Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 3rd Mar 18, 12:26 AM
    • 180Posts
    • 489Thanks
    Purple-flower
    Neighbour refused access to stop valve - flood!
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:26 AM
    Neighbour refused access to stop valve - flood! 3rd Mar 18 at 12:26 AM
    Hello everyone!

Please excuse me if this isn't this right place to post. I was looking for some advice. A pipe in our loft burst and water started leaking into one of the bedrooms. We acted quickly and went to turn off the water at the stopcock in the road because the in house one had seized up.

This is where the problem lay. Our stopcock is shared by four properties and is located on the driveway of another person's property. We went to their house to ask to turn off the water and they flat out refused! Meanwhile the leak/flooding was increasing. For 20 mins the lady refused and was threatening to call the police and denied us access to the property until finally a plumber neighbour of ours came and she let him do it.

I wanted to know what can be done because when we make a claim, the severity of any damage is no doubt due to her refusing to allow us onto her property to stop the SHARED stop valve! I'm so angry right now!!!

Thank you everyone!
Page 1
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    Hello everyone!

Please excuse me if this isn't this right place to post. I was looking for some advice. A pipe in our loft burst and water started leaking into one of the bedrooms. We acted quickly and went to turn off the water at the stopcock in the road because the in house one had seized up.

This is where the problem lay. Our stopcock is shared by four properties and is located on the driveway of another person's property. We went to their house to ask to turn off the water and they flat out refused! Meanwhile the leak/flooding was increasing. For 20 mins the lady refused and was threatening to call the police and denied us access to the property until finally a plumber neighbour of ours came and she let him do it.

I wanted to know what can be done because when we make a claim, the severity of any damage is no doubt due to her refusing to allow us onto her property to stop the SHARED stop valve! I'm so angry right now!!!

Thank you everyone!
    Originally posted by Purple-flower
    Actually, I would say its due to you not ensuring that the stop c0ck in your house was kept in good working order.

Yes your neighbour should have been reasonable, but if you had taken a bit more responsibility you would not even have needed to ask her.

Ultimately if I were an insurance company, that what I would be telling you.
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 3rd Mar 18, 1:13 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:13 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:13 AM
    Actually, I would say its due to you not ensuring that the stop c0ck in your house was kept in good working order.

Yes your neighbour should have been reasonable, but if you had taken a bit more responsibility you would not even have needed to ask her.

Ultimately if I were an insurance company, that what I would be telling you.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Thank you for your reply, the internal stop valve was seized with cold and there was no time to thaw it out
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 3rd Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    If the internal one was seized due to the cold, what makes you think an EXTERNAL one would not be.?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 3rd Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    I think your neighbour was pretty unreasonable but I would not waste any effort trying to make a claim against them as I can't see it succeeding.
    Hopefully your insurance will pay out.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 3rd Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    Furts
    • 3rd Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    A flood is a domestic emergency, so I would have turned off the valve as quickly as possible. I would have told the neighbour afterwards, as a matter of courtesy and being proactive.

There is a sting in the tail to this story. Pipes in roofspaces should be lagged, and insulation should be up there too. Draughts and wind chill should also be addressed. Adding this to what happened to your stop tap and one has to have sympathy with the situation insurers put themselves in. Sure they are in business to make a profit and this means taking on a risk. But homeowners and tenants who do not undertake due diligence end up costing all society a bill in increased premiums. Is this really fair and equitable?

With this in mind it may be asking a little too much by shifting responsibility, or blame, to the neighbour. After all, it was not her problem, and it was not of her making.

I suggest you quietly pursue an insurance claim, but deep down eat a little humble pie.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 3rd Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    I believe your neighbour had every right to refuse you access.

Not having a working stopcock within your installation was pretty silly, really.
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 3rd Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. All our pipes are lagged, our loft fully insulated. Our stopcock inside was working and we had a full winter check a few weeks ago. With -10C it was seized up. I think I haven't explained the situation here properly but that's because I was writing in anger I think. Fortunately the Insurers agree!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 3rd Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 5,235 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. All our pipes are lagged, our loft fully insulated. Our stopcock inside was working and we had a full winter check a few weeks ago. With -10C it was seized up. I think I haven't explained the situation here properly but that's because I was writing in anger I think. Fortunately the Insurers agree!
    You should probably be putting some sort of frost protection heating in your loft that stops the temperature dropping to zero.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 3rd Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Our stopcock inside was working and we had a full winter check a few weeks ago !
    If you say so.

• Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 4th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    If you say so.

Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    it's part of our energy supplier's package
    • Furts
    • By Furts 4th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    Furts
    it's part of our energy supplier's package
    Which leaves two scenarios. Either your energy supplier could not be bothered to check the state of the inadequate, or missing, insulation or they did do a proper job here but you could not be bothered to follow up on their recommendations.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 4th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Which leaves two scenarios. Either your energy supplier could not be bothered to check the state of the inadequate, or missing, insulation or they did do a proper job here but you could not be bothered to follow up on their recommendations.
    Originally posted by Furts
    Well you would think.

But these days its always somebody elses fault.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 7th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    You!!!8217;d need to know exact location of pipe/stopcock whose land its on and whose pipe it is if any Wayleaves and Easements etc yours sounds like shared supply if so there should have been a stopcock on pavement or boundary of properties from street /highway etc.
    As guide
    https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/report-a-leak/water-supply-pipe-responsibilities/

https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/globalassets/documents/spsv3_0914_final.pdf

It!!!8217;s a little confusing although your own stopcock/valve should be maintained/ working in respect of insurance doesn!!!8217;t make you liable in the same as the suppliers one not working or being inaccessible if this is suppliers then you /they or agent authorised should have right of access unless otherwise stated in deeds etc.

So depending on above you may well have a claim against you neighbours personally I very much doubt damage will come near to potential legal cost ?
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 07-03-2018 at 4:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin