Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 1st Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 38Posts
    • 229Thanks
    lemonverbena
    Can't access my credit file - yet bank can
    • 1st Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    Can't access my credit file - yet bank can 1st Mar 18 at 8:50 AM
    I got myself into messes with debts 18 years ago and again about 12 years ago, when I went through a periods of ill health. Since then I've paid pretty much everything off (except for student loans) but for a long time I was careful not to get into debt again.

Unfortunately, over the last 2 years, I keep being turned down for simple things - sim-only mobile phone deals, getting my energy meters changed from prepayment to credit meters (I've finally got it done because I switched to EDF who don't do a credit check if you've been their customer for a few months), opening savings accounts online.

I've tried to get all of the free credit report routes on several occasions - MSE Credit Cub, Clearscore, and Noddle as well as the free 30-day trial of Equifax Credit Report, and each time get nothing back - my latest email from Noddle says that "Unfortunately we're currently not able to find a credit file for you but we'll continue to check and let you know if and when we are able to."

I went to see the bank I have my current account with (HSBC) and they say that I must have a credit report because I have a large allowed overdraft (which I've had on my account for years) which over the last couple of years I've gone into and then paid off again on a number of occasions. They then did a credit check as if I was applying for a small extension to my overdraft - and I apparently came back with a good score - and their system automatically approved me for a credit card with a 5K (!) credit limit at a very good rate (which I didn't take)!

So what could be going on?
    If I ask for the 2 statuatory reports will I be likely to get anything back?

Or should I just embrace the bizarre situation and take this credit card from my bank and get a bigger credit footprint that way?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 16,812 Posts
    • 17,814 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    Accept the card as a starting point. You need to build history.

Then escalate the missing files to the three CRAs. Ask HSBC which CRA they used.
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 1st Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lemonverbena
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    I know they used Experian.
    A credit card would actually be very useful, but it just seems unbelievable that I can get such a large amount of credit and a good rate from one bank, yet dont pass even a basic check with anyone else.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 16,812 Posts
    • 17,814 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1st Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    Well, it's only a 5k limit, and they can see how you managed your account over the last few years, as you bank with them, which others presumably can't.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 1st Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 1st Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1st Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    5k isn't a large limit really.
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 1st Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lemonverbena
    • 1st Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1st Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    It just seems large because I've not been able to get any new credit for such a long time - and when I've failed checks for things like mobile contracts that would only amount to around 100 per year!
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 1st Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    20aday
    • 1st Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    I also agree that I'd accept the credit card from HSBC.

Used wisely e.g. paying the outstanding balance in full each month etc will help in terms of building a credit file.

I assume you're registered on the Electoral Roll? Is there a quirk with your current address that might be resulting in your issues with the CRAs?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 1st Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lemonverbena
    • 1st Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    Yes I'm registered on the electoral roll - and I had no trouble voting last year, and haven't moved since then. Its possible I wasn't on the roll for one year at my previous address, due to a mistake made by my friend who I was living with at the time. I live on my own now in a self-contained flat in a purpose-built block, so it shouldn't be an issue.

There was an problem with my NatWest business bank account (i'm self-employed part time, but also employed part-time) where I found they hadn't fully changed my address when I moved (my business and current home address had been changed to my new address but I eventually found my "permanent home address" was still my old address, despite repeated requests to check and resolve the issue - my debit card was occasionally refused when making online purchases. That has been finally solved a few weeks ago, yet I still can't get a CR now. The problems getting credit have been going on since before my last house move, but i'll be furious with them if I find out its been a main cause of the bother!
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 1st Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 30,147 Posts
    • 17,998 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 1st Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    You need to check both the council's electoral services department and your bank are reporting your address to the CRAs in exactly the same format.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 1st Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 31,630 Posts
    • 19,952 Thanks
    DCFC79
    The response from Noddle re trying to find you is that the same response from the other 2 agencies ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 1st Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lemonverbena
    Yes - although its actually the most helpful response I've got.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 1st Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 2,181 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Sounds like your address is not being reported correctly in order to match your details. A lot of people who live in flats often have this problem.

If you already hold a Natwest account and a HSBC account, that's 2 accounts that should be on your file and you're also on the electoral roll.

You need to contact each CRA seperately and ask them to find your file, it could very well be the reason you are being turned down for credit is because the lender is not able to find your file, therefore to them you are an unknown risk.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 3rd Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lemonverbena
    Well this may be some of the mystery solved - you may well be right Candyapple. I just got a "check your electoral registration details" letter in the post. I am on there. However my address is wrong - the name of the building is spelt wrong by one letter, and they've left out the estate name. These flats were purpose-built and have been here for almost 90 years, you'd have think they would have the address spelt and formatted correctly by now!

I've just sent an email to the electoral registration officer.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 4th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    A credit card would actually be very useful, but it just seems unbelievable that I can get such a large amount of credit and a good rate from one bank, yet dont pass even a basic check with anyone else.
    Originally posted by lemonverbena
    I had this many years ago. My regular bank was happy to lend to me but third parties weren't (despite having paid off a car loan with no problems a year or so before). I later realised that these problems started after I moved into a house which had been previously occupied by a relative with the same initial as me who had had debt problems. It wasn't quite as easy to check your credit file back in those days.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 4th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Originally posted by lemonverbena
    The bank you have been with for such a long time can offer you credit products without you even asking - based on the way you manage your account. Occasionally I receive letters informing me that I have been pre-approved for a credit card etc...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,561Posts Today

9,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin