Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ukwmo
    • By ukwmo 2nd Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 96Thanks
    ukwmo
    Changing car, insurance admin charge & bad weather
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    Changing car, insurance admin charge & bad weather 2nd Mar 18 at 8:07 PM
    Hi peeps,
    I guess this is a vent, but also to ask you how to proceed.

My car insurance is with RAC. I'm in the middle of changing car, my old car is being traded in.
    I was supposed to collect my new car today but I live in a rural area and the roads were blocked by drifting snow & snowdrifts. So I phoned the garage and said we'd have to cancel the changeover today and go for it perhaps tomorrow or Sunday instead.

I'd already phoned RAC tail end of last week, told them about the change of car, arranged cover for the new car from today and had been told that policy change would cost 25.00. Fair enough.

But when I phoned RAC earlier this afternoon, to tell them about the delay and to keep my old car insured for another day or two, they said that would count as another policy change ... and another 25.00 admin fee. And that when the weather clears up and I have another date to collect the new car, I'll need to phone them again and that will count as a third policy change and yet another 25.00 charge.

75.00 for admin charges because of a delay caused entirely by the weather ? Is that reasonable, do you think ? I'm a bit p'd off about it. The chap I spoke to at RAC wasn't budging at all.

How to proceed ?
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 2nd Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    Well you have amended your policy 3 times so if your T & C's say 25 per amendment then it seems fair enough.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 2nd Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    Not it's not reasonable, I take it you won't be renewing with RAC . . .

• giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 3rd Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    It is certainly unreasonable and exploitative. The local press might like a story of this nature. I would certainly complain by Facebook or Twitter if they do either of those.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 3rd Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    Unreasonable & harsh IMHO. I've been annoyed by admin changes, suppose I should have checked, but like most, I go off the headline price.
    I'm with direct line atm - no charge to change to a new car, no charge when I transferred a cherished number either.
    Vote with your feet at renewal!
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 5th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    I would see if day insurance for the "old" car would be cheaper?
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 3,322 Posts
    • 2,910 Thanks
    takman
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    I always ring up or do it online when I'm picking up the car and I also do the tax online at the same time just in case it doesn't go ahead at the right time. What if you phone up and arrange it to change over at 1pm for example but you get delayed and have a crash at 1:30pm in the car that has just become uninsured, it's not worth the effort.

But I don't think the charges are unreasonable because you agreed to them when you took out the policy and you will have to be making 3 calls and changing the policy 3 times using your method, so 3 admin charges is arguably fair.

Plus considering your trading in your old car to the place your buying another one then 75 is nothing compared to the money your "loosing" on that deal !
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 8,494 Posts
    • 8,805 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    Unreasonable and RAC go hand in hand IME. Incompetent and dishonest was my experience of them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin