Post Office Online Saver Account

Hi, I have just opened a PO online saver account with the intention of using it for Direct Debits. I have transferred an opening amount across to this account, and it went in with no problems. My question is, I can see how to set up a D/d to my nominated account, easy to do. But is it possible to set up a Direct Debit from another bank to this same Post office, (to create additional Direct debits). Any help appreciated

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Homeboy_1 wrote: »
    Hi, I have just opened a PO online saver account with the intention of using it for Direct Debits. I have transferred an opening amount across to this account, and it went in with no problems. My question is, I can see how to set up a D/d to my nominated account, easy to do. But is it possible to set up a Direct Debit from another bank to this same Post office, (to create additional Direct debits). Any help appreciated

No, You can only have one nominated account linked to the PO account. When you submit a direct debit, They take around 5 days before requesting from the bank, Quite long. Could use the sort code and account and it be in same day as long as you send before 5pm.

I've got one of these accounts, But due to close it.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The only way you'd do it with the one account is to change the nominated account twice each month. Some people have reported being able to open 2 accounts, despite the terms prohibiting it.
  • Thank you Paragon 909, and Yorkshire Boy. Your comments and advice are much appreciated
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In regards to this account, do they make a hard search on the credit file before they open it? I can use one more DD but I'm just in the transition period between mortgage offer and completion and I don't need too many searches on my credit files. Thanks.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    radoslaff wrote: »
    In regards to this account, do they make a hard search on the credit file before they open it?

No. They don't perform a hard search.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,255
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    paragon909 wrote: »
    No, You can only have one nominated account linked to the PO account. When you submit a direct debit, They take around 5 days before requesting from the bank, Quite long. Could use the sort code and account and it be in same day as long as you send before 5pm.

I've got one of these accounts, But due to close it.
    Do the terms prohibit two accounts of different issues being set up?
  • Over62
    Over62 Posts: 122
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

My OH and I have 5 Post Office Online Saver accounts between us, of different issues and set up with different linked accounts. I'm waiting for issue 30 now to set up 2 more.
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite

It's not clearly stated. The terms simply say "12) You may not open more than one Account in your sole name and one Account jointly in your name and that of someone else." But lots of people have successfully opened additional accounts under different issues.

I
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Hmmm. I've tried twice, about 12 hours apart, to open an issue 29 account. Both times, after going through all the application screens and hitting "submit" I got this message: "We are very sorry - we are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a few hours."
    I seem to remember that happening before, and in that case the "technical difficulties" actually turned out to be withdrawal of the issue.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Badger50 wrote: »
    Hmmm. I've tried twice, about 12 hours apart, to open an issue 29 account. Both times, after going through all the application screens and hitting "submit" I got this message: "We are very sorry - we are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a few hours."
    I seem to remember that happening before, and in that case the "technical difficulties" actually turned out to be withdrawal of the issue.

I applied a few days ago. At the end of the process I got a message saying they needed to do some further checks to complete the application... I'm still waiting to hear the outcome :D
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport