Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hiltonian09
    • By hiltonian09 28th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hiltonian09
    Car Insurance 25% increase for CUE entry
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    Car Insurance 25% increase for CUE entry 28th Feb 18 at 7:16 PM
    Hi

I am after some advice I recently got a quote via Admiral for 550 per year ( Car Insurance 8 years no claims ) which i was happy with we then proceeded only for it to increase by 200 because there was an incident on the CUE database.
    Spoke to the liability team who deal with CUE queries who informed me that there was a "Incident" that was reported back in 2016, however no claim was ever made and I was not at fault.
    The actual incident was in a car park where a car bumped into my stationary car, at the time it was dark and i wasn't sure of the damage so i reported it in case there were issues down the line. In the end it was only a small dint and nobody claimed / paid for repairs we just carried on.

My question is why would i get a price increase of around 25% due to a none claimed incident that wasn't my fault.

I have a feeling i was overcharged last year also, what are my options here as clearly this cannot be right. Even if my risk factor goes up because of the incident it doesn't warrant an increase in price by 200 quid.
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 28th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    Try another company.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 28th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 27,221 Posts
    • 10,967 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    You got an increase because they deem you a higher risk.

Having one incident now, but statistics say your likely to have another.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • hiltonian09
    • By hiltonian09 4th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hiltonian09
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    I agree but should the price increase by over 25% . Surely the risk hasn't increased by 25% i would expect the increase to be inline with the risk.

The fact that i was not in the car at the time should also factor into this. It has nothing to do with my driving. I am more after what can i do to question this / amend the CUE database as it must not have all the facts on their otherwise the increase would not be that high.
    • missile
    • By missile 4th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    missile
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    You may be penalised for not declaring that you had an incident at renewal?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    .... I am more after what can i do to question this / amend the CUE database as it must not have all the facts on their otherwise the increase would not be that high.
    Originally posted by hiltonian09
    Go to the CUE website and you will find the way to find out what is recorded about you, then take it from what you find if you want to challenge it
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    You were asked if you'd been involved in any collision, whether a claim was made or not. You said no. But that wasn't true - and there's a record of it.

Try other insurers, and this time be honest...

Admiral are the Ryanair of insurers, and will take every possible opportunity to add on costs and charges.

Go to the CUE website and you will find the way to find out what is recorded about you, then take it from what you find if you want to challenge it
    Originally posted by Quentin
    The OP knows what's there - because they were the one who reported it when it happened...
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    The OP knows what's there - because they were the one who reported it when it happened...
    Originally posted by AdrianC

According the OP's post #4 the OP wants to know why all the facts originally given haven't been recorded correctly:

Originally Posted by hiltonian09 I am more after what can i do to question this / amend the CUE database as it must not have all the facts on their otherwise the increase would not be that high
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    No, they're assuming there's other stuff on there, because the increase is higher than they'd expect.

Part of the high increase may be punitive for the lie on the proposal. Part of it may simply be Admiral saying "Nope, not for us". There is no simple linear correlation.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 4th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    JP1978
    You may now not match Admirals target customer. Instead of refusing you insurance, something you definitely don't want, they increase the premium to encourage you to go somewhere else.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 5th Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 13,579 Posts
    • 8,624 Thanks
    arcon5
    Count yourself lucky they did these checks now and not after you took the policy out. Probably would have been even more for failing to disclose material facts.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 5th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Ant555
    Originally posted by Quentin
    The CUE information request form says its a 10 fee and it takes up to 40 days.

https://www.mib.org.uk/media/387858/cue-and-miaftr-dsar-request-form-august-2017-v10.pdf
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    Car 54
    I agree but should the price increase by over 25% . Surely the risk hasn't increased by 25% i would expect the increase to be inline with the risk.
    Originally posted by hiltonian09
    Are you qualified to assess risk?

Admiral probably employ people who are.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 6th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    once you've got a quote and then you tell them about additional issues they add on charges can be quite punitive.

my renewal was 690 (automatic), i phoned them up and informed them of SP50 3 POINTS and they quoted me 790. I said its too expensive and aviva and directline are probably cheaper in my situation and I will need to speak to them first before going ahead with your quote. They immediately adjusted the quote down to 650 for me.

a lot of the time it's arbitrary, you have to use tactics to bring it down. With admiral it seems the first quote will always be too expensive, they'll ask "how does that sound to you?" after giving the quote. You can basically use any reason you like to knock the quote down at least 100 or so.

It's just like buying stuff on holiday, first price is BS, haggle with them to bring it down.
    Last edited by seatbeltnoob; 06-03-2018 at 8:38 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

6,257Users online

Martin's Twitter