Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 28th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,747Posts
    • 682Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    X-O /Jarvis broker awful service
    • 28th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    X-O /Jarvis broker awful service 28th Feb 18 at 6:46 PM
    Hi

I have been using various online platforms over the years eg HL, III, Iweb, Vanguard direct and switched my shares to X-O last year due to their low execution fees eg £5 per trade, but their overall plaform is awful! Everytime you want to make transfers you have to email them with all details, no divi reinvest, simple things like password resets require you to cal them and even then they provide passwords that dont work and dont allow easy retrieval via the site, close at 5pm and from 430 dont appear to answer calls. If i cant log in tomorrow i am going to complain to the ombudsman.

Can anyone recommend a low cost similar platform for individual uk shares with low transfer costs and divi reinvestments? I have an HL account for funds, but they are costly for shares. I dont envisage transacting more than 1/2x a year with this account just odd payouts.
Page 1
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 28th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    jamei305
    • 28th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    I have an HL account for funds, but they are costly for shares. I dont envisage transacting more than 1/2x a year with this account just odd payouts.
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    HL are expensive for funds, and if you will only trade 1/2x a year, cheap for shares.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 28th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    iWeb charge £5 to trade shares. There is a £25 account opening fee.

Interactive Brokers charge £6 to trade shares, although there is an inactivity fee.

Barclays Smart Investor charge £6 to trade shares, with a 0.1% annual charge.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 28-02-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 28th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 5,241 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    I have an HL account for funds, but they are costly for shares. I dont envisage transacting more than 1/2x a year with this account just odd payouts.
    HL don't charge anything at all for holding shares in a GIA, can't get cheaper than that. There is a £45 cap in an ISA. You'll pay an £11.95 transaction charge but unless you have a small holding that's neither here nor there. There are plenty of other places with low or nil custody charges for shares
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 28th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    capital0ne
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    Hi
    I have been using various online platforms over the years eg HL, III, Iweb, Vanguard direct and switched my shares to X-O last year due to their low execution fees eg £5 per trade, b
    Why did you leave iWeb?
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 28th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    I have always found x-o / Jarvis to be spot-on for service;

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 20-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 28th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    I find the Jarvis X-O fee structure attractive but I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable. Unless they have a lot of other customers who are active traders? At that price, as a buy and hold investor, I would put up with almost any quality of bad service. As long as the money is safe. I wouldn't exceed the FSCS limit with them.
    Last edited by Alexland; 28-02-2018 at 8:07 PM.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 28th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    I have always found x-o / Jarvis to be spot-on for service
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Same for me. They are good imo. Bargain at the price.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 28th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    but I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable. Unless they have a lot of other customers who are active traders?
    Originally posted by Alexland
    They are a publicly quoted company on AIM (ticker JIM) and you can look at their accounts online. They are making a tidy profit. They also benefit from interest on investor's uninvested cash.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 28th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 58,490 Posts
    • 51,855 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I find the Jarvis X-O fee structure attractive but I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable.
    Far easier to understand a business model such as Jarvis. Than say Tesco's which resorted to financial engineering to manipulate their financial results.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 28th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 58,490 Posts
    • 51,855 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    [QUOTE=cashbackproblems;73952705 If i cant log in tomorrow i am going to complain to the ombudsman.

[/QUOTE]

Write your passwords down if you struggle to remember them.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 28th Feb 18, 11:45 PM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    Everytime you want to make transfers you have to email them with all details,
    I just save a document with all said details and copy and paste it to an email. Its done in seconds.
    Write down a password prompt so remember it and don't have to call them out of office hours to reset it.
    Have been using Jarvis x-o for many years - initially through the Building Societies and other brokers who use their custody services. Found the service cheap basic and efficient and never had a problem with them. If you are doing 1-2 trades a year that will cost you £6-£12 a year. You seem to expect a lot for your money
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 28th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable.
    I trade it more than I thought I would. Either investing new money, rebalancing, or using up CGT allowance and shifting money into ISA.
    X-O is only a small part of Jarvis business so I guess they make economies through synergy with that?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 1st Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    LHW99
    When they do a website update I have found it advisable to clear my browser cache before trying to log in again. Otherwise it does seem to cause logging in problems.
    • inflationbuster
    • By inflationbuster 10th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    inflationbuster
    Hi
    low execution fees eg £5 per trade
    Their website says £5.95 and iWeb is £5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin