Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 5,611Posts
    • 11,396Thanks
    iammumtoone
    parcel left in (un)safe place.
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    parcel left in (un)safe place. 3rd Mar 18 at 9:09 AM
    I have an ebay order that I can't log as not received as the tracking states parcel left in secure place (by my hermes).

I did get a slip through the door saying it had been left in the bin, however the bin men collected yesterday

Therefore I have no parcel and no way of claiming as such

Luckily it was only a low value item.

EDIT: I did manage to log as not received, will see what happens as I suppose the seller doesn't have to do anything as the ebay log says it was delivered (to be fair it probably was, I just didn't get it)
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 03-03-2018 at 9:15 AM.
Page 1
    • November2
    • By November2 3rd Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    November2
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    Do you mean you have opened a Case for not received? Have you explained to seller exactly what has occurred? Send a photo of the card stating it was left in the bin to the seller. They will contact Myhermes and make a complaint, they should then receive a claims form for lost parcel. Your seller will refund you via the resolution case.

Please remember to be nice to the seller, its not their fault the driver left it in a bin.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 3rd Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 60,464 Posts
    • 43,102 Thanks
    soolin
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    I have an ebay order that I can't log as not received as the tracking states parcel left in secure place (by my hermes).

I did get a slip through the door saying it had been left in the bin, however the bin men collected yesterday

Therefore I have no parcel and no way of claiming as such

Luckily it was only a low value item.

EDIT: I did manage to log as not received, will see what happens as I suppose the seller doesn't have to do anything as the ebay log says it was delivered (to be fair it probably was, I just didn't get it)
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    You will lose the INR and most sellers will protect their account first by getting an INR closed where they have proof of delivery sufficient for ebay purposes.

However, a good seller will try and assist you, but meanwhile if they are not responding to your enquires try contacting MyHermes yourself , social media is probably best, and point out that your item was left in an unsafe place and that you expect them to assist you in a claim for loss. Nothing ventured nothing gained as far as MyHermes are concerned and recently they do seem to be trying to sort out their reputation and assist people where something obvious has gone wrong.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 11,396 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    Please remember to be nice to the seller, its not their fault the driver left it in a bin.
    Originally posted by November2
    No its not the sellers fault but they are the one with the contract with my hermes so should help to sort it. I was nice, I always am.

You will lose the INR and most sellers will protect their account first by getting an INR closed where they have proof of delivery sufficient for ebay purposes.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yes thats what I though, I can understand that in some ways but its not my fault so I shouldn't have to lose out.

However, a good seller will try and assist you, but meanwhile if they are not responding to your enquires try contacting MyHermes yourself , social media is probably best, and point out that your item was left in an unsafe place and that you expect them to assist you in a claim for loss. Nothing ventured nothing gained as far as MyHermes are concerned and recently they do seem to be trying to sort out their reputation and assist people where something obvious has gone wrong.
    Originally posted by soolin
    It was a low value item £13 so probably not worth the hassle if the seller won't help, buts is made me think twice, my hermes didn't know the value it could have been worth a lot more.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 3rd Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    Hermes do know the value - it's entered automatically where a seller's ebay account is linked to Hermes, or (if not linked) the seller is required to enter it. Whether they do so accurately is up to them, but Hermes will only cover for minimum insurance unless more is bought at the time of dispatch. Anyone with half a brain would send signed for delivery if the item is valuable - that way Hermes can't 'leave' anywhere; they must get a signature.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 6th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 11,396 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    Just to update originally the seller offered me half refund, which I thought was fair, until I doubled checked the listing and saw that they stated they would use Royal mail.

I have pushed for full refund as if they had done what they stated this would not have happened, royal mail take to the sorting office where I could have collected. I did think at the time I must of made a mistake as I normally check and stick with sellers that use RM.

I am probably going to be called an awkward buyer but as far as I am concerned sellers should use the carrier method they state or list as other carrier.

What would ebay do in this situation? I guess they will still side with seller as they have a record of delivery (but not delivery by the carrier who the listing states they will use).
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    • 12,198 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    Just to update originally the seller offered me half refund, which I thought was fair, until I doubled checked the listing and saw that they stated they would use Royal mail.

I have pushed for full refund as if they had done what they stated this would not have happened, royal mail take to the sorting office where I could have collected. I did think at the time I must of made a mistake as I normally check and stick with sellers that use RM.

I am probably going to be called an awkward buyer but as far as I am concerned sellers should use the carrier method they state or list as other carrier.

What would ebay do in this situation? I guess they will still side with seller as they have a record of delivery (but not delivery by the carrier who the listing states they will use).
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Ebay will side with the seller. Paypal will side with the seller. The seller has proof of delivery, doesn't matter who it's with as long as it's viewable online.

I would not accept half the value as a refund, regardless of reason. The issue here though is getting your seller to help.

A good seller will protect their account (have the case closed in their favour) and then help you with disputing the delivery with the carrier.

You could try a chargeback with your card company if you used a card to pay via Paypal, although most relinquish their responsibilities citing Paypal as an intermediary payment processor, thus breaking the chain. But it CAN be done.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 7th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    Its not just a My Hermes problem. Quite a few couriers will leave a parcel in a "safe" place. Couriers like DPD, UPS normally will only if you give them permission directly in advance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter