Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chloe1989
    • By chloe1989 3rd Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chloe1989
    Canayo Ltd Estate Agency
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    Canayo Ltd Estate Agency 3rd Mar 18 at 10:11 AM
    Hi
    Had anyone heard of Canayo Ltd Estate agency?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    No, and a search finds no online information on them. Who are they? Where are they?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    https://www.nigeriapropertycentre.com/properties?aid=26243&task=agentlisting&jjj=1520084 415554 I spelt it differently and got this.
    • chloe1989
    • By chloe1989 4th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chloe1989
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    Sorry,got spelling wrong.It's Cayano Ltd.
    We viewed a property through them ,found it on Zoopla.
    They don't have much online presence apart from websites,no reviews.
    There are three different phone numbers associated with them and no physical office space/shop.
    We are suspicious and think they or the agent may be a scam.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    The website says they have been around for a few years, and that's backed up by the fact that the website was registered in July 2014. Unfortunately their office adress is in a Street View blank spot so it's impossible to see what sort of premises they actually have, are you saying that you've been there and it doesn't exist? If that is the case then you are probably right to be suspicious, but from what I can see there's nothing that is of immediate concern.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 7,784 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Sorry,got spelling wrong.It's Cayano Ltd.
    We viewed a property through them ,found it on Zoopla.
    They don't have much online presence apart from websites,no reviews.
    There are three different phone numbers associated with them and no physical office space/shop.
    We are suspicious and think they or the agent may be a scam.
    Originally posted by chloe1989
    Well, the company exists:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09032896

and has done for almost four years (as has their web domain). One director (who isn't a director of any other companies) and two shareholders.

What do you mean by "they or the agent"? They are an agent.

I don't think there's anything inherently suspicious about a 1 or 2-person letting agency which doesn't have a a High Street presence (is that all that essential these days?).
    • chloe1989
    • By chloe1989 4th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chloe1989
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    Yes,we walked by the address registered and there is a shop there that is closed.
    Also there are 3 different phone numbers associated with them.one comes up as Actor headshots (there was no answer on this number).
    By the agent,i mean the person who showed us around.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    I find it odd when established companies have no reviews when there is so much opportunity for feedback.

Companies house has them listed and they are registered with the property redress scheme.

Facebook profile is sparse and not hugely active.

Their address is 134 Merton high street london which appears to be a halal meat shop. Not what I would expect an estate agents to trade from.

It looks like an individual set up. The director is 25 with little/No online presence.

The social media buttons on the webpage don't work. They are generic and go to main pages not company pages.

I would be wary. They are only marketing 8 properties for rental/sale on their website combined and they all look like they have been online for a long time.

Their zoopla presence is more recent with 5 for tent and no sales.

I personally would go with a bigger company for piece of mind but I'm aware that's ignorant to smaller businesses.

Have you spoken to anyone at the company?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 4th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    Sorry cross posted
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 7,784 Thanks
    davidmcn
    The fact they've been trading for four years in itself suggests they're not a scam, as I'd expect any fraudsters to be making as much money as they can and then quickly disappearing.

No harm in digging around if you're suspicious, I just think that sometimes smaller outfits get a rougher time because by definition they're unlikely to have the "thousands of satisfied customers" which the big guys will have (or the staff/time to run social media presences etc).
    Last edited by davidmcn; 04-03-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    • chloe1989
    • By chloe1989 4th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chloe1989
    Have just spoken to the person who showed us around the apartment.
    I rang the 3 numbers associated with them and no answer from any.
    I will keep investigating anway.
    Thanks all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin