Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fadeaway94
    • By fadeaway94 3rd Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fadeaway94
    Moving from Northern Ireland to Scotland help
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    Moving from Northern Ireland to Scotland help 3rd Mar 18 at 11:28 AM
    Hello. The thread title is pretty self-explanatory, but Ill put a bit more background info. In here. Im a 24 year old male who lives in Northern Ireland, and Im looking to move to Scotland next year or so. Aside from family, theres nothing much for me here, and Ive always loved Scotland, and I feel this is something I have to eventually do to proceed to the next step in my life. I have a friend who goes to university there over in Dundee, and she highly recommends it to me. However, I obviously have a load of questions, and Im struggling to find answers online.

I have about 5,000 raised up for the move, and Id be looking at renting a flat. Id love to live in the Perth area, but is it affordable for someone like me? What is some of the more affordable areas?

I only work about 25 hours a week at the moment for a retail company in Northern Ireland in the North Coast area. In terms of experience, I only have had two previous jobs in the retail sector. Im also going to undertake an SIA license course next month to qualify for some security work, so I guess thats something. Would there be work for me around the Perth area? How would I find out? Do I make sure to get the job before the move, or after? (Id be afraid incase I wouldnt get any work). If before, howd I explain to employers? I just have a lot of confusion over that part.

Would my driving license in NI also be valid in Scotland? Im also prescribed to antidepressants, so I assume Id have to register to a different doctor in Scotland too, with confirmation of my medical history from my current doctor?

Alongside this, when moving, howd Id move some of my personal possessions over to Scotland? i.e. record collection, guitars, television, etc.? If someone could provide some info., itd be brilliant. Thank you.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    NI driving licence will be valid but you will need to update your address with DVLA.

Perth is a fairly small town and outside commuting distance by public transport from Glasgow and Edinburgh. Edinburgh/Glasgow/Aberdeen are the more economically active areas. Housing on the outskirts of Falkirk is fairly cheap and you have frequent trains to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

You can check job sites like Jobcentre, Indeed, s1jobs, myjobscotland for public sector jobs.

For moving stuff, either hire a van (and take it back to NI or pay the one-way fee) or pack stuff in boxes and then on a pallet. Pallet carriers can be fairly cheap if you're not in a hurry.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    Removal company will give you quote to collect, store then deliver to your new address.

Rental properties in Perth are cheap, from 350 per month, see here https://www.gumtree.com/property-to-rent/perth-and-kinross.

There are many retail outlets where you could find employment. I doubt any will consider your application until you have a local address.

After you find somewhere to stay, register with a doctor nearby.

Good luck
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • H1a3rt
    • By H1a3rt 7th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    H1a3rt
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    Average flat rental price looks to be around 580
    expatistan.com/cost-of-living/perth-scotland[/url]
    • bettyboo71
    • By bettyboo71 11th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    bettyboo71
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    Perth is probably a good choice to start, because it is very central for exploring the rest of Scotland. There are a few out of town retail parks, and a big shopping centre in the City, as well as lots of bars and clubs, so I'd imagine that you'd stand a fair chance of getting something.
    Do you want to rent a whole flat, or flat share? Sharing is obviously cheaper, and gives the chance to meet people, but it can have down sides too. There is a big college there, so probably a fair amount of flat-shares.
    Do you need to bring all your belongings straight away? If there's no family who would let you store stuff in their loft/garage, etc, look at the cost of storage. That gives you a chance to get settled, and be sure that you like it here, and avoids extra costs if you decide to move again.
    Registering with a GP is fairly straightforward. I am pretty sure that there is a page on NHS Scotland website which allows you to find the nearest practice, so handy once you've got an address. It might be worth asking your current GP how long the process of having your notes moved would take, as that will make having a new GP easier with your current prescriptions.
    Once you have an idea of when you're likely to move, you could contact some of the bigger retailers to enqure about vacancies - even consider having a couple of nights over here and trying to arrange interviews.
    And just keep asking questions. We'll do what we can to help or point you in the right direction.
    Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin