Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,714Posts
    • 26,166Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 55
Page 40
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 43,850 Thanks
    DawnW
    I am a dealer Foxgloves, have been since before I took early retirement 5 years ago. I rent a unit in an antiqes arcade and sell online too, so go to antiques / flea markets / boot sales regularly. I am quite hard headed about it these days though - I don't pay much for anything (if it is more than I think I can make a small profit on, I don't buy) and rarely buy anything for myself these days - and if I do, something I already have has to go!

Having said that, I have squandered money on this stuff in the past
    And I have my share the inevitable 'dealers mistakes' which haven't sold, in some cases from years back

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Jan 19, 6:16 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Good job I don't live anywhere near you then, Dawn. I mostly avoid fairs now as it is the one area left where I know a bit of the old spendyness could jump out. I have always liked old & interesting things & have collected many things over the years. Have spent a load of money though.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 55
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Busy, busy today, as decided to continue blitzing my little HQ room. Turned up more useful resources - a nice pack of dividers I never knew I even had, so I can use them for another project I have in mind, instead of buying new. I've gone through all my big lever arch files today.....you know the ones.....all the household financial paperwork, tax, pension statements, insurance, you name it.....I've found so many A4 plastic wallets (do they actually breed?) that I don't think I'll ever need to buy any ever again!
    I also turned up a project I did a few years ago - an energy audit of our home. I had totally forgotten about this, although as soon as I found it, I remembered going around each room with a clipboard, noting what we could do better to save on energy costs.
    Well, I'd just made coffee & so I had 5 mins while I read through it & instantly counted 6 things I identified which we could do, which have lapsed. I had to get back to my clearing out as could barely see the floor, but I will definitely be revisiting that document & chucking a bit of bright pink marker pen on the good habits we seem to have abandoned over the last few years.
    Apart from that, & a quick break for lunch & to do next week's meal plans, I have been Mrs Binbags all day.
    Defo time for some sofa/backside interface this evening!
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    P.S Dug out an old recipe tonight which I hadn't made for years! Lentil & mushroom gratin. It made 2 good portions plus one for the freezer & it costs very little in terms of ingredients. It's inspired me to go through my cookery books & recipe cuttings box, etc, & make a list of other cheap but healthy meals to make for some variety. I did find a couple quickly to put on next week's meal plans.
    F x
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 43,850 Thanks
    DawnW
    I love looking through the old recipes too Foxgloves, both my own collection and older ones belonging to other people. I have one belonging to a deceased great aunt, and have picked up a few more over the years, either rescued from bins or bought for pennies (literally, the last one, found a few weeks ago, was 20p). It breaks my heart seeing these collections, some hand written and others clipped out of 1950s and 60s (or older) magazines or newspapers, just consigned to the house clearance when the owner dies or goes into care They often contain snippets of personal info, such as appointments etc and household tips, even photos sometimes, a real little bit of social history. And sometimes the recipes are quite good, too! I can't help rescuing them when I see them

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,750 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I went through my cookery books when I last had a clear out and copied out the recipes I liked,I put them in my recipe folder then gave the books to charity,it condensed my recipes down quite nicely as I had quite a few books that I only used a few recipes from

There must be something in the air because everyone seems to having a clear out at the moment
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,756 Total Now Owed = 15,874
    Emergency Fund = 1,500 Xmas savings = 300
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I am a sucker for the old cookbooks in charity shops, Dawn. I like historical ones too, you know, the ones where recipes begin 'Take 14 eggs & a quart of ale, etc'. I have Ruth Mott's 'Victorian kitchen' on DVD & love all the old ways in it.
    OBL - It's such a good time of year for clearing out, isn't it? I've just done another bin bag of shredding. Mr f is at it too & is talking about blitzing the shed. That would result in a massive 'Yay!' from me!
    F
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Jan 19, 6:58 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 43,850 Thanks
    DawnW
    Good luck with the shed! Ours aren't too bad, or at least the garage isn't,though there are some things in there that I would really like to see the back of - OH has a huge shearing machine engine thingy taking up one corner, I have no idea why, and he never looks at it, but won't get rid, despite my nagging. He has loads of carp in his workshop too, but does clear that up a bit fairly regularly, or there wouldn't be room for him to do anything in there

The weather (here at least) is really good for clearing / tidying outside atm. We have just completed a garden project (replaced old timber on a large raised bed and constructed another, smaller raised bed). OH used scrap materials from these jobs to make a large raised trough thing, a bit like those expensive 'veg trugs' I have seen advertised. I spent this afternoon giving this a couple of coats of wood preservative, and my next job will be to acquire something to line it, as cheaply as possible. I think it will become a strawberry bed

I have also finished gathering up old wood, new wood, tools etc and sweeping up. I managed to sell 8 concrete slabs that we took up and didn't have another use for, only 8 but it all helps, and they are now gone

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 19, 6:59 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Penny-Wranglers,
    Well, I've been quite resourceful today. We've planned a city centre trip tomorrow. I would like to buy a pot of my favourite moisturiser as I haven't had any for ages & have been making do with very much cheaper brands. My elixir of choice costs 26. As a luxury item, it has to come out of my Personal Spends & I don't have a spare 26. Hmmmm, what to do, I was thinking. I do have enough loyalty points for 5 off, but still 21 left to find. What I DO have is 25 in Amazon vouchers (earned from surveys) which I haven't earmarked for anything, so I nonchalantly offered them to mr f at a 4 discount. That way, he gets 4 'free' & I get the remaining 21 I want for my scrummy moisturiser.
    And he jumped at it! Result!
    Enjoy your Friday nights, everyone.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 19, 7:03 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Wow, Dawn! That's such a productive start to the year. I long to catch up in the garden. I'm so behind because I've been trying to rest my poorly tendon, but have come to the conclusion that resting it doesn't have any effect, so we have a gardening day planned for Sunday x
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 43,850 Thanks
    DawnW
    This post seems to be on multiple threads?

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 19, 10:20 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks, but I'm happy with my energy supplier, which isn't one of the 'Big Six'.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Jan 19, 10:57 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,750 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Thanks, but I'm happy with my energy supplier, which isn't one of the 'Big Six'.
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    read the post and thought they were talking about plant bulbs
    Just keep swimming
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    This post seems to be on multiple threads?
    Originally posted by DawnW
    I noticed that too, I reported it when I realised. Not sure if that breaks the rules or not though.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/2860
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Greetings Sunday Savers,
    I've been out in the garden this morning, sorting out my worm composting unit....& it got me thinking about my Spendy Years. An awful lot of the money I spent back then was pretty much wasted, but the worm composting unit is still going as strong as ever & if maintained properly, produces loads of free liquid plant food each year, as well as several trays of high quality compost.
    I can remember buying it as if it were yesterday. I was at Peak Spendy & as a keen gardener bought a fair few gardening magazines. One of them had an article about worm composting & as I liked to think of myself as quite 'green', I instantly bought one. I could have had a cheaper model or built my own, but no, I had to have the most expensive one available, along with all the paraphernalia. In the scheme of things, it wasn't vastly expensive, just short of 100, but I didn't have 100. I lived in permanent overdraft & had been in debt since the age of 19. A bad decision from a financial point of view.
    However, in terms of usefulness, 18 years later, this item is still very much in use. I've also found that I don't need to spend money on any of the stuff I originally bought to set up my worm composter. I use shredded bank statements for their bedding, large circles of cardboard box card for moisture mats, & when the composting worms need their numbers boosting, there are plenty to be found in our ordinary compost bins for transferring. And I love that unwanted stuff like flour bags, coffee grounds & filter papers & fruit & veg scraps can be utilised to make all this free liquid plant food. So not everything I bought back then was a waste of money.....though I think on balance there was a lot more unnecessary tat bought than useful stuff. And lots of what I spent back then was of the usual 'nothing to show for it' variety - glossy magazines, endless coffee shop visits, take-aways, top-up shops, gift shop tat, DVDs I watched once, sale rail stuff I didn't like enough to wear more than a couple of times - all ex-spenders will recognise these categories, I know.
    But it was quite nice today to realise that one item I blithely added to my overdraft without a moment's hesitation back then, has really lasted excellently well.
    F x
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 13th Jan 19, 7:03 PM
    • 5,512 Posts
    • 14,429 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    You have inspired me

I have 5 ordinary composters at the allotment but think I could find room for something that gives me free plant food. Hmmm.....will have to investigate.
    [COLOR="Red"]Make 10 a day challenge 2019 Jan 397.78 Feb 290.82
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....485.83 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721,41,828
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi there, Kantankrus,
    I shall soon be getting my seed box out to see what I need to buy & what I still have in stock. Lots of clearing to do in the garden. Everything came to such a halt last year when my Mum became so ill & everything that followed. I did manage to get our food harvested & into the freezer, preserved, etc, but I always say that the new gardening year begins in October, with clearing, digging over, planning, etc, so I need to get cracking.
    Re compost bins - I have 5 too, but would still be reluctant to give up my wormery. Once it's up & running, it costs nothing to maintain. If I'd known at the time of purchase what I know now, I'd just have bought the unit & an initial batch of composting worms (my old compost bin at the time wasn't open at the base, so no chance back then of any free ones). I've been using a big circle of recycled cardboard as the 'moisture mat' to go on top for years now, & it works fine. They do eventually scoff it, but that just makes more compost, & it's easy enough to have a few card circles cut out ready in the shed. The initial bedding I bought was the coir compost bricks, but since that first 'go' I've just used shredded household paper. In fact, it's quite nice to know that all those bank & credit card statements are going to be top quality compost, via food for worms! If your compost bins are open at the bottom, then you will probably have lots of the red composting worms, so as long as you can collect a lot of these, you could get a worm composter going fairly easily. They turn all sorts of things into compost - all fruit & veg scraps (apart from citrus & onion), empty flour bags & brown paper bags, paper & cardboard, coffee grounds & filter papers, tea bags (though the ones which still use non-biodegradable glue leave a bit of a weird residue), crushed eggshell (using this means I haven't had to buy any lime to add), etc. The compost is different from that from my normal compost bins because it's basically worm casts (which you can buy, of course) & I use it to give various things, a boost. The worms kind of eat their way up the unit, so you harvest the bottom tray when it's ready, & put it back on top to start filling it again, if you see what I mean. There's a tap at the base where you can run off the liquid plant feed. It gets diluted to 10 parts of water so once they start producing it, it goes a long way. It would be impossible to say what nutrients are in it without testing, but mr f says that's all his potatoes get given! I do buy commercial tomato food for the fussier crops like tomatoes, aubergines, etc, but I swish plenty of Worm Tea around too.
    Anyway, I hope this is a bit useful & I'll be interested to hear if you decide to start one.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 26,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Well, a nice little surprise today. I received a survey invitation from a survey forum I haven't really done that well with. I decided to use the link in the email just to click across & thought I'd probably cancel my membership. They don't send that many survey invites & I haven't had any rewards. I discovered the reason for this is that I had not the faintest idea of how many 'points' I'd got & so I'd never cashed in. I found I had more than enough points for a 10 John Lewis voucher, with some to spare, so that was a nice surprise! I like to keep a tally of my annual survey earnings in my signature on here, so I can see how I'm doing. It's only mid-way through January & I've made 25 already! I don't think I'll beat last year's total though, as one of the brand forums I was on has finished, & that was reliable for at least 60 a year. Oh well, we'll see. I have to admit I do get ridiculously excited by vouchers!
    F x
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 14th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    • 5,512 Posts
    • 14,429 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Thanks for all that great info Foxgloves. Really interesting as I get as much used coffee as I could possibly use as I work in a coffee shop/restaurant.

Have been to B&Q today to spend 20 vouchers I earnt on consumer pulse. Needed some new secateurs, seed compost and a few seeds that I realised I didnt have when sorting through my seed box.

I have been earning vouchers online for ages but I still get a kick out of getting something for nothing.

Hoping the interest I earn on a savings account will pay my allotment fees and vouchers will buy anything new I need to buy this year. So in theory..........anything I grow will have cost me nothing.
    [COLOR="Red"]Make 10 a day challenge 2019 Jan 397.78 Feb 290.82
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....485.83 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721,41,828
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,750 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi. Foxgloves, I have a worm bin too but doesn't sound as posh as yours,I got mine from my local council along with a supply of worms for 20, I have failed miserably in its upkeep though and all my worms escaped eventually
    I will have to research it properly and see if I can get it going again
    I have a large normal compost bin that is open at the bottom so theoretically there should be some suitable worms in there
    Just keep swimming
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,048Posts Today

6,234Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin