Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,394Posts
    • 23,447Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 358
Page 31
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 8th Nov 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 9,009 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    I decided last year that my greatest luxury is having an ample supply of the things that I really love for daily use - so knowing that I have a couple of the french lavender olive oil shower gel from TKMaxx at 7/litre, the herbal non-parabens Shampoo/Conditioner that means I don't get psoriasis, a spare of my favourite perfume, a box of my beloved stripy fineliners in my particular shade of blue, and another in the chocolate brown that goes so well with a wad of yellow legal pads that I use for everything...that sort of thing.

Well, DH took a little while to get this as he recognised that perfume excepted I bought these things for myself and continued to torture himself with trying to find surprises and special gifts which was a lovely thought but often not what I really wanted or needed. Anyway, last birthday he realised that at my grand age I KNOW what I like and now buys me quantities from the above list and other things that similarly make up my preferred roster of 'stuff'. He's even stopped his mother buying me a gift voucher for shops that I never ever shop in.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Evening debt-busters,
    I've hurt my hand - feels like an RSI-type thing & have compounded the issue by deciding to chop back a huge buddleja this morning. I was so raring to go today, I'd got a sourdough loaf in the oven before I'd even brushed my hair, & was in the shed before it was properly light searching for my secateurs!
    Naturally as my hand is quite painful, esp if I twist it, tonight's meal plan offering was an admittedly delicious, but quite labour intensive Hairy Biker curry. It's easy peasy to make, but involves lots of chopping - onions & garlic, fresh ginger, butternut squash, french beans, carrots & tomatoes and my poor hand objected vehemently to this. On the positive side, I've got 2 generous portions to freeze for another day & while it was all bubbling away on the hob, I rinsed the squash seeds & have spread them to dry ready for sowing next year. I used one of our homegrown squash instead of butternut. A fellow contributor to the DFW Small Things thread kindly sent me some saved seeds from her squash crop a couple of years ago -'Guatemalan Blue' - & they are really nice squash - big, sweet & can be used in any recipe requiring butternut. I saved seed from my last year's crop & shared it with a friend who has an allotment. I shall enjoy drying this year's ready to sow next May. Seeds & bulbs hold so much promise, don't they?
    Well I must rest my hand now & stop typing, so will read my book.
    Cat disgusted there is no downstairs heating on. It just hasn't felt cold enough yet, but it will go.on when I'm chilly.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Oh dear,I hope your hand gets better soon, when we had our allotment we grew Patty Pan squash and they were lovely and tasty, we also saved some seeds to grow pumpkins the second year we were there and we won second prize in our allotment pumpkin competition,I've never been so excited to win something
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,440 Total Now Owed = 16,190
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Nov 18, 7:00 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Pattypsn squash are attractive too, aren't they? Like little shells when they're growing.
    I love the idea of an allotment but we have a big garden so I don't really need one & I think I'd struggle to tend both.
    I love growing food though. As soon as January arrives, you can bet I'll be sorting out my seed box & perusing seed catalogues.
    I don't seem to have much 'ooomph' today, but mr f is off as he's owed time & has just announced that he will do most of my usual Friday big clean because of my bad hand. I think I can go with that as a plan!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Pattypsn squash are attractive too, aren't they? Like little shells when they're growing.
    I love the idea of an allotment but we have a big garden so I don't really need one & I think I'd struggle to tend both.
    I love growing food though. As soon as January arrives, you can bet I'll be sorting out my seed box & perusing seed catalogues.
    I don't seem to have much 'ooomph' today, but mr f is off as he's owed time & has just announced that he will do most of my usual Friday big clean because of my bad hand. I think I can go with that as a plan!
    Yes they are quite attractive,we had to give our allotment up because we didn't have time for it
    It was badly neglected when we took it over and we cleared it all and got it going again but keeping it going while working full time just wasn't happening,whoever took it over after us inherited some lovely soil though and I hope it went to someone who got a lot of use out of it

I still look at seeds but at the moment don't have much space to grow,the back garden is taken over by the chickens and they would eat anything I tried to grow now,but I have my pallet which I WILL get set up one day,maybe in time for next season if I pull my finger out,I've got the stuff to do it just not the energy

I like the sound of Mr Fs plan too,take it easy and have a relaxing day
    Just keep swimming
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 41,531 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Ha I've just brought home one of those yesterday foxgloves! It's massive. I only had one of those this year, as was a bad year for the allotment. Too wet, then too hot and I was very absorbed with sewing!

Was just having a nosy to see how you're doing
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Nov 18, 5:49 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Ha! Well then, good job you did, DNMS, as you had a mention! I had 3 off 2 plants this year & 2 were a really good size. I ran a little experiment with them using comfrey. The liquid feed is good but so stenchy & foetid - admittedly watering it over my jeans & sandals was my own fault - & I wanted to try some orher ways of using it that I'd read about. So Squash 1 - comfrey chopped up & dug into the soil then squash planted.
    Squash 2. Raised bed. Whole big comfrey stems laid 4cms deep as a base, covered with soil then squash planted.
    Squash 3. Planted squash in ordinary garden soil. Chopped up a load of comfrey - a couple of buckets worth - & spread on top of soil. Didn't dig it in. It rotted in naturally as I watered.
    Results : Squash 1. Carked it early doors!!
    Squash 2. 1 fruit (the smallest). And took a long time to get going.
    Squash 3. Two fruits - 1 very large & 1 even bigger. Very vigorous plant indeed. Will try this method again next year & extend to other crops.
    So thanks for those original seeds.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Nov 18, 6:16 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    And I need to have a think about this morning's shopping. Chose Mr M's today & had done a good list, based as usual, on my meal plan for the coming week. Target spend 50. Actual spend 72.
    Ehhh?
    As mr f is Chief Bag Packer (He says I only make an effort with the first 3 items then just chuck it all in anyhow.....which in fairness, is true), he dealt with the transaction & I went off to the loo (which was quite amusing as there was someone with a voice to put foghorns in the shade in one of the cubicles having a long phone conversation while everyone else queued......I spent my entire wee trying to think if I've ever phoned anyone while on the loo & was pleased to conclude that I hadn't!) Anyway....I digress....when I came out, all the bags were packed & mr f was having a look at the receipt as he was surprised we were 22 over budget on what seemed like a fairly un-enormous shop. No errors or mysteries that he could see. We doubled up on cat meat as it was a good price, I bought a couple of bags of nuts for Christmas, 3 items for the food bank, some 'meaty bones' to make soup & he had a bottle of beer - but apart from that, we stuck to our list. Defo not as cheap as A*di but prices still edging up everywhere.
    So I needed to think of some positives after that & here they are:
    *We both had a free mince pie with our coffee in Waitrose cafe.
    *Picked up Waitrose lovely free food magazine.
    *Local farm had a stall on the market today & I bought a beautiful big red cabbage to make my Christmas Day braised cabbage with apples & spices. It will make loads & freezes well.
    *Finished our Christmas present shopping. As we got a 3 for 2 on some festive chocs, we will use the free one to fill our advent calender instead of buying something else.
    *All my outstanding online gifts also arrived today so truly a job done. I wssn't wildly happy with Postie leaving one of them in the wheelie bin while I was out - It was right at the bottom & as I'm only a bit over 5'3", I found myself practically wearing the damned bin.in order to get it out!
    Oh, & I walked past 'Monsoon' without being tempted. Admittedly this had more to do with our car park time running out than angelic intent on my part, but still, it was a non-spendy result.
    If only the groceries had come in closer to budget, I could have called that a good day all round.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 8:56 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Why on earth would you put it in the bin,good job it wasn't bin day,my postie has a key to my meter cupboard so if I'm the order fits in there he leaves it in there,I also have an old cupboard out the front that is waiting to go to the tip and he sometimes leaves larger items in there
    I went to Mr M the other day and although a lot of it was cheap some of it cost more then Mr S which I was surprised about
    Just keep swimming
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Nov 18, 7:05 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Yes, OBL. It's definitely worth shopping around. The own label butter I bought yesterday was the same price as Waitrose's, which surprised me. I think that with everything I've had to deal with since August, especially being away from home for hospital visiting & all that followed, I haven't been able to do my usual levels of batch cooking - in fact, there is space in our freezer atm which is most unusual. This will also be impacting on grocery spends because I can usually plan around 4 meals a week from the freezer & then often just need a Sunday roast to provide the makings of the rest. I am continuing to get back to normal as things settle down - in fact I'm planning a bit of a cooking day tomorrow.
    F x
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 16,114 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    *All my outstanding online gifts also arrived today so truly a job done. I wssn't wildly happy with Postie leaving one of them in the wheelie bin while I was out - It was right at the bottom & as I'm only a bit over 5'3", I found myself practically wearing the damned bin.in order to get it out!
    I frequently find things in our recycling bag which is outside the door. To be fair our postie isn't the culprit. He usually asks the neighbours who are particularly friendly with one another to take things in but the courier drivers are really bad for leaving things in the most inappropriate places.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Nov 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    My biggest annoyance with couriers is not giving people sufficient time to open the door. I told one off earlier this year. I was only sitting about 4 metres from the front door when he knocked. I jumped up immediately & went straight to the door to find him already back down the drive making a note that I was out!! To get there that quickly, he must have knocked & not waited any time whatsoever. Anyway, he got short shrift from me when I called him back!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening all,
    A quite laid back, but productive day. I got the slow cooker going first thing to make some soup to freeze for mr f's work lunches. I bought a pack of 'meaty bones' yesterday (grand sum of 1.58) & with a round up of veg & a few splashes & pinches of this & that, they've made 5 good hearty portions of soup. He loves it. I don't really like meat-based soups so shall make myself a batch of leek & potato at some point.
    Put an hour aside this morning to update budgets but couldn't get to my desk because of all my Christmas shopping, so decided to do a bit of wrapping. This is when my thrifty salvaging of wrapping materials really pays off. I recycle larger pieces of used wrapping paper, ribbons, bits & piwces for making labels, gift bags, etc. I wrapped 10 presents this afternoon & am nowhere near having to cut into a roll of new paper yet. And they all look pretty. I just can't bear lovely paper being ripped off & jettisoned straight into the bin. My Mum used to tell us about getting presents from her aunts who lived abroad. This was during wartime & Mum always said she kept every scrap of the pretty paper they were wrapped in because you couldn't get much of anything here at home & as a small child, the nice paper seemed to her as exciting as the gift within! I think of this story every year when I'm seeing what I can salvage from discarded wrappings.....& yes, if I'm spending Christmas at someone else's house, I still do it. For someone who used to fritter money away right, left & centre, the last ten years or so have seen me become incredibly intolerant of waste.
    Mr f bought me a walnut whip on his way home from work, & you'll be glad to hear that I haven't wasted that either.
    Enjoy your Saturday night, all.
    F x
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Nov 18, 9:29 PM
    • 4,120 Posts
    • 35,286 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I know that Mr S isn't the cheapest of places to shop, but my weekly shop was 75 too yesterday, and not particularly frivolous. Lots of basics like pasta and rice, no meat as I get it from the butcher - I like Mr M but sometimes find it difficult to get stuff the kids ask for in there so don't go often. If I had more time I'd go to Aldee and top up at Mr S. It is just expensive these days.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 8 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 11:19 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My biggest annoyance with couriers is not giving people sufficient time to open the door. I told one off earlier this year. I was only sitting about 4 metres from the front door when he knocked. I jumped up immediately & went straight to the door to find him already back down the drive making a note that I was out!! To get there that quickly, he must have knocked & not waited any time whatsoever. Anyway, he got short shrift from me when I called him back!
    I've had this too, they move like greased lightening
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 11:24 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Evening all,
    A quite laid back, but productive day. I got the slow cooker going first thing to make some soup to freeze for mr f's work lunches. I bought a pack of 'meaty bones' yesterday (grand sum of 1.58) & with a round up of veg & a few splashes & pinches of this & that, they've made 5 good hearty portions of soup. He loves it. I don't really like meat-based soups so shall make myself a batch of leek & potato at some point.
    Put an hour aside this morning to update budgets but couldn't get to my desk because of all my Christmas shopping, so decided to do a bit of wrapping. This is when my thrifty salvaging of wrapping materials really pays off. I recycle larger pieces of used wrapping paper, ribbons, bits & piwces for making labels, gift bags, etc. I wrapped 10 presents this afternoon & am nowhere near having to cut into a roll of new paper yet. And they all look pretty. I just can't bear lovely paper being ripped off & jettisoned straight into the bin. My Mum used to tell us about getting presents from her aunts who lived abroad. This was during wartime & Mum always said she kept every scrap of the pretty paper they were wrapped in because you couldn't get much of anything here at home & as a small child, the nice paper seemed to her as exciting as the gift within! I think of this story every year when I'm seeing what I can salvage from discarded wrappings.....& yes, if I'm spending Christmas at someone else's house, I still do it. For someone who used to fritter money away right, left & centre, the last ten years or so have seen me become incredibly intolerant of waste.
    Mr f bought me a walnut whip on his way home from work, & you'll be glad to hear that I haven't wasted that either.
    Enjoy your Saturday night, all.
    F x
    I save gift bags if I get any but have never managed to save wrapping paper as everyone in my family go completly ferral when unwrapping presents,I did console myself with putting it in the recycling bin until I found out last year that most of it isn't recycleable I was toying with using brown paper this year and maybe decorating it,but I think this will end up costing too much to be practical

I still haven't bought any walnut whips, I really want one now but will have to wait until tomorrow,I might end up in town so will be able to get one then
    Just keep swimming
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CCL - Yes, our shopping was the same - very little in it other than basics - we doubled up on coffee & cat meat because it was on offer, but there was no big joint of meat or box of washing powder or lots of frivolous extras. I think we will go back to shopping at A*ld next week. We do have a branch in town, but it is on the outskirts & so it involves moving the car to a different car park if we also need lots of stuff from the market or we have heavy charity shop bags to drop off, etc. 'Shopping from home' is going to be a massive theme of the week ahead - see post to come.

OBL - Have you tried the M&S ones? Box of three walnut whips - a standard one, a double chocolate one which has chocolate sauce at the bottom under the mallow fluff & a toffee pecan one which has toffee sauce. If not, I think you defo need to put those on your Santa list!

F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Nov 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Well, I'm still going on about that 22 over budget grocery shop the other day. I've been through the receipt like Mrs Scrooge from Stingyland & there are no errors or overchargings & all the offers/deals went through correctly. That means our trolley load of really very ordinary things really was 22 more than we expected it to be. I toyed with the idea of via-ing some extra money to the grocery budget to make up the shortfall, but I decided not to do this, as we have quite an expensive month coming up, plus there are big worries about the security of mr f's job at the moment. So we talked about it & we decided to use current stores as much as possible & meal plan with this very much in mind. So the big theme of this week & the one after that is going to be 'Shopping from Home'. I haven't been quite as focussed on this over the last few weeks for unavoidable reasons, but I am home now, & am up for the challenge. We have 70 left in the grocery fund until pay-day & lots of food in the pantry & freezer. With a bit of time put into batch cooking & baking, I think I can produce two weeks of meal plans which are both creative & frugal.
    So I've started that today, really. I've baked a granary loaf & tomorrow's packed lunch is some tasty leftovers from the freezer. I used up a limp lemon & the last of a bag of dried fruit to make some buns & while I was at it, made a bit more mixture, added almond extract & used it to bake a sponge layer to freeze ready for a Christmas trifle (trifle sponges duly crossed off festive shopping list as we prefer home-made anyway). mr f asked me if I wanted him to pop in M&S Food in his break & get us a treat for dessert. I said 'No' & that I'd make a crumble. I've used our home grown apples & a bag of blackberries from the freezer and as they cooked up into quite a big pan of fruit, I've frozen half of it to go in the trifle instead of buying tins of raspberries. We've used blackberry & apple in a trifle before & everyone said how nice it was........so that was another item crossed off the Christmas food list.
    I'm trying a new recipe tonight & there was a little money saving surprise there too. The recipe stated passata, which I had no intention of buying, so I've defrosted a bag of our homegrown tomatoes, have skinned them (really easy after freezing) & will zizz them up & sieve, to make my own. The recipe was from the Waitrose free newspaper - it's Pea & Paneer Curry. It makes double the quantity of sauce required so I will freeze that & can use it as the basis of another meal. Hope it's nice! I was annoyed about the grocery overspend & not very accepting of it, because like CCL with her shop, we hadn't bought anything out of the ordinary & it certainly wasn't a huge trolleyful, but I do feel very much 'in the zone' now for some serious Shopping from Home & that will be the theme of my diary over the next week. I feel I've started as I mean to go on, today. I think I'll do a new freezer list tomorrow.
    Hope everyone's had a peaceful & productive day.
    F x
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 41,402 Thanks
    joedenise
    Think I also need to do a freezer inventory. I've done my indoor freezer but still haven't done the outside one, which being a chest freezer isn't so easy to see what is in there. I know there's quite a bit of meat and a few H ready meals but really need to know else there is!

Denise
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 11th Nov 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 9,009 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Just popping on to say that M&S do mini walnut whips too but no walnuts on them.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Nov 18, 3:38 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Ooooh, mini walnut whips, Joeyjimbles! I do like a walnut on top, though.

JoeDenise - Yes, I really must get on with my new freezer list. I have put it on my job list for tomorrow. There could be all sorts of yummy & useful things in there I've forgotten about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

612Posts Today

6,024Users online

Martin's Twitter