Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jleigh53
    • By Jleigh53 1st Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jleigh53
    Help to Buy repayments
    • 1st Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    Help to Buy repayments 1st Mar 18 at 1:55 PM
    Hi everyone

Iím looking for some guidance and info on repaying the equity loan on the help to buy scheme.

I want to know how the repayments work. Iíve phoned numerous people who keep redirecting me to other people who then canít give me a full explanation.

Weíre looking at a house for £160,000.
    So with a 5% deposit we need £8000.
    The help to buy put up 20%, being £32,000.

Ideally I want to get the equity loan payed off ASAP.

Realistically we wouldnít be able to afford repaying 20% back in the first five years. And from my understanding you can either pay back 10% of the house value or the full 20% in those years. So if I plan to pay back 10% I understand we need to get the house valued first and then pay 10% of itís value.

So after the five years we then get charged interest in the remaining amount? During this period can we make monthly payments to pay back the remaining 10% + interest or do we only pay back the interest? And can I pay off lump sums of the remaining loan??

Thanks in advance

Hope I can get this cleared up !!!128578;
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 33,348 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    No. There is no facility to repay "on the drip."

As you have identified, assuming you borrow the full 20%, you can repay half the loan, or all the loan. There is no other option.

Link to HTB Equity Loan Buyer's Guide;-

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/Help-to-Buy-Buyers-Guide-Feb-2018-FINAL.pdf
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Jleigh53
    • By Jleigh53 1st Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jleigh53
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

So that!!!8217;s even after the five years?? I can!!!8217;t pay back extra if I wanted?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 33,348 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    At any time, you can repay half the loan (10% of the property value) or all the loan (20% of the property value.)

This is the same both during the first five years and after that.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 33,348 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    Here's a link to the website of Target, the current post-sales HTB Agent;-

https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/

If you hit "I want to..." it will tell you your options in each case.
    • Jleigh53
    • By Jleigh53 1st Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jleigh53
    • 1st Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    Sorry if Iím annoying I just want to make sure I understand it. So if for example I chose to pay back 10% in the first 5 years. After that time when the interest starts recurring, I can only pay back the rest of the loan in one lump sum. Iím not able to do it in separate instalments?

Thanks for the help so far, Iíll check out the link
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 33,348 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    Yes.

Your interpretation is entirely accurate.

You can repay in one or two chunks only, at any time.
    • Jleigh53
    • By Jleigh53 1st Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jleigh53
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    Okay, so when I spoke to an advisor, they said they send a bill each year outlining monthly payments. Are those payments just for the interest?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 33,348 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    Yes.

'Fees', not interest.

You can claim SMI/Local Housing Allowance for interest/rent. You can claim nothing for fees.

In year six, you will pay 1.75% of the loan which remains in place and that will increase each year.

If inflation runs at 5%, you'll be paying 1.87% in year seven, 1.98% in year eight and so on.

It's in the Guide.
    • GrumpySO&SO
    • By GrumpySO&SO 1st Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GrumpySO&SO
    It's a rather dumb rule i assume made to trap people into the help to buy loan this having to pay out more than necessary.

I think what many people do however is remortgage they're house. We got the equity loan thing for our first house and that is what our mortgage advisor recommended.

We planned to save save save and repay half and then remortgage the rest.

So make sure you can afford to pay back the equity loan in 5 years before walking into one. Also be aware that you will pay bank not £32k but 20% of whatever the current house value is. So it could be £40k or even more.

We got about £46k off them but paying back £55k from the sale of our house which is annoying but there you go. Now we have moved house, minus the help to buy! I'f we could have done it without the htb first time around (with a decent house) i would have but we couldn't and now we've got to where we want so glad we did.

My advice is to plan how you will repay that loan asap. Don't wait five years and then get but with interest. 5 years is a decent amount of time.
    • renifer7
    • By renifer7 12th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    renifer7
    Hi all,
    maybe I am not understanding this correctly but this not helping me either: https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/CUSTINFO-Approved-29Nov2016.pdf :/

With London HTB, how and when can I potentially decide to pay off the HTB loan? Does it have to be 20% and 20%? or can it be 5% and 35% for example?
    Thanks in advance.

Must...remember...cashback......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin