Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 2nd Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    International wire transfer
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    International wire transfer 2nd Mar 18 at 8:00 PM
    On the 12th Feb 2018 a wire transfer was done from a Canadian bank to my Barclays account in the UK. The amount was over 1000.00 sterling. I was told it can take up to 10 working days but money still has not arrived. I made contact with sending bank and was advised that anti money laundering where involved. It's a legitimate business account money is coming from and legitimate personal savings account. What does this mean also does it mean money will not be transferred to my account and how long can all this take. They have not asked me for any further details as of yet either.
    Any I formation would be of help.

Thanks
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    Where anti money laundering checks are involved you are unlikely to be told anything, it's surprising you were told even that. Is it the Canadian bank doing this or Barclays? The Canadian account holder (yourself?) should have source of funds documentation ready, initiate a complaint if it takes much longer, and request transfer confirmation details to present to Barclays if it has actually been sent already (do you know?).
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 3rd Mar 18, 2:08 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:08 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:08 AM
    I'm not the sender but receiver, I've contacted Barclays here but they can't see the transfer at all. They asked for a transaction number but the one given by the Canadian bank does not bring anything up it's actually too short of a number. Don't know what information is needed to enable Barclays to bring up details of transfer.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 3rd Mar 18, 6:23 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:23 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:23 AM
    Unsurprisingly I know nothing about Canadian law but itís very surprising that the sending bank have given you any information whatsoever about this because youíre not their customer. I would not expect any UK bank to even acknowledge that a payment had been made let alone say that itís being held up for money laundering checks.

Also, thereís no reason why this payment would take 10 days. Even with the time difference this should be done in a couple of working days at most.

Something seems wildly amiss here.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    I also don't see, if you or your own business don't hold the Canadian account, how that bank would be giving you any information.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 4,014 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    You don't seem to have much luck with Canadian Bank to UK transfers.

How does the current problem relate to your previous one - is it the same transaction re-begun? Or something entirely different?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73740114
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 3rd Mar 18, 11:36 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:36 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:36 PM
    On the 12th Feb 2018 a wire transfer was done from a Canadian bank to my Barclays account in the UK. The amount was over 1000.00 sterling. I was told it can take up to 10 working days but money still has not arrived. I made contact with sending bank and was advised that anti money laundering where involved. It's a legitimate business account money is coming from and legitimate personal savings account. What does this mean also does it mean money will not be transferred to my account and how long can all this take. They have not asked me for any further details as of yet either.
    Any I formation would be of help.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bizzleb109
    Grossly oversimplified, cash credits have to come from a recognised source or otherwise it is suspected of being fraud including money laundering. As I understand it all foreign sources are unrecognised when the credit is cash. You might possibly have been better to request a cheque and deposit that even though you would have to pay fees.

You probably won't hear anything at all while they investigate. The investigation will likely be started by Barclays with reference to the Canadian bank which will likely respond with a statement showing where the money has come from. If that is the result of a cash deposit start worrying.
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 4th Mar 18, 12:48 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:48 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:48 AM
    My uncle owns quite a few motels in Canada and USA the money is coming from a legitimate business account ie maybe personal account which he has had for many years. In regards to a cheque that was already deposited but for some reason didn't meet regulations hence reason for wire transfer. If it's being investigated for money laundering how long does a investigation normally take and won't they make contact for further information?
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 4th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    Your bank will take as long as they feel necessary to clear the funds and have the absolute right to return them to the remitter if they are not completely satisfied. They will not communicate to you about it unless they have questions.

The same level of checks would be performed on a cheque.

The bank (whether yours, the Canadian or their intemidiary) are following the law in what they are doing. As frustrating as this is Iím afraid that all you can do is wait.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 5th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    I'm not really concerned about the investigation but just wanted to know how long it could possibly take?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    eDicky
    I'm not really concerned about the investigation but just wanted to know how long it could possibly take?
    Your guess is as good as ours, could be days or several weeks. It's probably a simple case, electronically flagged, and is waiting its turn to come to the attention of the relevant department. You have never made it clear whether the money has actually been sent and who is doing the checks, but if you know and you're impatient then a complaint to them may or may not focus their attention.
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 5th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    The thing is when I call Barclays here about the wire transfer they keep saying they can't see anything. Is that cos they don't wanna disclose anything to me? If so can I still make a complaint? Is it worth me complaining or should I just wait for outcome and what's a length of time should wait?
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 5th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Ballard
    If they are investigating for possible money laundering they are legally obliged not to inform you about it. If they did it would implicate them on a charge of tipping off.
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 5th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    So there is nothing I can do even if I have not received my money or money returned to sender let's say after 4 weeks?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    eDicky
    I was told it can take up to 10 working days but money still has not arrived. I made contact with sending bank and was advised that anti money laundering where involved.
    You made contact yourself, or your uncle? Who told you these things? Do you have reason to believe the money was sent from the Canadian bank already?
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 6th Mar 18, 1:40 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    Yes I've been speaking with the bank person and my relative in Canada. The bank person told me she had placed a trace with the corp dept of my bank to chase where money has gone. She told me can take Upton 20 days for a response. I contacted my relative that sent money to enquire and he told me that the transaction is with anti money laundering.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 6th Mar 18, 3:17 AM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 14,887 Thanks
    Westie983
    Sounds like you either have to wait for whatever checks they are doing or contact Barclays again, if the money has left the Canadian account.

I notice you have had this issue before but it was with an international bankers draft, was that ever sorted? is this wire transfer related to the cheque that you could not cash due to additional checks?

You are right that they can take a while to be process sometimes up to 28 days, when you filled out the paperwork at Barclays you should have been given a time frame for processing and a reference number of the application.

With these details Barclays can chase up international payments and find out the status.

I like the others are surprised that you have been told its been held up due to 'Money laundering were involved" as others have said it could be seen as tipping someone off...

Is this money coming from a business account in Canada? or your Uncles personal account that he uses for his business?

The second option could be the problem.

Would speaks to Barclays again tomorrow with the reference number and explain that its been more then the time frame you were given and you are chasing up for more details.

If they are reluctant to give you information over the phone, as them to put it in writing to you, so you have something to use to forward to the ombudsman if you need to escalate this problem higher.

My personal thoughts are that it has been stopped from the Canadian side, and you just need to wait till investigations have been completed.

It also cant hurt to get your uncle of board from the other side, even if it has been debited from his account, you as the recipient have not recieved it and you need to know why there is a delay and when the delay will be sorted and time frame given.

Good luck and please come back and update us, as its always polite to those who have helped you and for others who may have this issue in the future who may come across this thread.

Always nice to finish with a positive if not a closure to a issue/problem.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £750/£1,000 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £11,872.59/£15,865 = 74.83%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Bizzleb109
    • By Bizzleb109 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bizzleb109
    Yes I did start of with bankers draft but that didn't come thru so we have tried to wire that money over and now this. Everytime I call Barclays they say they can't see any payment via wire transfer for that amount. I've asked the Canadian bank for transaction ref no and was sent a receipt but Barclays here don't recognise the transaction number. So don't know what else I can do to chase it up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,343Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin