Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 1st Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 539Posts
    • 176Thanks
    UKSBD
    Cancelled ticket, do I need to do anything else?
    • 1st Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    Cancelled ticket, do I need to do anything else? 1st Mar 18 at 12:40 PM
    I recently attended a public event at a hotel.

On the same day 107 people all got tickets from Parking Eye

The hotel have told us all the tickets have been cancelled and to ignore any reminders from Parking Eye, saying "it takes 45 working days for the fine to come off the system"

Is it safe to just ignore anything Parking Eye send now that the hotel say the tickets are cancelled?
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 1st Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 36,621 Posts
    • 82,942 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 1st Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    They are not fines.

Don't trust parking lie. I suggest you appeal using the template from the NEWBIES as keeper and add a one liner saying the hotel has confirmed this PCN is cancelled and you look forward to their confirmation.
    Hopefully you have the hotel cancellation in writing that you can include with your appeal.
    Tell anyone else you know who got a PCN to do the same.

You should also complain to your MP.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 10th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    UKSBD
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    I've ust received a letter from ParkingEye saying the Parking Charge has now been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due :-)

Seems that it pays to go direct to the land owner when 1st receiving the PCN.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 57,361 Posts
    • 70,957 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    It certainly does - that's why 'complaining to the landowner' is Plan A in the NEWBIES thread, always to be fully exhausted before POPLA stage.

Well done!

By the way, this is shocking and PROVES the system is broken:
    I recently attended a public event at a hotel.

On the same day 107 people all got tickets from Parking Eye
    Would you mind showing this incident by email, to Sir Greg Knight MP, to lend weight to his Bill, as evidence that ANPR does not work and this industry are operating an 'outrageous scam' (Hansard).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 10th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 4,794 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    I've just received a letter from ParkingEye saying the Parking Charge has now been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due :-)
    Originally posted by UKSBD
    Not that I don't trust these people, but file that letter away and keep it for six years, just in case.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    Also, get as many people as you can to complain to their MPs, and erite about it in TripAdviser
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye,
    Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 12th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    UKSBD
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    Follow up on this here - https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/visitors-to-relief-road-exhibition-stung-by-parking-fines/

I guess the fact that 4 local councillors got tickets helped :-)
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 57,361 Posts
    • 70,957 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    Wonder if the money will be kept, if some idiots paid...
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin