Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 28th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 116Thanks
    aliby21
    good quality kitchen - what is most important
    • 28th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    good quality kitchen - what is most important 28th Feb 18 at 4:33 PM
    Can't get anywhere because of the snow so have been reading various threads on new kitchens, what is the best quality kitchen etc, and got to wondering - what is the most important factor in ensuring you end up with a good, quality, kitchen? Is it:

Design / layout
    Carcass construction
    Doors
    Installation
    Or something else? Or all of them?
    (not thinking as far ahead as worktops, appliances, tiling etc)

Most emphasis seems to be on pretty coloured doors and 'storage solutions'. Even with the independent retailers I've visited. Maybe just approaching them wrong. There are lots of recommendations for DIY kitchens online for good quality, but am I going to end up with something that looks decent and functions well without professional planning? How do the trade merchants (Howdens, Benchmarx etc) stand on the planning and on the unit construction? Interested in other's thoughts
Page 2
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 6th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    The more I look into it the more I find to think about!!! I am a ditherer at the best of times, so i can foresee this taking me a while. CKdesigner that is really useful. I suppose what I am not clear on is how much does a designer or planner depend on the brief you give them, and how much will they come up with suggestions from their expertise. I have a fairly good idea what I think I'd like, but i am conscious that this is very likely coming from the way the kitchen has been laid out. Would a designer come in with a fresh pair of eyes and say 'you'd be better with the cooker there'. for example.

I am debating the sink, halfbowl, drainer issue too! I was told that it is standard to have drainer on the left, assuming people are right handed, as they will hold crockery etc in left hand to wash with dishcloth in right, then put from left hand onto drainer on left IYSWIM . I am not sure this works for me.... Though I think I'd prefer to have sink nearest cooker, rather than drainer whichever side that ends up being.
    • CKdesigner
    • By CKdesigner 7th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    CKdesigner
    Hi Aliby21

Yes, an experienced kitchen designer should start with your brief and the conversation you have based around this and will also come up with other suggestions of how they see the space working out also. This really is part and parcel of what an experienced designer will do, as this is their day job!

CK
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 7th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 8,666 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Yes, I've never seen the point of these especially if you have a dishwasher and so don't have washing up bowl.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    A good use for this one and a half or two sink arrangement is to say "s0d the supplied plumbing" and bin half of it. Plumb the two wastes separately. Large sink goes down the drain, as normal. Small half sink heads for a water storage butt (or grey water system, if you go ott ...). All the water you run to get hot out of the system, the emptying of kettles, draining veg water, all of it gets reused....
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 7th Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    Hi Aliby21

Yes, an experienced kitchen designer should start with your brief and the conversation you have based around this and will also come up with other suggestions of how they see the space working out also. This really is part and parcel of what an experienced designer will do, as this is their day job!

CK
    Originally posted by CKdesigner
    Thank you! that is so helpful. I am seeing it makes a lot more sense to start with getting a proper design done, then think about the actual fabric of the units, doors etc. Really has helped a lot thinking how to approach it
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 7th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    A good use for this one and a half or two sink arrangement is to say "s0d the supplied plumbing" and bin half of it. Plumb the two wastes separately. Large sink goes down the drain, as normal. Small half sink heads for a water storage butt (or grey water system, if you go ott ...). All the water you run to get hot out of the system, the emptying of kettles, draining veg water, all of it gets reused....
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I LOVE this idea! and it is going to be in just the right place for where I am putting my veg patch
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin