Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NZ2019
    • By NZ2019 2nd Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NZ2019
    Tenant - boiler repairs
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    Tenant - boiler repairs 2nd Mar 18 at 10:12 AM
    Hi, could somebody please tell me if my landlord is obliged to repair the thermostat/room temperature control dial to my boiler? It isn't working and it is so difficult to regulate the heat in my house, and I have high gas bills too. Thank you so much.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 2nd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    Hi, could somebody please tell me if my landlord is obliged to repair the thermostat/room temperature control dial to my boiler? It isn't working and it is so difficult to regulate the heat in my house, and I have high gas bills too. Thank you so much.
    Originally posted by NZ2019

Possibly, but it may be simpler to get it repaired yourself - has there been a quote for this?

I cant see it being overly expensive.
    • NZ2019
    • By NZ2019 2nd Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NZ2019
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    Possibly, but it may be simpler to get it repaired yourself - has there been a quote for this?

I cant see it being overly expensive.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Hi, thanks for your response. I've had quotes from between 100 and 200 but it's a cost I don't want to pay if I shouldn't have to.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 2nd Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    If it has been damaged or failed because of abuse or improper use (which is unlikely) then it would be for you to cover the cost of the repair. Otherwise, I would view this as the landlord's responsibility.

What has your landlord said about this issue?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 2nd Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 6,953 Posts
    • 5,715 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    If the radiators have trv's these can be used to limit overheating rooms.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Dorian1958
    • By Dorian1958 3rd Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Dorian1958
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    Provided you didn't damage it through abuse it is the landlord responsibility. Refer to your tenancy agreement for how to report faults in the property.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 4th Mar 18, 12:42 AM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 1,345 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:42 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:42 AM
    It depends on where you stay
    In Scotland the landlord has a duty to maintain things like the heating at the start and throughout the tenancy
    baldly going on...
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 4th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 16,681 Posts
    • 41,267 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    Ask and see what the response is.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 4th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    Has the landlord refused to fix it?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 17,369 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The landlord has a legal duty to provide functioning heating. There's no legal duty to ensure a certain standard of adjustability or control.

If it's simply the thermostat that's playing up, a direct replacement is going to be cheap and very simple to fit. Pic of it?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 9,528 Posts
    • 12,781 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    You don't mention what sort of landlord - Council, Housing association, housing co-op, The Crown, private... - could you please let us know as the rights of the tenant vary by landlord type (& other things... eg tenancy type, when you moved in..)

If you haven't already, 1st step: Write (yes, WRITE or email,, keep copy) to landlord (yes LANDLORD, copy any agent) a letter using Shelter's draft here
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord
    - then follow up with the advice from that link.
    • takman
    • By takman 4th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 3,316 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    takman
    You don't mention what sort of landlord - Council, Housing association, housing co-op, The Crown, private... - could you please let us know as the rights of the tenant vary by landlord type (& other things... eg tenancy type, when you moved in..)

If you haven't already, 1st step: Write (yes, WRITE or email,, keep copy) to landlord (yes LANDLORD, copy any agent) a letter using Shelter's draft here
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord
    - then follow up with the advice from that link.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    From the sound of it it's just a 20 dial thermostat that needs replacing which is very simple to do. Why bother wasting time writing to the Landlord when they could order one now and it would be here by Tuesday and they could fit it the same day.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 5th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    Would one of these work?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOHRT3.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,981Posts Today

8,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin