Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justwilliam25
    • By justwilliam25 1st Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    justwilliam25
    Macbook Pro logic board failure/SoGA
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    Macbook Pro logic board failure/SoGA 1st Mar 18 at 4:12 PM
    Hey everyone.

I bought a Macbook Pro for around 1200 back in 2012 and, a few months ago, it stopped working. I took it to Apple who confirmed it was a logic board failure, and was an inherent hardware fault that had received some notable publicity. However, as I bought it from PC World, I had to take the report to them and ask for a replacement.

Seeing as it's a 'vintage' model (older than 5 years), it cannot be repaired. But, seeing as it's less than 6 years old, they've offered me 230 under the SoGA. Is that a fair offer? Should I take it while I can? I'm incredibly strapped for cash at the moment and was hoping for either a replacement or something a bit more generous as I need a computer for my studies!
    Last edited by justwilliam25; 01-03-2018 at 4:16 PM.
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 1st Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 7,589 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    bris
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    Bite their hands off before they change their minds.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 1st Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 7,096 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    As above, you've had 6 years use out of it & have been offered just under 20% of the original purchase price. Take it & smile
    Hiraeth
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 2nd Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 768 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    Timalay
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    What kind of work do you use your laptop for? If it's just basic word docs and emails. Maybe consider a Chromebook.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 2nd Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 5,626 Posts
    • 11,833 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    You're not going to get a new replacement for a 5year old laptop.

I definitely wouldnt be betting a new macbook at the moment as a) youre strapped for cash and b) the current offering are rubbish and overpriced (coming from a huge Apple fan! All my tech is Apple but I would not be upgrading my laptop with them now as their range is badly in need of updating)

If you NEED a macbook, look for a second hand or refurbed older model - cheaper and will be at least the same spec as what youve got.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 2nd Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    The 2015 model is the last one I would consider, the keyboard on the 2016/2017 models is causing a lot of grief to many users. The touch bar on the latter models is not essential and a bit gimmicky.

My 2012 MacBook Pro retina is still working fine, although it's a bit like Trigger's broom, it's had new screen, new logic board and new bottom case.
    • justwilliam25
    • By justwilliam25 6th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    justwilliam25
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    Thanks a lot for your input guys, really appreciated. I don't need a Macbook right now, but I need a laptop to write my dissertation due next month...and I'll need a Macbook at some point for photo and music editing.

There's a refurbished 2015 model, same spec, for 1600 currently on the Apple Store so I may have a think about that. I'm guessing the 2018 release (if there is a significant one) isn't going to be any cheaper for a 15 inch Macbook

On a slightly separate note, is AppleCare protection recommended?
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 6th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:22 PM

On a slightly separate note, is AppleCare protection recommended?
    Originally posted by justwilliam25

You may get some challenge on whether it's essential (it's probably not) - but I have it on my MacBook (it came with it when I bought from the education store, but I don't think they do that anymore) and the level of service I got when I took it to the Apple Store broken at 2 and a half years old was phenomenal.

In the end I got an upgrade to a brand new boxed newer model, so I would recommend.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 7th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    Last year I took an Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro i7 to the genuis bar as there was no video on the screen or external monitor.

They took it into the back, ran a test and within 5 minutes diagnosed a problem with the board and that there was something called a 'repair extension program' and it would be covered under that scheme. I left it with them and collected it a few days later all fixed and for free.- remember this was a 6 year old lap top at the time.

I did not buy that lap top from Apple direct but a reseller (who may not even exist any more)

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Ant555; 07-03-2018 at 4:26 PM.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 7th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Ant555
    See if your symptoms are as described here

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 7th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    I'd definitely pop into Apple with it - they may well repair it for you free of charge if you push a little.
    • justwilliam25
    • By justwilliam25 9th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    justwilliam25
    Thanks again for your helpful replies. The above issue (video issues) is exactly the problem - took it into Apple and they diagnosed it for me but said I'd have to go to PC World (the original retailer) seeing as it wasn't purchased from Apple. I think it's outside of the Extension repair scheme too... so I think that leaves me at a dead end with getting it repaired?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

802Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin