Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steveouk
    • By steveouk 1st Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 295Posts
    • 100Thanks
    steveouk
    Ttc male infertility is there hope?
    • 1st Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    Ttc male infertility is there hope? 1st Mar 18 at 7:39 PM
    Hi

I and my wife went for a fertility MoT last Saturday at a private clinic. We have been trying forr over 2 years and had no luck. We got the results on the day and although we my other half needs to lose weight it turns out i am the main problem.

My sperm count is 4 million when it should be at least 15 million and i was told the other 2 factors were also not good. I have been advised to lose a little weight and a healthy lifestyle. I don't drink a great deal and have now cut it out totally. My diet was not good but i have now taken action on this and have cut out cake, biscuits, and chocolate. I am sticking to whole grains and much more fruit and veg. Nuts and spinach as well.

I don't really have hot baths or sauna etc and am now trying to be more active and do 30 mins exercise a day. I am very stress and am going to try to take time out to relax.

My question really is will this help, and has anyone any further advice from experience? We are going back for another sperm test at the end of May.
Page 1
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 1st Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 7,710 Posts
    • 16,830 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    I haven't had any experience of infertility, but I've heard that men should wear boxer shorts and should not cycle if possible. This is because wearing close fitting underwear or cycling can both cause sperm to die because of overheating. Whether there is any truth in it, I have no idea.

Good luck with the next test, and I hope that you and your wife are successful in the future.
    • sassyblue
    • By sassyblue 1st Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 8,120 Thanks
    sassyblue
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    In answer to your question 'is there hope?' I would answer YES, absolutely.

You do have a sperm count, it might be less than normal or average (or whatever) but it only takes one swimmer.

You've been given some good advice to get healthy and there's every chance you could increase your sperm count.

Doctors never found anything wrong with me or hubby, ours was 'unexplained infertility' (annoying because you don't know what to treat if you could), it took us 8 years but we are blessed with one son. Don't ever lose sight of your goal and I wish you luck you aren't waiting for long x

ETA. don't get hung up on the stress you are under, lots of people conceive whilst under great stress, hopefully whatever your other two factors were can be treated or can improve.
    Last edited by sassyblue; 01-03-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    Always overpaying on mortgage.

Happy moneysaving all.

• steveouk
    • By steveouk 2nd Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    steveouk
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    Thanks.

We have been recommended that i take a supplement for 4 months. It is called Condensyl and only the company who makes it sells it so its not cheap at £165 for the 4 month supply, not cheap but not as expensive as IVF if we had to go for that. Has anyone tried this supplement i have not ordered it yet.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 13,957 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    A quick google shows it available for £35 for 30 tablets.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • steveouk
    • By steveouk 2nd Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    steveouk
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    yes but they say i need to take for 4 months in order to make sure it works as it takes 3 months to fully have new sperm made by the body
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 2nd Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 16,684 Posts
    • 41,272 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    Sorry to ask but how old are you both? If you are both in your 20s, then there is no harm in giving it a go and have another test in 3/6months time as indeed, sperm quality/quantity can improve. If your wife is young and healthy, she could get pregnant with a less than good semen, however, if she is getting closer to 40, the chances with a sperm count under 5m makes it almost impossible to get pregnant. IVF/ICSI success is significant higher the younger, and is falls to under 10% after 40, the early you can try IVF, if you can afford it or get it on the NHS the better (most NHS have a cut off of 40yo at start of treatment anyway).
    • steveouk
    • By steveouk 2nd Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    steveouk
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    I am 35 will be 36 I'm October. My wife is 34 and turns 35 in may. Looking into it we could wait 6 months for seeing someone on the nhs then have to wait 12 months before ivf can start.
    I don't know if they would shorten this given that we already have test results.

The private ivf us nearly 10k I don't know if you have to pay in the nhs? There are only two cycles funded here.
    • djohnst
    • By djohnst 3rd Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    djohnst
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    We went through pretty much exactly the same, I know how frustrating it can be. I too tightened up my lifestyle, avoided tight clothing, knocked off the electric blanket, avoided cycling, but unfortunately for us didn't solve the issue.

Looking back at it now, if we had our time again we wouldn't waste so much time on testing with the NHS. That's by no means a criticism of the NHS and the great people who work for it, but a recognition of the fact that the machine moves slowly for something non life threatening. We probably spent over a year searching for a diagnosis for exactly the reason you describe - huge waits between appointments.

We were lucky enough to be able to opt for private IVF/ICSI which worked first time on both occasions and we are now parents to a 3 year old and a 6 week old.

Interestingly, I did get a lot fitter between the first one and the second, and my sperm count the second time had rocketed by comparison to the first - still low enough to be problematic, but a huge jump from previous.
    • steveouk
    • By steveouk 4th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    steveouk
    We went through pretty much exactly the same, I know how frustrating it can be. I too tightened up my lifestyle, avoided tight clothing, knocked off the electric blanket, avoided cycling, but unfortunately for us didn't solve the issue.

Looking back at it now, if we had our time again we wouldn't waste so much time on testing with the NHS. That's by no means a criticism of the NHS and the great people who work for it, but a recognition of the fact that the machine moves slowly for something non life threatening. We probably spent over a year searching for a diagnosis for exactly the reason you describe - huge waits between appointments.

We were lucky enough to be able to opt for private IVF/ICSI which worked first time on both occasions and we are now parents to a 3 year old and a 6 week old.

Interestingly, I did get a lot fitter between the first one and the second, and my sperm count the second time had rocketed by comparison to the first - still low enough to be problematic, but a huge jump from previous.
    Originally posted by djohnst

I wish we had the check up last year then at least i could have made the changes sooner. It does sound like it takes a lot longer than 3 months to make a difference.

Well i have moved to new loose underwear. Don't cycle and have not really. I am trying to not consume caffeine or alcohol. I am not massively overweight but did have a very high fat % so am trying to get that down. I have been told that relaxing and reducing stress has a major effect but that is easier said than done.

It seems that we may have to go down the IVF route but while i think it is worth a try my wife says 10k is a huge amount to spend when it could not even work and its 10k gone that we had in savings.

I suppose the other thing is that most of the savings we have have been built up by my wife. It does not feel right that she has saved all this money and i am the one with the problem yet i cant put as much into the pot to help as my wages are much lower than hers.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 4th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 16,684 Posts
    • 41,272 Thanks
    FBaby
    Anything you can do to help is a bonus, but in all likelihood most likely not to be enough. Your wife should be tested for FHS (if not already done) and AMH. This will give an indication of the quality of her eggs. Fertility start to decrease quite a bit after the woman turns 35, so if I were you, I would get going with IVF/ICSI right away, with the NHS if you can't afford it privately. If you go the ICSI route, your semen becomes irrelevant as they will be able to pick good swimmers, it is then all down to the lady and her eggs to make it happen, although of course, there is then also nature and what we don't understand that gets into play to decide whether the egg will get fertilised, grow to become a feotus.

Djohnst, congratulations on your second baby! You were very lucky that a pregnancy resulted from IVF both times.
    • steveouk
    • By steveouk 4th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    steveouk
    Ok so we get the results of the AMH test tomorrow. Not sure what the FHS is ?

I think we will try for another 6 months then look at the IVF/ICSI route. They will explain the options when we go in May. The wait for IVF in Wales is said to be quite long but i will speak with my nhs doctor on Thursday when i see him. the best bet seem to be going private but my wife is reluctant to go through the cost and stress of ivf.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 4th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 8,341 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I am not massively overweight but did have a very high fat % so am trying to get that down.
    Originally posted by steveouk
    Out of curiosity what do you consider a very high fat percentage?

All of those changes will help and improving your health and weight will prove beneficial too. Your age is an issue as your chances of conceiving will have reduced which is why itís generally recommended to start having children in your late 20s/early 30s. However itís probably worth making lifestyle choices and giving it 6 months to a year to see if it makes a difference. Youíve still a while to consider IVF.
    • steveouk
    • By steveouk 4th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    steveouk
    my fat % is 27.7. it is only in the last 2 years it has got high. I am 6ft tall and weight 13st 7. I used to be 11st 6. so there is 2 stone i need to lose from being in an active job to now being in a sedentary job. My fat % used to be around 18%
    In terms of exercise i was going to do HIT training to lose the weight but i can see the advise is gentle exercise to go over the top. I am have signed up for the 10k steps in march for cancer research and have done 20k of steps Thursday fri and sat!!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 4th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 8,341 Thanks
    Gavin83
    my fat % is 27.7. it is only in the last 2 years it has got high. I am 6ft tall and weight 13st 7. I used to be 11st 6. so there is 2 stone i need to lose from being in an active job to now being in a sedentary job. My fat % used to be around 18%
    In terms of exercise i was going to do HIT training to lose the weight but i can see the advise is gentle exercise to go over the top. I am have signed up for the 10k steps in march for cancer research and have done 20k of steps Thursday fri and sat!!
    Originally posted by steveouk
    I think thatís good progress and will certainly help.

My body fat is apparently around the same, although I do somewhat doubt the accuracy of the machine. I have a BMI of 25 and while Iíve a bit of a beer belly going on Iím certainly not what youíd consider fat to look at, while close to 30% body fat sounds almost obese to me. At my peak it was somewhere between 11-12% but I was extremely fit then. However according to the said machine Iíve lost 2% in a month so going in the right direction I guess. Iím getting married later this year so I too have a motivator to aim for!

Good luck with your weight loss and your fertility, hopefully we can both report back at the end of the year with our new found flat bellyís and maybe even pregnancy news on your part.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 4th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Maybe you should stop 'trying' you often hear of people giving up all hope then falling pregnant when the 'trying' has stopped and it happening when you have just adopted or on holiday.
    I don't have children(by choice) and you can indeed have a lovely life without them but sometimes it just seems to get all consuming and there is no other option than to have a baby.
    Anything you do health wise is bound to make a difference to you and will make you feel better about yourself. I guess it is heartbreaking not to be able to have a baby just when you want one but as someone else said it only takes one little swimmer, just relax and let him swim, good luck xx
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 5th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 5,129 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    Kynthia
    You have a sperm count so there is hope. Eat healthily, dont put a hot laptop on your lap and take your supplements (I've heard of men taking folic acid amongst other things). Your wife losing weight will be good for her cycle too.

Is she tracking when she ovulates? Taking her basal body temperature each morning and using a Clear Blue Fertility Monitor can help identify when in her cycle this happens. You only conceive when you ovulate and the egg is only viable for 24 hours. So you need to have been doing the deed for the four days before ovulation, the day of and perhaps the day after. The 'sperm meets egg plan' is good for helping ensure you are doing the right things on the right day as you can't conceive if you aren't.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin