Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snowwhyte
    • By snowwhyte 2nd Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 489Thanks
    snowwhyte
    My DRO journey
    • 2nd Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    My DRO journey 2nd Mar 18 at 2:13 PM
    I've decided I want to keep a record of my DRO journey. I think it will help me to clarify my thoughts and reduce the stress of the process since I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.
    I'm a carer for my grandparents and registered as self employed so i can earn some extra money online. I don't earn very much and used credit cards to keep me going and ended up borrowing more to keep up with payments until I couldn't keep up anymore. I finally acknowledged that i had a problem and started researching my options online. Of the options available a DRO seemed like the most suitable for me.
    I phoned the Business Debt Line on the 27th Feb and after being on hold for forty minutes I spoke to an advisor. They explained my options and went through my budget and agreed to send me an application pack. I applied for a new bank account with Nationwide and requested a credit report from Experian. Today my DRO application pack and my credit report arrived in the post. I'm planning on doing my application over the weekend and posting it on Monday. I'll also send letter to my creditors.
Page 2
    • MrMeMe
    • By MrMeMe 11th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrMeMe
    thats great news. what questions did they ask? was it just going through the amounts you put on the form and if they were still aplicaable?
    • snowwhyte
    • By snowwhyte 11th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    snowwhyte
    They explained the DRO process, how it would affect me going forward and my responsibilities if my circumstances changed. They asked if I was in a DMP or IVA or if I'd ever been bankrupt or had a DRO before.
    Then we went through the details in my application. They didn't ask for updated payment amounts because those could change before the final application is ready to be submitted.
    It was all very straightforward, nothing to be worried about.
    • snowwhyte
    • By snowwhyte 12th May 18, 3:36 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    snowwhyte
    My final application arrived in the post this morning so that was quick. I have to complete it and get it back to them by May 21st or they'll cancel the application. It comes with 2nd class free post envelope but I might not be able to make a trip into town until next Thursday so I will probably post it 1st class signed for so I can be sure it reaches them on time.
    • snowwhyte
    • By snowwhyte 16th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    snowwhyte
    I went to the post office, paid my fee and posted my application off first class signed for. I'm a bit paranoid because the letter with the application said that if they don't receive everything by the 21st May they will cancel the application. I would not trust the Royal Mail to get an important, time sensitive letter to it's destination on time if it was going 2nd class.
    • snowwhyte
    • By snowwhyte 17th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    snowwhyte
    I got a phone call from my intermediary today. They received my application today. I confirmed that they had accurate amounts and that I wanted to go ahead. She is submitting it today and I should hear by Monday. She doesn't think there will be any problems since I have a very straightforward application.
    • Twubble
    • By Twubble 18th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Twubble
    Excellent news. Not long now.
    • snowwhyte
    • By snowwhyte 21st May 18, 1:46 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    snowwhyte
    I just got the text from my intermediary. My DRO has been approved. What a relief.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin