Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 3rd Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 300Posts
    • 21Thanks
    samsung laptop
    Can the bus company charge the council
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    Can the bus company charge the council 3rd Mar 18 at 8:02 AM
    If the buses cannot run because of the roads are bad can they charge the council for not clearing the roads. Where I live they cancelled the buses at 3.30pm on thursdays and they are still cancelled due to the roads.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 3rd Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 13,116 Posts
    • 8,666 Thanks
    photome
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    take it a stage further, could eveybody who couldnt get through or got stuck claim from the council for lost earnings

I got stuck between snow drifts twice and couldnt get to the jobs i was heading for.

PS
    this is tongue in cheek I dont really expect the council to be held responsible for snow
    • societys child
    • By societys child 3rd Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 5,200 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    can they charge the council for not clearing the roads
    NO, of course not. How old are you . .

• Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 3rd Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,038 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    If the buses cannot run because of the roads are bad can they charge the council for not clearing the roads. Where I live they cancelled the buses at 3.30pm on thursdays and they are still cancelled due to the roads.
    Originally posted by samsung laptop
    Potentially I expect there would be some form of recompense. It depends on the contract the bus company has with the local authority that it serves.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 3rd Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 8,818 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    What is the PVW aspect to this..?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 3rd Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 5,642 Posts
    • 11,868 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    Round my end the buses ARE the council...
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 3rd Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:29 PM

OP - can I ask why you are asking? Do you represent a 'bus company? Have you sufferd financial loss as a result of the closures? (Perhaps you have).

If you are a 'bus user, there may be little point in seeing the 'bus co. suing the council, because if the council has to pay it will be you (and me!) paying for it, either through higher council tax or (more likely) even more reduced services.

I don't think the council are liable in these quite exceptional weather conditions.. Even if the 'bus co could establish they'd been negligent, I'm not sure it'd get anywhere.
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 3rd Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    OP - can I ask why you are asking?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    In my town most places are on hills and when it snows or we are expecting frost the council hardly grits the roads but in the next town about 3 miles away the same council plasters the roads in grit. Now today the council have cleared the bus routes in the town 3 miles away but they haven't in my town. I know the town 3 miles has a bigger bus route so the bus company must be losing thousands.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 4,038 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    In my town most places are on hills and when it snows or we are expecting frost the council hardly grits the roads but in the next town about 3 miles away the same council plasters the roads in grit. Now today the council have cleared the bus routes in the town 3 miles away but they haven't in my town. I know the town 3 miles has a bigger bus route so the bus company must be losing thousands.
    Usually bus routes are gritted across local authority areas, I'd be surprised if they don't grit a certain bus route.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 3rd Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 5,200 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    Many bus companies are already subsidised, how many times over do you think we should pay them?
    today the council have cleared the bus routes in the town 3 miles away but they haven't in my town.
    I'd move 3 miles . . .
    (if it bothered me)

• samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 4th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    Usually bus routes are gritted across local authority areas, I'd be surprised if they don't grit a certain bus route.
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    A lot of people in my town have asked on the council facebook page why they are not sticking to the gritting route are their reply was they need to keep clear the main routes which include all A and B roads, localised high risk sites and important access routes, major town centre shopping areas. The one thing they don't mention is schools as they are not a priority.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 4th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 10,391 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    The one thing they don't mention is schools as they are not a priority.
    What's the point of gritting outside schools, when the teachers/cooks/children can't get in from miles away, and the schools are likely to be closed because of the slip risk on the school grounds?
    The man without a signature.
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 13,116 Posts
    • 8,666 Thanks
    photome
    A lot of people in my town have asked on the council facebook page why they are not sticking to the gritting route are their reply was they need to keep clear the main routes which include all A and B roads, localised high risk sites and important access routes, major town centre shopping areas. The one thing they don't mention is schools as they are not a priority.
    schools are not a priority

as mentioned before I have been stuck a couple of times this past week on A roads because as fast as the roads were cleared the snow was drifting back on and was up to 8 ft deep in places ..no amount of grit is going to stop that and this is a priorty route.

There were 4 to 5 ploughs and a JCB working to clear it on friday morning, they cant be everywhere
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 4th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Anybody could try and sue the council for not clearing the roads, you would have to prove they failed in their statuary duty by not doing what was reasonable and practicable to get things done.

I would imagine the council would have a mass of plausible reasons and excuses, some true, some exaggerated, and that they would not lose the case.

The winners would be the lawyers of course.
    • elmer
    • By elmer 4th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    elmer
    Someone called me at my council to complain that we hadn't called in the army overnight so that he could get his van out for work!
    I was a little speechless
    • meer53
    • By meer53 4th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 9,157 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    meer53
    What do you do then when the gritter can't get up your road to grit because of ice and snow ? Do you have some magical answer to this problem ? And no, the bus didn't get up my road either, nothing to do with gritting, but all to do with the huge amount of snow and freezing temperature.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 4th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Ganga
    I think they should sue God.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 4th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    nickcc
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    Certainly not where I live. No local bus services ran, this being due to ungritted roads. Last time it snowed, 8 years ago, no gritting on our local bus routes took place for nearly two weeks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin