Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,025Posts
    • 20,707Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 244
Page 4
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 5th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Oooooh, I take it back - just received my Toluna payment. Will extract it from Paypal tonight along with the money from my last Ziffit sale.
    Just putting a cafetiere on to celebrate. I know how to live, don't I?!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning!
    I'm just going to tidy the kitchen & mix up a sourdough loaf, then I'm going to carry on with my major decluttering efforts to see if I turn up any 'treasure'. The most useful treasure would be stuff I can potentially sell on ebay, as I intend to do some listings later today.
    Will pop back later with achievements. My focus on getting rid of this last bit of loan has doubled over the last week.
    Up & at it!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 6th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    I wish I had your "up and at it" attitude today Foxgloves! The weather here this morning was awful so I'd made plans accordingly but in the last 15minutes its changed completely but I'm soon going to be heading out to get the kids from school and then I'll have little chance to get any decluttering done! So I'm hoping that the weather is like this tomorrow as its the garage that's next on my declutter list but it needs to be a dry day as I need to be getting lots of things out on to the drive to sort through and decide what I'm keeping and what going to go.
    Here's hoping you've found some treasure !
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    1LuckyLady - Shame you had to change your plans, but you are brave for gearing up to tackle the garage. Yes, I did find some quite useful stuff. I am not in anyway a hoarder, but it amazes me just how much stuff we seem to have kicking around. Weather not bad here....have pretty much managed to get a set of bed linen dry on the line, so that's a sign Spring isn't far away. I was surprised to feel so 'Up & at it' this morning, as am still tired halfway through the day from the aftermath of the lergy, but I have got lots done. Just wish I could get 'Up & at it' about getting back on the diet at the moment!!
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello all,
    A useful day on the whole. I'm going to go & sort out leftover spicy pulled pork for tonight's meal in a minute, but wanted to post today's loan busting efforts first.
    I've paid the Paypal money from Toluna & our last Ziffit trade across to our Loan Pay Down Fund today & that's taken it up to 481-96. It was just under 1000 last year, but as I said in my introductory post, we had a string of expenses, as well as emotionally, a very difficult year, & by Christmas it was down to 60. I'm feeling positive about building it up again. The last one-off lump sum we were able to pay off the loan reduced the overall term by nearly 2 years, so it does feel worth doing. So I only need another 18-05 & the 'We can rebuild it' LPDF will break 500.
    Carried on with decluttering & looking for 'treasure'. Found a few more things to list on ebay & weighed everything for postage costs, but didn't get round to listing, as found one of my charity shop pile of books was worth 2.34 on Ziffit (just a thin stapled paperback) so decided to see if I could get a box together. Managed it! They didn't want most things I tried, but I have boxed up 9-43's worth of books & CDs and that will go into the LPDF too, as all these little odds & sods do. Just to add......9 of the items had previously been tried on Ziffit & not been wanted. This time, they wanted them, so I will remember that & maybe make sure I wait 2 or 3 weeks & try them again. Great to make a bit of cash out of decluttering. I probably won't get the ebay stuff listed till Thursday now, but it'll give me a chance to see if any there are further items to add to the pile.

Oh, & I finished making my Easter cards. As I said on the DFW Small Things thread, they do look a bit of a pig's breakfast, but I have saved a few quid as I always send a few, & have used up some of the craft supplies that have been sitting around for a very long time doing nothing.

As I said in my first post, we've achieved debt-free in the past.....neither of us really wanted to borrow to help us buy a decent (not new) car, but we knew the timings would mean that it was pretty much inevitable. We both used to borrow & squander money at the drop of a hat, but we are so debt-averse now, we just want this gone as soon as possible, then the monthly loan repayment amount can go into savings instead. Am feeling like Mrs Focussed of Focussed Land at the moment!
    Hope you've all had a productive day & that all the lergies are starting to get better.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning all,
    Been outside early this morning clearing the herb bed & digging it over. It's great to see new Spring growth just coming through, as that means we'll soon be picking bunches of free herbs. The sorrel is leafing up nicely too, so will soon be picking a few of its nice new lemony leaves for adding to salads, as turning the bigger tougher ones into soup. The rosemary bush is looking lush. I picked a few sprigs the other week when I baked an onion & rosemary-topped focaccia-style loaf. It was so tasty...nothing special, just standard A*di bread flour, which does a good job, & really, with a bowl of soup, its a meal. I found a pot of sage cuttings I took last year, so hope they will have survived the recent cold sufficiently for me to add them to the herb bed. I haven't had to buy any parsley over the winter, either, as around November, I separated out some of the straggly roots from a supermarket pot & planted them in the greenhouse border, where they rallied & I now have some really strong free plants, so I shall transfer those outside too. Isn't it lovely when garden food supplies start re-appearing? It's early days, but I think we're all quite ready to see some Spring sunshine.
    Other loan-busting activity (apart from being generally frugal): Decided it's time now to start cutting down energy use. The cold snap has gone, so it's line-drying for our laundry now, as often as possible & the downstairs heating will go on at 6pm if needed. I've already turned the upstairs radiators down a notch. I think energy bills will keep rising, & likely to be worse post-Brexit, so I want to build up a decent amount of credit.
    Only little things.....but 3 more items decluttered & weighed ready for listing on ebay, & 3 Prolific Academic surveys done this morning - my PA total is now up to just below 37. I can cash out at just 5, but I thought I would try & get to 50 first, so that I can withdraw it from Paypal & pay a nice little chunk straight into the Loan Pay Down Fund.
    Planning a greenhouse day tomorrow, as need to get more of this year's food supplies sown. We really do buy a LOT less fresh veg in growing season, so a bit of hard work now does pay off - & good free exercise too.
    If I could get rid of this last bit of loan just by thinking about it & wishing it gone, I'd have paid it off 100 times over this last week!
    Oh well, onwards....
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 07-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    If you set up a circle account (another version of PayPal) you can cash out of PA for no fees once you've hit 20.00.

I only use circle for cashing out PA
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks - that's useful advice. I'll look into that.
    F
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 7th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Working Mum
    I also got a circle account for cashing out PA and it saves a few pennies vs Paypal each time. I am a bit paranoid and I cash out everything when I can and "stash" the spoils in various places like Am4zon gift cards etc
    It is lovely that Spring is nibbling at the edges of our lives and everything seems slightly hopeful doesn't it!!

PS I also got a Pockit account via Swagb@cks and I have started to pop a few of my spoils in there so I can access it for a small emergency or treat fund!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    What's Pockit? I've not heard of that one.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Mar 18, 7:53 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks, WorkingMum. I shall have to look into Circle.
    Big job list here today. Had better stop drinking coffee & dreaming about loans magically disappearing, & crack on!
    We didn't get the snow that was forecast here overnight so I am hoping to have a productive session in the greenhouse sowing veggie seed.
    Back later.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 8th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Working Mum
    What's Pockit? I've not heard of that one.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    It is a debit card facility - a bit like PayPal - I got some bonus Sw@gbux by doing it -- it is a debit card with pin and is accessed online - pre-paid type card I suppose with a direct debit facility coming soon. I have been rounding down my current account to it and my survey pennies so that I can access it quickly if needed.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    It is a debit card facility - a bit like PayPal - I got some bonus Sw@gbux by doing it -- it is a debit card with pin and is accessed online - pre-paid type card I suppose with a direct debit facility coming soon. I have been rounding down my current account to it and my survey pennies so that I can access it quickly if needed.
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    Thank you, I'll look into it.
    Could be good for work expenses
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well done on using some of your craft stash to make the Easter cards, spring is definitely showing signs of being around the corner here today,I have crocuses in my garden and today the sun was so warm it was nearly possible to take my coat off,I didnt need my scarf or gloves either,I really cant wait for the warmer weather to arrive
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 636.00 Total Now Owed = 16,994
    Emergency Fund = 400.00 Xmas savings = 200.00
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Onebrokelady - Well, I've bought/acquired a lot of craft stuff, so I ought to be using it. I'm a knitter, really, I do a few other crafts just now & again, & I mend clothes & stuff when I need to, but my main craft love is yarn & knitting. At the moment, I am knitting up my big yarn stash before I'm allowed to buy any more.
    I am having 2nd thoughts about my Easter cards, though. They are a bit crinkly from the wetness of the glue & I have decided the chicks look like baby pterodactyls!
    Agree about the signs of Spring. I've had a lovely session in my greenhouse this morning, clearing it out & seed-sowing. I used to spend an awful lot of my unauthorised overdraft at garden centres in the bad old days, so it's good to see I can get good results from actual gardening activity & effort, rather than buying loads of plants & ornamental stuff in.
    But, yes, I think we're all ready to feel the sun on our faces & see a few flowers!
    Last edited by foxgloves; 09-03-2018 at 4:48 PM.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello diary readers,
    Well, next week's meal plans have been done & I'm about to sit down with those & a couple of recipes to start the shopping list. I use my meal plans to write the list, with lots of cupboard/freezer checking to make sure I'm not re-buying stuff I've already got. That's made be think how much of our success in paying off our 35K debts originally was down to planning. It's funny really, because mr f has always been a meticulous planner at work, & so was I while I was working. We also both managed reasonable sized budgets at work & kept them straight to the penny! But at home, our approach to managing money was very lax. Partly this was down to attitude & credit being extremely easy to acquire for 2 people on decent salaries, but partly it was down to really p*ss-poor planning!
    Planning is one of the things where we really took ourselves in hand & we now apply it willingly to many areas of our lives:
    *Budgeting (More of that later) but what is budgeting if not a plan for how your money is going to last for the coming month?
    *Food. Meal planning, proper shopping list & including lots of tasty economical new recipes & 'fakeaways' planned in to avoid wasting money we couldn't afford on expensive takeaways. Extra planning ahead when we knew we'd got family/guests staying, for Christmas & other celebrations so we'd know to put in a little extra money or start buying additional supplies gradually in advance. Freezer list - more planning. But so useful when meal planning to see at a glance what meals could be 'shopped from home'.
    *Diaries/calendars - Every Sunday teatime, we both sit down with a coffee & just go through our diaries to plan use of car (we share one since my redundancy) look at any days where extra pack-up might be needed to avoid a Costa's run, etc.
    *Holidays - We did always book these in advance, but didn't do any planning, so it all tended to go on a credit card. Now I calculate exactly how much money we will need to put aside each month to pay the balance, pay for cat's stay at the cattery & for a sensible amount of spending money.
    *Garden - Veggie garden has an annual written plan of what we want to grow, based on what we eat lots of, what can be frozen to eat throughout winter. It's very different from my old approach of buying in what ever I fancied on impulse at the garden centre.
    *Presents - another huge area of overspending for us in the past. Now I have a page in my bullet diary with everyone we need to buy for & I jot ideas against their name as I think of things. I alsy buy stuff for gifts all year round & pop them away in the presents box, as I used to be an annual silly victim of the overspend on presents in December & suffer those awful debts in January & Feb.
    Maybe some people would say we over-plan, I don't know? I only know that it works for us. Having seen what spendy narnas we were when our approach was just 'Have it now' without any real thought or context, I know which I prefer.
    Also, we are not living in very secure economic times at the moment, & I do find that as soon as I've got a plan drafted out on paper, whether it be our monthly budget, annual projection or just a micro-budget for managing a family event, I do feel more in control.
    That was a long post, wasn't it? But we have achieved debt-free before taking out this modest car loan & I want to share any good habits I can. Planning is defo a really key debt-busting 'good habit'. I think we both really understand now how a 'Have it now' mindset & bad money habits, combined with lack of planning was a really lethal combination in building our original debt.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 09-03-2018 at 4:57 PM.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I don't think it's possible to overplan is it?

I do know, from experience, that I cope much better when a week thought out plan is changed for what ever reason, than trying to pin down moving targets and swap this that and the other with out plan a ever being planned.
    (That makes no sense, but I know what I mean...)
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Lol, no, funnily enough I do kind of know what you mean. Years ago I did a couple of creative writing courses & the tutor told us the most unproductive thing we could do is just stare at a blank page. She told us always to get SOMETHING on paper, then we'd have somethibg to work on, adapt, change, develop, etc. I think it's the same with planning. You can adapt & change a carefully written plan much more easily than trying to apply changes to a load of chaotic stuff in your head.
    So I think I do know what you mean.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Yes, yes, that is exactly what I mean. So much more eloquently put. (But then, you are the one having studied creative writing. )
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,707 Thanks
    foxgloves
    We woke up to such a grey dull old day, & pouring with rain. Decided to have a little 'cheer up' by treating ourselves to breakfast out. And it was completely guilt-free because we paid from our March Personal Spends, so I could enjoy my bacon & avocado on sourdough toast knowing it was not impacting on the budget/bank account in anyway. We also reduced costs a little by choosing Waitrose Cafe so we'd be able to have a free coffee each on our loyalty cards.
    Back in the Spendy Years, we regularly used cafes for breakfasts & lunches.....on a city centre trip, we might have both, & it really did add up. On a city centre trip now, we would usually breakfast at home, treat ourselves to just a coffee & small cakey item mid-morning using our personal spends money, & at lunchtime we find somewhere to eat a packed lunch. I make this the night before as I.know if we are hungry, we'll be tempted to buy paninis & a bowl of chips & that can easily be 15 for two people (mr f doesn't exactly have a titchy appetite!).
    Another thing I really noticed this morning is how much I really enjoyed that breakfast. It"s a rare thing.now for us & because of that it felt like a treat.
    Planning a little trip out tomorrow & am already planning packed lunch to keep us out of the cafe at lunchtime. It must save a good few hundred quid over the year, I should think.
    Enjoy your Saturday night everyone.
    F x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin