Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 1st Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    MSE News: Vodafone launches b'band speed guarantee
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    MSE News: Vodafone launches b'band speed guarantee 1st Mar 18 at 6:06 PM
    Vodafone has launched a broadband minimum speed guarantee which promises to cut your monthly bill if your speed drops - but only if you tell it...
    Read the full story:
    'Vodafone's new offer will discount next month's bill if your broadband speed drops - here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 02-03-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 2nd Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 8,150 Posts
    • 5,900 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    If only Vodafone could get the basic sorted -- like answering calls, not ignoring any query that requires a call back, not leaving users weeks without broadband with no explanation...
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 2nd Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    Arklight
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    I think that!!!8217;s part of their business model isn!!!8217;t it?
    • the_real_seal
    • By the_real_seal 3rd Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    the_real_seal
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    Looks like a clever get out clause from vodafone. I've already been told to use a direct ethernet connection to check my speed which is getting as low as 1.8mbps.. interesting now the syncing speed on wifi in the app constantly says 40mbps. don't think I will get far with any help now.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 3rd Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 8,150 Posts
    • 5,900 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    Looks like a clever get out clause from vodafone. I've already been told to use a direct ethernet connection to check my speed which is getting as low as 1.8mbps.. interesting now the syncing speed on wifi in the app constantly says 40mbps. don't think I will get far with any help now.
    Originally posted by the_real_seal
    It looks like the app just reads the sync speed from the router, so if it says 40MB/s, that should be the connection you're actually getting.

If wifi speeds are low, then (assuming the router isn't faulty), there's nothing Vodafone will be able to do. No one can guarantee wireless connection speeds because there are too many unknown variables.

You could set the router to a less crowded wireless channel, move closer to the router, use Ethernet, get additional wireless access points, get powerline adaptors, or range extenders...
    • the_real_seal
    • By the_real_seal 3rd Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    the_real_seal
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    Thanks, Im already now using the ethernet cable as suggested by vodafone plugged straight into the router but its still really slow, averaging around 8mbs - was as low as 1 this evening but it still says 40mbps as the sync speed on the app. I will continue to speak to their tech team about that but if they are only looking at sync speed now they won't take any responsibility so I might have to change providers.

It looks like the app just reads the sync speed from the router, so if it says 40MB/s, that should be the connection you're actually getting.

If wifi speeds are low, then (assuming the router isn't faulty), there's nothing Vodafone will be able to do. No one can guarantee wireless connection speeds because there are too many unknown variables.

You could set the router to a less crowded wireless channel, move closer to the router, use Ethernet, get additional wireless access points, get powerline adaptors, or range extenders...
    Originally posted by esuhl
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 3rd Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 3,698 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    Thanks, Im already now using the ethernet cable as suggested by vodafone plugged straight into the router but its still really slow, averaging around 8mbs - was as low as 1 this evening but it still says 40mbps as the sync speed on the app. I will continue to speak to their tech team about that but if they are only looking at sync speed now they won't take any responsibility so I might have to change providers.
    Have you split the frequencies it normally sorts it out
    https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Vodafone-Router-WiFi-issues-Change-Settings/td-p/2581345
    Last edited by gardner1; 03-03-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    • the_real_seal
    • By the_real_seal 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    the_real_seal
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    [QUOTE=gardner1;73970645]Have you split the frequencies it normally sorts it out

Thanks, Yes I have split the frequencies as another post mentioned that, it's helped the wifi devices but the problem seems to be with the main feed into the router as it completely slows down to sometimes a standstill between 8-10pm at weekends. Im currently just using 1 device with an ethernet cable and its still really slow, if I check it via the app it still says 40mbps sync speed so not sure if it will get resolved.
    • jrsga
    • By jrsga 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jrsga
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    [QUOTE=the_real_seal;73970718]
    Have you split the frequencies it normally sorts it out

Thanks, Yes I have split the frequencies as another post mentioned that, it's helped the wifi devices but the problem seems to be with the main feed into the router as it completely slows down to sometimes a standstill between 8-10pm at weekends. Im currently just using 1 device with an ethernet cable and its still really slow, if I check it via the app it still says 40mbps sync speed so not sure if it will get resolved.
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Hi there,

I am contemplating signing up to Vodafones' Fibre (38) but did you get this resolved? From my research service drops in the evening to quite frankly unacceptable levels. I do not want to sign up for 18 months and this happens. Does anyone else have any experience of this or how it got resolved, if indeed it did?
    • Gary1963
    • By Gary1963 7th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Gary1963
    Also the app does not let you apply for the discount. My cousin's speed is 10. The guaranteed minimum is 25. Chatted online and was told that it should allow you to request the discount. It doesn't!
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 8,150 Posts
    • 5,900 Thanks
    esuhl
    The sync speed is normally a good indication of the speed your router is getting, and if you just have a single device connected, you should be able to download at (fairly close to) that speed.

If the Ethernet connection is still really slow, Vodafone should help you regardless of the displayed sync speed.

Definitely give them a call and ask them to look into it.
    • Chassy
    • By Chassy 11th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chassy
    Vodafone - Cheap but Slow...
    I was previously with Virgin, receiving my 75Mb/s broadband service via their dedicated cables (we're well-wired here in Newcastle) and frequently getting a little bit more throughput than I paid for. The costs had been creeping up gradually over the seven years I'd been with them, and although Virgin offered to upgrade me to 100Mb/s for nothing extra (75Mb/s isn't offered as a standard speed now), I decided to nearly half my costs by taking advantage of the current Vodafone offer. I joined Vodafone's 76Mb/s FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) service on the 23rd February, and although the connection has been reliable, and the latency (PING) is considerably quicker than Virgin, the throughput is much lower.
    Using the get_iplayer app on my PC hard-wired (i.e. not wi-fi) to the Virgin router, I was usually getting somewhere between 68 - 72Mb/s fairly consistently when downloading. Now using Vodafone's router (still hard-wired), throughput consistently drops to 20 - 22Mb/s, and often drops to single figures in the evening. I'm no fan of Virgin and their pretty ropey customer service, but I never noticed speeds and/or throughput dropping off at certain times of the day or days of the week.
    Now I've had BT Openreach install my new line for 60, I wont be going back to Virgin. However I'll be cancelling the Vodafone service this week, and looking for another broadband provider.
    I hoped my experiences were unusual, but Vodafone's forums are filled with invective regarding slow speeds, low throughput, and an inability to get out of a contract after the "cooling off" period.
    Of course, your mileage may vary...
    • Chassy
    • By Chassy 11th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chassy
    Just to add to my last post...

It's worth mentioning that the standard speed checking sites (like Ookla and Broadband Speed Checker) report speeds close to Vodafone's headline figures, but when used for downloading, the throughput is considerably slower (and can become completely dire in the evenings).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,017Posts Today

7,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin