Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 1st Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 75Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    MSE News: New Ofcom rules to help those with...
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    MSE News: New Ofcom rules to help those with... 1st Mar 18 at 6:09 PM
    Major broadband providers will have to give customers a better idea of the actual speeds they'll get before they sign up from next year...

Read the full story:

'New Ofcom rules to help those with slow broadband from 2019'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already,
    join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 05-03-2018 at 1:00 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 18,566 Posts
    • 12,721 Thanks
    molerat
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    The changes, which will come in on 1 March 2019, will apply to the providers which are signed up to Ofcom's voluntary code of practice, including the biggest firms such as BT, Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media. However some smaller providers, including well-known ones like John Lewis and the Post Office, AREN'T signed up to the code of practice, so the new rules won't apply to everyone.
    A bit pointless then, I thought it was all about level playing fields.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 1st Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    • 37,000 Posts
    • 248,946 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 1st Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    New Ofcom rules to help those with slow broadband from 2019
    Unless they somehow actually make the broadband faster it's no real help.
    Internet goodness £24836
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    phillw
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    I can get fibre and cable, if I wanted to pay a lot more money. There is no reason for open reach to fix the normal phone lines, which are always breaking and have a really poor adsl speed.

Of course I feel for the people who can't get fast speeds at any price, but it doesn't help people like me..
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 5th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    I can get fibre and cable, if I wanted to pay a lot more money. There is no reason for open reach to fix the normal phone lines, which are always breaking and have a really poor adsl speed.

Of course I feel for the people who can't get fast speeds at any price, but it doesn't help people like me..
    Originally posted by phillw
    Not sure where you get the 'always breaking' from, the average mean time to failure rate is once every nine years, obviously some are unlucky and may get many problems, but some will get none at all , that's why it's a mean average

As far as there not being a reason for OR to fix lines ???, if they don't fix lines that are being rented by the likes of Sky, TT and BT , then OR pay compensation to that provider until they are fixed, so there is a pretty powerful reason to fix lines

ADSL is a rate adaptive system, longer lines are 'slower' than short lines, someone with poor ADSL speed isn't necessarily on a faulty line, just a long line.....long lines and faulty lines are not the same thing
    • editor1
    • By editor1 6th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    I sometimes have to laugh at folks complaining in the UK, particularly given where I live in Hong Kong we have one ASDL provider only and that costs approx £28 a month for a 3Mbps fixed line service - most of the time our service was below 1Mbps as the existing Island infrastructure is old and incapable of supporting present demand - we are connected to the network via a microwave dish.

Many of us have changed over to a 4.5G mobile solution, which costs approx £40 a month for unlimited data downloads, again though, and despite much vaunted high speeds, our service fluctuates madly, I get anything from 60Mbps down to 1Mbps down. If it rains we have zero service.

Moral of tale, don't live outside of large urban conurbations in Hong Kong, however, you then pay three times more rent. Its bloody expensive here I'm afraid!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,744Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin