Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 1st Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 19,129Posts
    • 86,663Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    Cold Weather Payment Timescale
    • 1st Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    Cold Weather Payment Timescale 1st Mar 18 at 7:29 PM
    Hey everyone.

I'm eligible for Cold Weather Payments and the checker says that our area has had 1 period I can claim for.

I know the website says payments will be made within 14 days. Does anyone know whether it tends to be at the earlier or later end of that timescale, please?

We're having to have the heating on more and already live on a strict budget so just want to factor this payment in when paying my gas bill.

Thanks in advance.
    January wins: *4 piece bamboo towel bale* *Winter Wonderland break*
    Win £2018 in £2018: £816.26/£2018
Page 1
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 1st Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 1st Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    Hey everyone.

I'm eligible for Cold Weather Payments and the checker says that our area has had 1 period I can claim for.

I know the website says payments will be made within 14 days. Does anyone know whether it tends to be at the earlier or later end of that timescale, please?

We're having to have the heating on more and already live on a strict budget so just want to factor this payment in when paying my gas bill.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by LadyMorticia
    Whatever the DWP website says, Will be accurate. Just use £25 from another budget and replace with the cold weather payment...

Lucky you, Here in the KA20 area, West coast of Scotland we got nothing and it's been just as cold as everywhere else.
    • venison
    • By venison 1st Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 2,306 Thanks
    venison
    • 1st Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    They tend to be fairly quick IIRC
    Ex Board Guide
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 5,415 Posts
    • 7,593 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    Been getting a bit worried as I am normally very sparing with heating due to finances but in this weather even wearing jumpers hasn't been sufficient. Had one of my dogs shivering (badly timed grooming), keep covering him with a blanket but the blessed mutt won't stay still lol. So have had central heating on a LOT more than usual.

Just learned we qualify this week (been checking it since yesterday morning).., so that will help. Huge relief.

Fortunately i get DLA next week so already decided to use that to cover this month's extra fuel bill. But I have been finding more and more that I am having to use the DLA just to cover normal expenses so not necessarily going to help. Normally I spend £5 to £10 a week on gas, so I know its going to be more like £25 this week.

So very relieved. Don't care when it arrives, as long as it does. I am due to get the warm home discount too but that WILL be delayed because I've changed from a prepayment meter to a credit meter.

Also gotta replace letter box (get one with flap and brushes). Just didn't realise the effect the broken letter box has on the house temperature - only lived here for six months. Going to be looking at one very draughty window too.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 02-03-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 2nd Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    I was just curious how this is all worked out.

An elderly relative of mine lives in the Ilford IG postcode area - which is not getting a payment yet this week. But her friend a few streets away is covered by a Romford RM postcode and qualifies.

Seemingly the Romford area is covered by the weather station in Gravesend - 30 miles away across the Thames in Kent. Ilford - and most of the rest of east London - is covered by the weather station at Heathrow on completely the other side of London (which also covers central and west London and south east London) where the weather has not been as cold. Heathrow is in a warmer built up area - Gravesend is on the Thames Estuary - and neither reflects the weather on the ground where my relative and her friend live.

The weather has been just a cold in Ilford as Romford - but residents of the latter qualify because the weather stations used are different and 30 miles away in opposite directions. An area that borders both - RM4 covering Abridge/Hainault forest etc - is measured from a station far away near Stansted. Its barmy - these areas are essentially one built up area.

If the Met office can produce different forecasts for even small towns - why doesnt the cold weather payment system reflect that too?
    Last edited by Rich2808; 02-03-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 2nd Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 2nd Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    They've changed it then because barking used to come on to Heathrow while Dagenham came under stanstead.

Was a lot of fast one year because Stansted paid out more often than Heathrow and so they change Dagenham to Heathrow as well.

That was about 20 years ago so quite possibly they've changed it again since/B]
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 2nd Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    They've changed it then because barking used to come on to Heathrow while Dagenham came under stanstead.

Was a lot of fast one year because Stansted paid out more often than Heathrow and so they change Dagenham to Heathrow as well.

That was about 20 years ago so quite possibly they've changed it again since/B]
    Originally posted by Nannytone
    Dagenham (RM) is now measured by reference to Gravesend - Barking (IG) by reference to Heathrow. Same borough - two different weather stations no where near either. Poor people in Dagenham get payments poor people in Barking dont. In Redbridge borough residents of Chadwell Heath (RM) get payments but those in Goodmayes and Newbury park (next door) do not as they are IG. The boundary between IG and RM literally runs down the middle of small side roads.

Barking indeed - a complete postcode lottery!

Given the appalling weather this week nationally could we not just give £25 to everyone who meets the low income/benefits eligibility whereever they live as a special case?
    Last edited by Rich2808; 02-03-2018 at 8:30 PM.
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 3rd Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    GaleSF63
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:12 AM

Lucky you, Here in the KA20 area, West coast of Scotland we got nothing and it's been just as cold as everywhere else.
    Originally posted by paragon909
    I'm 40 to 50 miles north of you and we share the same weather station (Bishopton).

Between here and Bishopton it can be like two different climates sometimes.
    • elle may
    • By elle may 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    elle may
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    Hey everyone.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by LadyMorticia
    My W station is Albemarle NE and received a payment on the 20 Dec. The date's were 14 Dec to 16 Dec so pretty quick Looked on Gov website and we are due another one as two have been issued. It is a godsend in this weather.
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 3rd Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    I am new to all this.

It doesn't seem the fairest system as surely they could go off local temperatures?

Anyway how does the payment happen? Is it paid into the bank that the benefit (IS in our case) goes into?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 2,769 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I am new to all this.

It doesn't seem the fairest system as surely they could go off local temperatures?

Anyway how does the payment happen? Is it paid into the bank that the benefit (IS in our case) goes into?
    Originally posted by Cyclamen
    It paid seperate to the benefit and has CWP next to it. IS alone won't qualify you for the CWP.

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and have any of the following:
    • a disability or pensioner premium
    • a child who is disabled
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    • a child under 5 living with you
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 4th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    Thanks Poppy.

I'll ask my husband to look out for CWP as our IS goes into his account.

We should qualify with the disability criteria.. I am on PiP enhanced for both parts and ESA support and my husband has standard PIP daily living part. As we had to show all our income when we applied for IS I assume this is on our records somewhere. I shall watch and wait.. but oh boy it would help as we've needed the heating on a LOT more than normal this last week.
    • Gig1968
    • By Gig1968 5th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gig1968
    Anyone received their payment for last week's weather yet
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 5th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    paragon909
    I'm 40 to 50 miles north of you and we share the same weather station (Bishopton).

Between here and Bishopton it can be like two different climates sometimes.
    Originally posted by GaleSF63
    Seems my postcode is now getting a cold weather payment. Says it used Auchincruive weather station to determine.

25 February 2018 to 3 March 2018
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 6th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 7,382 Posts
    • 10,650 Thanks
    KxMx
    I have a payment due for 23 Feb to 1 Mar, showing on bank account as going in tomorrow.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 6th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Rich2808
    A cold weather payment has finally been triggered for those postcodes covered by the Heathrow weather station!

So low income households in Ilford and Barking - and indeed almost all of London - are now due a payment.

https://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk/
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 2,769 Thanks
    poppy12345
    A cold weather payment has finally been triggered for those postcodes covered by the Heathrow weather station!

So low income households in Ilford and Barking - and indeed almost all of London - are now due a payment.

https://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk/
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    Not everyone on low income will be entitled to this payment.
    https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 7th Mar 18, 12:58 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Rich2808
    Not everyone on low income will be entitled to this payment.
    https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes - I am aware not all are eligible. But the Heathrow weather station covers a huge number of areas across London and beyond. So it's a positive for those who will now qualify for a payment.
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 7th Mar 18, 3:57 AM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    My area got a trigger last week but not been paid it yet.

has anyone got a payment yet?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Mar 18, 5:43 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 2,769 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My area got a trigger last week but not been paid it yet.

has anyone got a payment yet?
    Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    Yes, today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

760Posts Today

6,147Users online

Martin's Twitter