:32 PM

126/288 or an increase in wholesale prices by over 40%
    Originally posted by Hengus
    It went up 400% yesterday
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 3,651 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    It went up 400% yesterday
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Yes, for one day or so only because the UK does not stockpile much more than 3 days worth of reserves. We were eating in to our reserves so, as markets do, they put up their prices for a desperate customer. That said, the wholesale cost of gas is rising. This what Bulb told its customers when it announced a 2.8% increase last month:

Quote Since July 2017, wholesale energy costs have increased by around 11% unquote

The important thing to note is that a11% increase in wholesale cost does not translate to a 11% increase in your energy bill.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 4th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 3,675 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    My current supplier is working out about £63 a year more expensive than Scottish Power are offering on a I year contract with a £30 exit fee.

But I have just started a 2 year price freeze with the current supplier. No exit fees.

Scottish Power could put their tariff rates up next year.

I compared the tariffs on my actual usage.

Is that the sort of saving that would make you change supplier?
    Originally posted by joshly
    My own personal criteria is a saving of £52 per year so yes I would switch. But there are other factors to consider such the length of the contract and exit fee.

However personally I am leaning heavily towards 100% renewable energy which in my region is Outfox The Market with a saving of £84 a year. But I am at the same time leaning heavily towards Co-operative Energy because I am a member of several co-operatives as well as Co-operative Group and that costs an extra £37 a year. Decisions! Decisions!

The above probably illustrates that for some people price and savings is a lesser consideration.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 3,651 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    My own personal criteria is a saving of £52 per year so yes I would switch. But there are other factors to consider such the length of the contract and exit fee.

However personally I am leaning heavily towards 100% renewable energy which in my region is Outfox The Market with a saving of £84 a year. But I am at the same time leaning heavily towards Co-operative Energy because I am a member of several co-operatives as well as Co-operative Group and that costs an extra £37 a year. Decisions! Decisions!

The above probably illustrates that for some people price and savings is a lesser consideration.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    A fair and reasonable point. As I am sure you know, consumers that pay for green energy have no guarantee that the kWhs that they use are actually green in origin.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 4th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    I've just been proposed a saving of £55 a year to switch from EDF to a small new supplier. I won't switch, because I have had an excellent relationship with EDF for a long time now. They have a very good, very efficient website that accepts my regular meter readings and acts upon them within a 48 hour moximum. There is a chatline which works and responds quickly and great customer service. Plus I have the Online Saver Aug 2018, which is bound to be upgraded soon. Lose all that for an unknown service and less than £5 a month? No thank you!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter