Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WhiteyCantley
    • By WhiteyCantley 28th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    WhiteyCantley
    Giving in on a bank account
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    Giving in on a bank account 28th Feb 18 at 8:22 AM
    Why won't one single bank/building society give me an account......
    After a horrible divorce in 2011 I voluntarily filed for bankruptcy and was fully discharged in 2012. I am no further on in my efforts to get a current account. I have a cashplus account which is very good at 4.95 a month and does most things I need, however the fact it is a prepaid account and has a mastercard which is a credit card causes limitations. I'm also charged for any payments in over 1000 a month. This can mount up if I have a good run ( I'm a self employed tradesman ).

My credit score is 389 and I'm keen to improve it. I'm not comfortable with having large amounts of cash sat in my safe not improving my credit score. I have completely turned my bankruptcy into a positive event regarding everything else and financially I am stronger than ever. I have zero debt and accumulated a nice nest egg. Why am I refused high street accounts ?? I have investigated all I can and cannot find a single reason other than the bankruptcy for being refused. It's more a curiosity question than anything else because I've adapted very well to being without a high street account.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 28th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 7,141 Posts
    • 7,578 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    You should be able to get a basic bank account, as they're largely aimed at people in your situation, so ask for one specifically by name if you haven't already, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts, where Barclays, Co-Op and Virgin are listed as being the easiest ones to open.

Despite what the MSE article about small business banking says, you should also keep your business banking away from your personal banking so you should look for two separate accounts, a personal one (Ts & Cs of which will typically prohibit business use) and a business one.
    • john1002
    • By john1002 28th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    john1002
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    Have you done a SAR to CIFAS to check there are no fraud markers, have you checked all three credit agencies to see what!!!8217;s reported both bankruptcy, any CCJs and defaults. Once you know what!!!8217;s reported then you can start building, how many searches in last 6 months as you say you have tried lots of banks but by having little or no credit due to bankruptcy and potential lots of searches then this will be impacting applications.

You should be able to get a basic bank account do a search on here and let us know which you!!!8217;ve tried and to ensure there the basic ones, but normally if you fail a normal account they should offer s basic.

Also are you on electoral role.

As you can see lots more info needed.

Did you take up cashplus credit builder option?

John
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 28th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    I'd also recommend checking your credit files and CIFAS.

Barclays, Nationwide and Virgin are all good providers of basic accounts.

The Prepaid Pockit card might also be an option as it doesn't charge for UK card transactions.

You could also check the money comparison sites as they often have deals with these type of providers.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 28th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 3,580 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    If you live within striking distance of a Virgin Money Store try for a Virgin Money Essential Current Account. Make an appointment at a Virgin Money Store and take with you 2 pieces of ID and 3 years address history.
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

The Coventry Building Society Money Manager Savings Account has most of the features of a current account including Direct Debits but no debit card. Instead you get a VISA cash card to withdraw cash from ATMs.
    https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/savings/everyday_money/moneymanager.html

I wonder how many recent full credit searches you have on your credit history because these too can lead to rejection of an application. Get your credit history from all three CRAs and have a look.
    • WhiteyCantley
    • By WhiteyCantley 1st Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhiteyCantley
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback, it's been over the course of the last two years I have applied via what most of the banks say are soft searches and can only see 5 searches during this period according to clearscore.com. The only marker on my credit file is the bankruptcy. I've tried the recommended ones like Barclays, Co-op, Nationwide and Virgin but get a fail. I've walked round my home town which is Doncaster and enquired directly with just about all of the banks/building society's to open an account but get nowhere.
    Before anyone asks, yes I am telling the full story, nothing hidden. I went bust due to divorce, recieved my discharge in full one year later. Never been off the electoral register, done everything by the book.
    I was asked by HMRC to show proof of refusal last year as they're were unhappy my affairs were mainly cash basis. Like I said to them, I have to work with what I've got or pack up, they agreed that wasn't in anyone's interest and suggested I write to my MP which I did and got no where. I'm just baffled it's almost like I've got a mark against me that is hidden for some reason.
    Last edited by WhiteyCantley; 01-03-2018 at 4:35 PM. Reason: error
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 1st Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    • 25,371 Posts
    • 14,967 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/bank-accounts/products/current-account/cash-account/

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/bank-accounts/

I wonder could you start on the most basic, run it satisfactorily and then transfer to standard?
    • WhiteyCantley
    • By WhiteyCantley 1st Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhiteyCantley
    • 1st Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    Thanks xylophone I'll try them and see what happens.

John1002 I've downloaded a sar and will send it off asap, thanks for your direction. I'm in my second year of creditbuilder with cashplus. I've never been off the electoral register.
    Last edited by WhiteyCantley; 01-03-2018 at 5:23 PM. Reason: error
    • WhiteyCantley
    • By WhiteyCantley 10th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhiteyCantley
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    Recieved my CIFAS report back , clean as a whistle.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 10th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    John-K
    The bankruptcy alone could well be the reason. Banks do not like getting into business with people who in the past have not paid off their debts.

We!!!8217;re there any banks to whom you owed money, so who lost out in your bankruptcy?
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    takman
    Why won't one single bank/building society give me an account......
    After a horrible divorce in 2011 I voluntarily filed for bankruptcy and was fully discharged in 2012. I am no further on in my efforts to get a current account. I have a cashplus account which is very good at 4.95 a month and does most things I need, however the fact it is a prepaid account and has a mastercard which is a credit card causes limitations. I'm also charged for any payments in over 1000 a month. This can mount up if I have a good run ( I'm a self employed tradesman ).
    Originally posted by WhiteyCantley
    Just because it's a Mastercard DOES NOT mean it's a credit card. Any "issues" you have will probably be caused by the fact it's a prepaid account and nothing to do with it being a Mastercard. A visa prepaid card wouldn't be any different.

My credit score is 389 and I'm keen to improve it. I'm not comfortable with having large amounts of cash sat in my safe not improving my credit score. I have completely turned my bankruptcy into a positive event regarding everything else and financially I am stronger than ever. I have zero debt and accumulated a nice nest egg. Why am I refused high street accounts ?? I have investigated all I can and cannot find a single reason other than the bankruptcy for being refused. It's more a curiosity question than anything else because I've adapted very well to being without a high street account.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments
    Originally posted by WhiteyCantley
    If you do some reading on here you will see your credit score is basically meaningless. There are three main Credit Reference agencies in the UK who will all provide their own version of a credit score using a different scale and none of them are seen or used by any lender.

Sign up to Noddle, Clearscore and The MSE Credit Club on here to see all your information from the three main credot reference agsencies for free.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 11th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    tastyhog
    get one from monzo / revolut / starling bank etc etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin