Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 646Posts
    • 4,262Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries March 2018
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries March 2018 28th Feb 18 at 9:12 AM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to mcculloch29 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for February 2018 and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    September 2017
    October 2017
    November 2017
    December 2017
    January 2018
    February 2018
Page 6
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 12th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Happy belated Birthday dolly84
    • VALM
    • By VALM 12th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 4,155 Posts
    • 37,753 Thanks
    VALM
    Updated PP List
    [QUOTE=VALM;73989366]No 7 face wipes
    Caudalie Serum
    Bumble & Bumble B Straight Creme
    Liz Earle Skin Repair moisturiser
    Elemis PCMC
    Liz Earle Rose and Cedrat Cleanse and Polish
    ABC body lotion
    No 7 Pressed powder
    Avon Winter Dreamland shower gel
    Time Bomb hand cream

ABC body lotion gone. Hope my replacements will arrive soon.

The PCMC will be next to go.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 12th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 7,722 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    UU number 6 and 7 for March:

Jo Malone Red Roses. WBA. One of my favourite perfumes.

Odilyque Rose Toner. WBA. Lovely skin toner but need to run the stash down before I buy more.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2018 - 41/162 UU, 11 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2018 No.180 405/2000
    1% challenge No.15 - 10% 2 savers No.12 - 70 5p Savers No.3 - 4.75
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.12 - 53.30/150 1p a day Challenge 242.06/667.95
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2018 #5 314.28/100
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 12th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    a few ins today from primark

satin finish nail polish in sea blue - i accidentally binned all my nailpolishes in a massive declutter end of last year so i only own 1 :P if it lasts ok i might buy a few more.

foundation - almost finished my current 1 and i have no backups. the swatch seemed ok so for 2.50 would give a try.

2 reduced facemasks at 50p each - had a crap few weeks/months and have no face masks in stash

ps pro blending brush reduced to 1

primark version of Vaseline reduced to 30p - again only a few lip products in my collection
    91.50365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty
    20,000 step a day challenge
    • VALM
    • By VALM 13th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 4,155 Posts
    • 37,753 Thanks
    VALM
    Updated Finish 5 by Spring
    I wondered where this post went. Mistakenly put it in Feb thread.

Nyx concealer. I feel that I will hit pan any day now.

No 7 Lip Lacquer in Sugar Mauve. I don't feel like I am getting much product on each application which is a bit strange as this was brand new.

I have a bit of a dip in the Mac eyeshadow. Nothing more to report.

I have more pan in the No 7 powder. Nothing more to report.

Nail polish still seems ok.

Maybe the nail polish and lip lacquer will be done by the end of this challenge.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 13th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4,155 Posts
    • 37,753 Thanks
    VALM
    2 INS yesterday : 2 x 100ml ABC body lotion.

I threw away the first ever bottle of OPI that I bought this morning: Grand Canyon Sunset. Was gloopy. May repurchase at some time.

Am wearing OPI Made it to the Seventh Hill instead.

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • London baby
    • By London baby 13th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 1,845 Thanks
    London baby
    Went on holiday so had to buy a few hnad-luggage only items:

Boots Soltan Invisible head & hair spray SPF 30
    Sure motionsense Black + white invisible deodorant spray
    Sanex shower gel
    Boots Smile toothpaste

UUs on hols:
    2 x sample size Sensodyne pro-enamel toothpaste: WNBA unless on special offer. Does have a nice texture but didn't notice any difference.

Nair sensitive hair removal cream: WNBA, feel I'm becoming sensitive to the chemicals. Will explore laser hair removal or epilation.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU tonight:

Sensodyne Repair & Protect Toothpaste 75ml WDBA and have. A really nice toothpaste that helps my sensitive teeth and it doesn't contain SLS which makes my mouth burn. I'm going to use the Regenerate sample first before I open my back up tube of this.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,632 Thanks
    dolly84
    I wondered where this post went. Mistakenly put it in Feb thread.

Nyx concealer. I feel that I will hit pan any day now.

No 7 Lip Lacquer in Sugar Mauve. I don't feel like I am getting much product on each application which is a bit strange as this was brand new.

I have a bit of a dip in the Mac eyeshadow. Nothing more to report.

I have more pan in the No 7 powder. Nothing more to report.

Nail polish still seems ok.

Maybe the nail polish and lip lacquer will be done by the end of this challenge.
    Originally posted by VALM
    Only a week left of this challenge now, first day of spring seems to be 21 March.
    Total Debt 01/14 13043.00, now 0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,632 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Champneys Summer Dream Bubble Heaven 300ml - part of a 3 part set bought Christmas 2016 in the sales. Really nice but WNBA.
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 14th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 7,609 Thanks
    lynseydee
    One UU tonight:

Sensodyne Repair & Protect Toothpaste 75ml WDBA and have. A really nice toothpaste that helps my sensitive teeth and it doesn't contain SLS which makes my mouth burn. I'm going to use the Regenerate sample first before I open my back up tube of this.
    Originally posted by sstevo19
    I love this toothpaste too. It's my favourite of all the Sensodyne ones.
    Did owe 9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin 5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 3,427.89. Owe HSBC 5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 3,703.07. Owe Post Office 1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • VALM
    • By VALM 14th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 4,155 Posts
    • 37,753 Thanks
    VALM
    Another UU and 2 IN/:-

UU : Elemis PCMC 15ml. You all know I love this and have more but will need to take stock of this.

IN :-

Bare Minerals Intense Power Serum
    Bath and Body Works Be Amazing hand cream.

Both for my hols.

Need to go to Boots at weekend for suncream.

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • kadison
    • By kadison 14th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 55,682 Thanks
    kadison
    One UU tonight:

Originally posted by sstevo19
    I love this toothpaste too. It's my favourite of all the Sensodyne ones.
    Originally posted by lynseydee
    I have sensitive teeth and find that Sensodyne actually makes no difference, I use Oral B Pro-Expert and find that's really good, it takes a LOT of the edge off!

I've also found sensitive mouthwashes to be no good, I use Dentyl now, the only one I've found that doesn't make me wince!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2018
    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it - Groucho Marx
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 14th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I have sensitive teeth and find that Sensodyne actually makes no difference, I use Oral B Pro-Expert and find that's really good, it takes a LOT of the edge off!

I've also found sensitive mouthwashes to be no good, I use Dentyl now, the only one I've found that doesn't make me wince!
    Originally posted by kadison
    I can't use Oral B toothpastes, they make the inside of my mouth shed And I prefer Sensodyne as it has no SLS in it
    • London baby
    • By London baby 14th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 1,845 Thanks
    London baby
    My new colleague is adding to my stash. She orders really fancy products to be delivered at work and gives me the free samples. I can't let them go to waste :-):

Skinceutical Retexturising Activator
    • Gemzie121
    • By Gemzie121 15th Mar 18, 5:12 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    Gemzie121
    Hi all! Not sure if anyone will remember me (I recognise some names) but I used to follow the challenge. I hope you are all well! Have been away for a while as lost my motivation with new job (been there a year already, time flies!), a crazy lab puppy and have had surgery. Still have a crazy amount of toiletries so need to get myself back on track and using up now I'm well enough to shower etc again!

Little list of things in progress to use up:

1. Lush amiphilitron shampoo 250g
    2. Lush veganese conditioner 250g
    3. Lush bubbly shower gel 250g
    4. Lush beautiful shower gel 250g
    5. Lush santas belly shower jelly 100g
    6. Lush supertramp shower gel 100g
    7. Morrisons total care sensitive Toothpaste
    8. Sleep in rollers sleep with me argan oil Hair mask
    9. Dentimint cool mint Mouthwash
    10. Lush sympathy for the skin body lotion
    11. Sanctuary intensive heel balm
    12. Mum dry effect roll on deodorant
    13. Sanex 7 in 1 protection spray deodorant
    14. Primark toffee Apple eau de toilette
    15. Super tarts wonderful life body scrub
    16. Patisserie de Bain sugared violet hand cream
    17. B&BW watermelon lemonade pocketbac (work keys)
    18. Avon senses sparkling celebrate me shower gel 250ml
    19. Soap & glory hand cream (work)
    20. Super tarts candy bag body lotion
    21. OPI avojuice hand & body lotion jasmine 30ml
    22. Superdrug deep action blackhead clearing scrub
    23. Avon advance techniques 2 in 1 anti dandruff shampoo/conditioner
    24. Lush papa Noel face wash jelly
    25. Lush curly wurly coconut shampoo
    26. Lush d'fluff strawberry shaving soap
    27. B&BW twisted peppermint deep cleansing hand soap
    28. Lush sugar plum fairy lip scrub
    29. Palmolive soap

Ok it's a big list haha!

I'm not sure on the exact names of some so will update the list tomorrow
    The good news is I've not added to my stash the past year other than to replace essentials such as mouthwash. I've stopped bath bombs as I can no longer use my bath much. But still have an awful lot to work through so thought I'd join in again and challenge myself to actively use up more again!
    Last edited by Gemzie121; 15-03-2018 at 5:30 AM.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2015/2016/2017/2018

UUs for 2016: 513 In's: 447 UUs for 2017: 207 Ins: 161
    UUs for 2018: In's:
    Self Confessed Lush Addict!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 15th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,632 Thanks
    dolly84
    Welcome back Gemzie.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 31,819 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Great to see you again Gemzie, hope the job is going well, can't believe it is a year either. I'm still plodding along too, but trying to be systematic in using up products, and trying to buy as little as possible, not managing a no buy, but doing much better.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 15th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 11,185 Thanks
    asajj
    Welcome back Gemzie!

1 UU - Clinique Fresh Pressed Renewing Powder Cleanser with Vitamin C

I was suspicious of this but I'm amazed at the results. There are 28 individual sachets to use each morning so you get one month's supply in one box. It is however expensive and I don't really like the extra packaging.
    My skin is brighter and less pigmented, although I must say it wasn't really much at first place.I have a half used Vitamin C cleanser from Murad. I am going to UU it first.
    I've re-ordered Clinique one last night as Caroline Hirons had a 10% off code. Once arrived, I will declare the INs.
    2015 in 2015 / 2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 15th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    Simple eye make up remover - WNBA

INs
    Superdrug Vitamin E Dual Phase Cleansing Oil
    Superdrug Vitamin E Micellar Solution
    Loreal Self Tanning Dry Mist - OH saw it for 2 and got for me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin