Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,028Posts
    • 20,730Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 244
Page 8
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 4th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 7,455 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    I'm going to follow your logic of getting the ebay listings done first, I've put off doing the exercise dvd all day, will plan to do it first thing tomorrow!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 4th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 14,609 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Worth a read

https://blog.noisli.com/what-it-means-to-eat-the-frog/

Can't promise I practice it though
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 4th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Purplefairy26 - Thanks for the link. I have read it & have resolved to become the most awesome early morning frog-eater, starting tomorrow!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 4th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    1LuckyLady- Well it did work with getting the ebaying out of the way early & I felt quite virtuous all day. In fact, I rewarded my virtue by eating two buns, while simultaneously wondering if it's time to dig out my summer clothes to see what fits! Although looking at the flooding around here today, I might do better just borrowing a snorkel & some flippers!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 5th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi diary readers,
    Finally, FINALLY a day with no lergy & no rain, hail or snow! And that was just what I was hoping, as I'd planned a greenhouse day. I so enjoyed the sunshine, I kept finding myself smiling! Seriously though, I need to get a massive move-on in the garden. We grow a lot of food & the cold weather has meant that I'm a lot further behind than usual. Last year, we grew potatoes, sweetcorn, cabbages, lettuces, radishes, rocket, beetroot, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chillies, beans, courgettes, squash, spring onions, watercress & strawberries. I also have a herb bed & rhubarb patch, & we inherited 3 fruit trees - pear, apple & greengage, when we moved in. Oh, & I have a grape vine in a huge pot in my greenhouse. I'm aiming to grow pretty much the same range of veg this year, minus beetroot & cabbages, but with the addition of aubergines too. So there's a lot of work between March & June, & from then all efforts go into harvesting all our homegrown produce. When I go down the garden with a basket each morning to see what needs picking.....it makes all the effort worthwhile, not to mention how useful it is for the food budget.
    So today has been a good catch-up on the home-grown food front. I potted up the rest of the tomato seedlings, divided baby lettuces into modules, checked basil seedlings & got my seed box out to see what else needs sowing. Also had a peek down the rhubarb forcing crock to see if there's anything worth picking......ooooh, the colour of spring rhubarb....glorious bright pink stems & lime green leaves. Must harvest that at the weekend.....& resist the urge to make rhubarb vodka!
    But in the spirit of loan-busting, I am determined to put the effort in & get as much food from our veggie garden as I possibly can this year. It's good exercise & fresh air as well as healthy cheap food.
    Spring seems to have sprung!
    F x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 6,150 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like an excellent plan. What a lovely sounding garden. I hope the weather is kind to you going forward.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hey Foxgloves I finally made my way through your diary All sounds very lovely in your world at the moment. You've inspired me to tackle my lounge today. It's looking rather flat and in need of a spruce up!

Worth a read

https://blog.noisli.com/what-it-means-to-eat-the-frog/

Can't promise I practice it though
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    great piece Purps I'm going to look at my list and tackle my frog
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi DNMS - Welcome! Yes, it's funny how you just suddenly find yourself looking at your home & thinking 'I need to do something'. We are now planning a mini-kitchen makeover. mr f reckons there is sufficient leftover paint in a neutral colour to repaint it so I think the only spend will be for a new blind & a rug. I'm thinking that well-known Swedish emporium for the rug & I'm hoping to pick the blind up tomorrow in John Lewis - we've seen one we like, it's available in a size to fit our very large kitchen window, & I have a 5 cashback voucher from my loyalty card. We've had our current blind for 15 years & it's truly disgusting now - I reckon when we take it down, it will walk to the wheelie bin on its own! It's been carefully taken down, removed from its pole, put in the washing machine & re-rolled in the past & that did improve it, but it really does need replacing now. Apart from those 2 items, & maybe just a pack of bright new hand towels/oven glove, which I will get from Wilko's, all other aspects of the make-over will involve shopping from home & swapping stuff around for a new look.
    Thanks to BaileysBabe earlier for reminding me of the existence of sugar soap.....that bright yellow stuff you can probably see from space. It does a great job on kitchen units, so will get some & give everything a major scrub.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Friday readers,
    Well, I decided it was probably time for another 'debtisode'. Since the LBM struck few years ago, I have often found myself thinking of how irresponsible I used to be with my money, & feeling a bit surprised now, why nothing sparked me to have that LBM realisation a hell of a lot earlier. There was one occasion I remember all too well at the height of my spendy decades. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll share the sorry tale.........if you have zero interest in sorry tales from ex-silly spenders, then do feel free to exit stage left.
    Back in the Spendy Years, I used to love popping down to London on the train to meet my sister for a Saturday shopping trip. We'd hit Oxford Street, starting with coffee & cakes in Selfridges & pretty much keep going until time for me to get the train home. But on this particular occasion? Hmmmm.
    As I didn't do any financial planning, I hadn't been to the cashpoint the day before, so realised as soon as I got up that I hadn't got enough cash to pay the taxi I'd booked to take me to the station. I jumped in my car & drove to the bank, popped my card in the cashpoint & requested 100 (got to take some cash spends with me too, of course). Cashpoint said 'Insufficient funds'. I re-entered 50. Cashpoint said 'You're having a laugh'. Entered 20. Nope!! Rather desperately, entered 10 (which would cover my taxi fare). "INSUFFICIENT FUNDS" repeated the cashpoint as it swallowed my card. It's so early in the morning, the bank is closed & I'm unable to go in & demand it back. Do I even remotely think this is what I deserve for being such a silly spender? I do not. Instead, I think "You bas*****s" & blame the bank!!
    Drive back home, taxi due soon. Had genius idea (admittedly not as 'genius' as having budgeted in the first place).....I could pay the taxi driver by making up the couple of quid in my purse with coins from my 20p coin saver tube thingy. Dashed in, turned it out & yes, I did pay the taxi driver his 6 fare mostly in 20p pieces. I said I hadn't had a chance to get to the cashpoint. Luckily for me, he seemed happy to start the day with a load of change. All fine at the station, as I'd already bought my return ticket in advance. Settled down in my seat to read my book - I always used to take books on train journeys as there was a time in my life when I just seemed to be a weirdo magnet. Anyway, no weirdos this time, just a ticket inspector who looked at my ticket for a suspiciously long time before telling me it was invalid on that particular train & that I'd need to buy a different one. I said I doubted that to be the case, as I'd gone to the bookings office myself in person & booked this ticket a long time in advance & has purchased the ticket recommended by the member of staff. Ticket inspector adamant it's an invalid ticket & that I must buy a new one & of course by then, I had absolutely no money on me, the cashpoint had withdrawn my card & I had no credit card at that time. I didn't have my cheque book with me, & even if I had, back then, you needed your bank card to verify a cheque. I had no option but to tell him in front of all the earwiggers nearby that I had no money on me & was completely unable to pay. He said I was travelling illegally & that as soon as I got to St. Pancras, I must go to the office & replace the invalid ticket. I did report to the office (once I'd managed to find it) & was just about to get to the bit about having no money but that I would shortly be meeting my sister & she would be able to lend me some if it was actually true that I did need to buy another ticket, when he said 'Oh those bloody staff in **************', we've had loads of people like you on Saturday mornings because someone up there hasn't got a clue & keeps selling people the wrong tickets'. He gave me a correct one for my journey home &I didn't have to pay anything, so I finally got to meet my sister................my younger sister, who unlike me was only working part-time in a not brilliantly paid job at the time........& I had to ask her to lend me some money because the bank had stopped my cards due to yet another slide into unauthorised overdraft. So we went to the nearest cashpoint & she lent me 50.
    Although this was a very small amount for me on a day trip to London, I spent it all.
    When I got back in the evening, I didn't have enough cash left for a taxi home, so I got the bus. I spent most of the journey wondering when the bank would give me my card back & working out how overdrawn I would be once my salary had gone into the bank on pay-day.
    I remember feeling really cross with the bank because I couldn't buy a take-away when I got in, & that would have been nice after a long day.
    The final insult was seeing three of my numbers come up on that night's lottery & thinking " Oh, that's a good sign, at least I've won 10..............before realising I'd forgotten to buy a ticket!!
    I remember this saga as though it was yesterday. It was horrible when my card was retained, embarrassing paying the taxi driver in small change, pretty awful on the train having to admit I had zero money on me & demeaning asking my sister to lend me money as soon as I arrived. But because my head was nowhere near in the right space for an LBM, I saw my role in all of this as more of a victim of circumstance, rather than the perpetrator because of persistent failure to budget & constantly overpending my income.
    So, while there were occasions when the light-bulb started to flicker, this wasn't one of them.
    Oh my days, I could not go back to those days! Totally love my budget now. Love the control. It's empowering.
    If anyone out there is wondering if they can change. Yes, do it! You can!
    F x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 6,150 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Wow, what a story Foxgloves, I hope you've repaid your sister.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Wishingthemortgageaway - I did, of course. It was a long time ago. Just one of many occasions the LBM could have struck......& didn't!
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 6th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Reading that seems so familiar, I have a favourite shop I like to go and shop in and one day in town I went for a browse and saw these lovely scented candle melts they are all natural with no nasties in them are shaped like little flowers and come in a cute jar,I had to have them so went to the till where my card was rejected,this was my debit card and I laughed it off and blamed the card for being faulty as I'd had trouble with it in some machines,so out czmenthe trusty credit card and on I went to the bank to check my balance which turned out to be zero,I felt sick because I didn't know where the money had gone,I too blamed the bank,I went in and got a print out of my account and when I checked I had indeed spent all the spare cash in my account,my mantra of "oh it's only a few pounds " had bitten me in the bum because those few pounds add up but because I didn't budget or keep track of my money I had no idea of how many pounds I was spending,sadly this still didn't stop me from spending as I think I went on for another 6 months before I admitted I was in trouble, the scented candle things are still in their jar and have never been used,every time I look at them I am reminded of my irresponsibility,I really need to burn them to justify buying them in the first place
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 636.00 Total Now Owed = 16,994
    Emergency Fund = 400.00 Xmas savings = 200.00
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 6,150 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    One broke lady, why don't you burn them at set points is your debt free journey?
    Depending on how many there are, you could do it at certain amounts paid off or certain % paid off.
    And, when you are debt free, you could maybe go out and buy a new candle to celebrate.

Just an idea.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 6th Apr 18, 10:52 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 12,940 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Just popping in as one who lurks and is thoroughly enjoying the "debtisodes."

Keep up the good work.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...679.74 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,092
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    OneBrokeLady - Oh my days, those wax melts sound lovely......just the sort of thing I like. I do like WishingtheMortgageaway's idea though, of burning them to mark progress in your debt-free journey. You really will have wasted your money if you don't get to enjoy them. Why not light some next time you have some 'you time' to celebrate the fact that you are being strong & are determined to move forward?
    KantankrusMare - Aww, glad you are enjoying the 'debtisodes'. My light-bulb did have a few very rubbish flickers along the way, but those can be a story for another day.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello diary readers,
    Well, I am being hot on all budget pots this month. Have been meal planning since we first decided to get rid of our debt, but just recently, I've been putting a bit more time & constructive thought into it & it's paying off in budget terms. I suppose it's quite easy to get into the rut of writing 7 meals down on a piece of paper & thinking it's a meal plan? I love cooking & always cook from scratch, so that's no problem. I think they key (as with so many things) is the 'Shop from home first' element. Last week, our grocery shopping came in at 11 under budget & this week, we managed 15 under budget, but I did do a LOT of shopping from home to achieve this:
    Sat - Tandoori chicken pieces, bombay potatoes & salad
    (Only had to buy chicken, bombay potatoes batch-cooked in slow cooker last week. Salad already in fridge pkus a bit of lambs'lettuce from greenhouse).
    Sun - Roast dinner (leftover pork slices in gravy frozen last time we had a pork shoulder....already had potatoes, carrots & apple sauce in stores, just bought a cauliflower).
    Mon- Sweet & sour beef with noodles. (Had a spare pepper, carrots, onions & leftover frying steak, just bought pinapple, a stirfry sauce pouch & noodles).
    Tues - Jacket potato night.....already got potatoes - the rule on JP night is that you can have what you like on it, as long as we've got it in, so no spend.
    Weds- Morrocan beef pie with stir-fried garlic chilli greens (Pie from freezer....only 2 of us so when mr f made it 2 or 3 weeks ago, he made the full 'Serves 4' recipe, but in 2 dishes so as to freeze a spare (so only spend was 1 savoy cabbage).
    Thurs- Chunky turkey soup with rolls (free meal.....batch cooked the soup from Christmas turkey leftovers & froze some of the cobs I baked the other day).
    Fri - Tuna steak, new potatoes & sweetcorn &/or salad (Tuna from freezer as was one of this March's fish box items, leftover new potatoes from last weekend, plenty of salad already from other meals (just bought 1 tin of sweetcorn).
    I also found other possibilities knocking around & came up with other ideas, so rather than find I've forgotten them all by next meal planning day, I've jotted them down at the bottom of the meal planning page in my bullet diary. I've been meal planning since we first decided to tackle the naughty 35k some years ago, but it has defo been worth revisiting it these last couple of weeks to look at it with fresh eyes, if you see what I mean.
    Ok....must pop down to the greenhouse now & put my baby chilli plants to bed.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Apr 18, 1:29 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Oh my giddy aunt......how far have I come over the last ten years? Just done a survey which required me to say if I agreed with various statements about my attitude to money:
    "I always know how much is in my bank account".
    and of course my answer....given while simultaneously polishing my halo, was "Strongly agree".
    A bit different from my broke trip to London back in the day - the story I shared a couple of days ago.
    Anyway, my back is stiff from this morning's gardening session, so I shall leave you to get on with your Sundays while I go & run a lovely hot bubble bath.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Monday Debt-busters,
    A nice surprise this morning as my Yougov payment had landed in our bank account, so I was able to pay 50 straight across to the Loan Pay-Down Fund. While doing this, I noticed that this fund has also earned a staggering 1.43 interest.......the bank needs to slow down, handing out money like that......if I didn't intend to leave it where it is, I could withdraw that, add 1.07 & buy a whole cup of coffee!
    Anyway, the payment was the good thing & means that the paydown fund, which was down to 60 in December, is now at 533, & I'm still waiting for a paypal transfer which will also be added.
    Survey earnings so far this year stand at 164.
    I've had a nice little harvest from the garden too, today. I lifted the forcing crock & pulled nearly a kilo of pink spring rhubarb. I've cooked it & divvied it up into little pots for freezing. They will be nice healthy snack pots as they only work out at 23 calories each.
    Ok, must go & see if the laundry's dry as I can see a big black cloud hoving into view.
    Hope you're all getting off to a good start this week,
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi readers,
    Endless rain today. It didn't stop till late afternoon when it was too late to start any work in the veggie garden & it doesn't feel like it's actually got properly light all day. Have found myself perusing websites of tempting clothes selling emporia this week, so decided to get all my Spring/Summer clothes out in the spirit of shopping from home.
    I've already turned the heating off so it was a bit chilly getting down to my bra & pants for trying on. Nevertheless, I went through everything. In an ideal world, I'd probably buy myself a couple of new tops, a skirt & summer dress. But I don't need them. My weight is currently between a 16 & 18 - I think I mentioned that I dieted down from a 26 to a 16 a few years ago & now yo-yo constantly between a 16 & 18. I think it makes money sense to wear what I already own until the Autumn when my aim is that I will be a stone & a half lighter & a proper size 16 all over. If I buy size 18s now, then lose a little weight, they will soon be too loose on the shoulders. So.....that spot of shopping from home & trying-on was really useful. Just need to be strong when I walk past 'Monsoon' now & I'm much better at that these days, thank goodness!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,258 Thanks
    joedenise
    Well done on the "shopping from home". Definitely makes sense to make use of what you already have, particularly if you are planning on losing some more weight.

If you find you need any more clothes don't buy from a shop look in your local charity shops - will definitely be cheaper than buying new.

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin