Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 2nd Mar 18, 1:48 AM
    • 83Posts
    • 27Thanks
    emperorstevee
    Marriage Costs
    • 2nd Mar 18, 1:48 AM
    Marriage Costs 2nd Mar 18 at 1:48 AM
    Hello everyone,

Myself and my partner are planning on getting married. My partner has been doing the planning and she tells me that it is going to cost 17k. We make less than 20k/yr combined. I know that weddings cost a lot, but 17k seems an awful lot?
Page 6
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 24,010 Thanks
    Slinky
    I don!!!8217;t have a problem sharing it. We!!!8217;re building a Lego minifigure representation of each guest. So we!!!8217;ll build it to look like them and include a few accessories based on either their hobbies, their career, a funny personal thing about them or their nickname. I!!!8217;m sure our guests will enjoy it and will prompt conversation between strangers wondering why their minifig is clutching the items they are.

It!!!8217;s not totally random, Lego is actually a pretty big hobby of mine so it fits well in being a memento of us without actually splashing anything about our wedding across it.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Thanks for sharing.

This post has prompted me to finally go and throw away a pebble painted with my OH's name and accompanying piece of string! This was from a wedding he attended on his own, the couple were scouts, the string is in some sort of knot which is supposed to bring good luck. This blessed thing has been cluttering up a windowsill for 16 years.......... it's now residing in the bin.

It has annoyed me for a long time, I've never even met the couple.

I will probably never have any luck ever again now. Oh dear.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 13,953 Posts
    • 18,372 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    So your wedding was not in an hotel which would expect a profit on drink sales, then?
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Errr... no. The wedding reception was in the garden of my wife's uncle's house. Chosen to cut costs and because it was where her parents had their wedding reception. It wasn't a formal reception, it was more an informal garden party.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin