Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blix
    • By Blix 28th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Blix
    McDonalds - MetParking - Popla appeal
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    McDonalds - MetParking - Popla appeal 28th Feb 18 at 8:46 PM
    Hello. I'm appealing a MET parking invoice at McDonalds and am composing an appeal via POPLA website (already appealed to MET and quite unexpectedly failed ; )

I'm sorry if this is on the forum somewhere but I can't find it if it is.

The 'newbie' thread about parking tickets suggests ignoring the text box in a POPLA appeal and just place everything in a long PDF. However, looking at another thread about a 2018 appeal (I'm too new to include links) it seems to suggest just using the 2000 word text box and not making any appeal too long.

Which is best?
    Thanks in advance.
Page 3
    • Blix
    • By Blix 26th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Blix
    Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll keep you posted.

Is your son the registered keeper of the vehicle? If so, are you putting his name to the appeal, not yours?
    Yes, this is correct. He's the registered keeper and we've done everything in his name but not named the driver.
    • Blix
    • By Blix 9th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Blix
    I've just received the POPLA decision and, what do you know, my appeal was refused on the grounds of adequate signage and a reasonable estimate of the cost of this invoice despite no financial loss.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 10,016 Posts
    • 9,854 Thanks
    The Deep
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 61,745 Posts
    • 74,641 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I've just received the POPLA decision and, what do you know, my appeal was refused on the grounds of adequate signage and a reasonable estimate of the cost of this invoice despite no financial loss.
    Originally posted by Blix
    As expected really. So you just ignore them now, as previously advised:

So are you saying, following an expected win by MET via my popla appeal, that I should just ignore any further correspondence with them? I'm happy to do this but, since I'm doing this on behalf of my son, it's probably really him who is liable and I don't want to adversely affect him or put him in a situation where he has to fight this.
    Yes.

Same as you will (hopefully) have found when you didn't pay (obviously not) but instead searched the forum for POPLA lost as keywords.

Show us the decision, post it in 'POPLA Decisions' , link to this thread, stating that it was MET Parking.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 09-04-2018 at 7:59 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 19,490 Posts
    • 30,837 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Here's the chances of this going any further than harmless and powerless debt collector letters:

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

Almost a quarter of a million tickets issued in the past 3 years - not one single court case. Work out your son's odds for him if he gets shaky.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Blix
    • By Blix 10th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Blix
    Thanks very much for your replies and advice. I'm very grateful for your time. I'll add the decision to the Popla Decisions in due course.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    • 61,745 Posts
    • 74,641 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Hello.
    I began THIS thread initially but have now received a response from my appeal to Popla and would like some advice at to what is best to reply via the 2000 character reply box.

Met parking have basically (and predictably) said the invoice was issued lawfully so my appeal has been refused.
    I'm not sure how to proceed. This is what they said, in addition to two accompanying PDFs.

------------------------
    In his appeal to POPLA Mr xxx states that the signage in the car park is not adequately displayed or clear enough. He also states that we have not demonstrated that the individual we are pursuing is the driver. Lastly he states that we have not provided evidence of landowner authority. We note Mr xxx’s comments, however we are confident that there is a sufficient number of signs in place in the car park and that the signs are prominently displayed and clearly state the terms and conditions of parking. In Section E of our evidence pack we have included images of the signs in place and a site plan of the location. We have also included images of the signs taken at night in order to demonstrate that they remain visible in the hours of darkness. It remains the driver’s responsibility to check the signs where they park and comply with the sated terms and conditions. We would also like to refer the assessor to the end of Section E of our evidence pack, where we have included evidence of our contract with the landowner, in the form of a letter of authority from the landowner and extracts from the contract. We also note Mr xxx’s comments regarding the fact that we have not proved that he is the driver, however as he has not provided us with the driver’s details and has not identified himself as the driver, we are pursuing him as the registered keeper under Schedule 4 of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. In Section C of our evidence pack we have provided a full explanation as to why we may pursue Mr xxx under PoFA. We have also included the Notice to Keeper in Section B of our evidence pack and we are confident it meets the requirements set out in Schedule 4 of PoFA. The terms and conditions of parking are clearly stated on the 13 signs that are prominently displayed at the entrance to and around the car park. These include that the car park is for the use of McDonald’s customers whilst on the premises only and that there is a maximum stay in the car park of 90 minutes. As the photographic evidence provided in Section E of our evidence pack demonstrates, Mr xxx’s vehicle remained in the car park for longer than the maximum permitted stay. In light of the above we believe the charge notice was issued correctly and the appeal should be refused.

--------------------------------
    Originally posted by Blix
    Same as here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5824824

No big deal, ignore!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,462Users online

Martin's Twitter