Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,275Posts
    • 22,521Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 338
Page 16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Just stopped for a coffee. Have weeded & tied in the climbing beans, hoed the squash beds, done a bit of greenhouse maintenance - misting, staking up aubergines, that kind of thing. Have also given the watercress a haircut &ngas I can't access the hob atm, have rinsed it, bagged it & shoved it in the freezer to make watercress soup next week. First signs of ripening tomatoes & courgettes are getting bigger. I love harvesting our own homegrown stuff - makes all the hard work worthwhile. Well that's my coffee swigged, shall pop down to tidy tools away, then time for that knitting or reading in the shade.
    F
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Back when I was a spendy madam, I think that out of all the clothes I bought, more money was wasted on stuff to wear during hot summers than probably any other time of year. I've always loved autumn & winter stuff....black, rich purples, all those lovely fabric textures. I also like skirts & dresses over chunky tights & boots, and tunic tops plus layers over jeans & black trousers so can usually find plenty I like. Summer clothes are a lot less forgiving & often collections seem to focus on 2 or 3 shades, often brights, or pastels, which don't suit me. In the past, I would find myself buying summer tops & stuff which to be honest were just 'ok' & I didn't really like enough to justify spending my money on. Despite this ongoing heat, I don't have many truly summery clothes at all. I'm under 5ft 4 ins, so often find that armholes on sleeveless tops come too low......I don't have many inhibitions but boobs jumping out through your armholes isn't a good look, is it?! Also, maxi dresses are waaayyy too long & are often in fabrics which make taking them up difficult or risky. I did see some lovely linen tunic tops on quite a funky matket stall recently for between 20 & 25, so the plan is (& it's quite money saving on the whole).......1) See if I can make do with what I've got 2) If the hot weather carries on, I'll consider a top from the market stall in a colour which suits me so it will last & be a good wardrobe addition. 3) Order sewing pattern for tunic top. Have already seen one & have the fabric. It's not wildly summery BUT if I like it, I can knock that pattern out in a couple of bargainaceous summer fabrics either this year or next.
    All of this is sounding a lot better than wasting money on stuff I end up hardly wearing, like the old days....i.e buying a top in 2 or 3 different colours despite not really looking or feeling good in any of them. I'm sure improving my dressmaking skills is the answer. Am a demon knitter, but not as confident with making clothes......all those cheap tops I could potentially be turning out though......trots off to find the fabric.....
    F x
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 39,931 Thanks
    joedenise
    Dressmaking doesn't always work out cheaper! The likes of Prim*rk & Mata*an often work out cheaper but of course the quality probably isn't as good as something you make yourself. But if you've got fabric to use anyway the only cost is a pattern, so definitely worth giving it a go.

Denise
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    That's what I'm thinking, joedenise. I paid 7.98 for the fabric & the pattern is just the sort of style I like. It's a tunic style top but there are 3 or 4 different variations so I'd be able to buy the pattern once, but use it several times. It also includes a pattern for leggings, which I'm less likely to make, but I might if I found some awesome fabric. Am lucky that there's a fabric stall on our local market & he rarely charges more than 3.99 per metre, sometimes less - he often has some lovely stuff, so think it's probably worth dusting off the sewing machine to have a little go!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 39,931 Thanks
    joedenise
    Wish there was a fabric stall in my local market or any of the others I can get to if necessary but for some reason none locally sell it and nothing as cheap as 3.99. The only local place I can get fabric is Dune*m and they are certainly not the cheapest!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 33,281 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Oh Foxgloves - I really need some of your motivation. How can I get out of 'can't be bothered' mode? I just seem to put me and the house at the bottom of every list - so nothing ever gets done.
    I caved in last week and bought myself 1 summer top and 1 summer skirt. I had to - I can't cope in this heat at all...
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 7 1 debt vs 100 days 262.01/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Joedenise - I know I'm lucky to have access to a good local market. The fabric stall is there every Wednesday. He has rolls & rolls of stuff stacked high, all sorts of stuff, & is happy for customers to rummage. I've never paid more than 3.99 a metre for anything & I like that he has jersey for making stretchy tops, etc, as I think that can be tricky to find. I like Dunelm but I'd have to head to a big city centre for that as we don't have a local branch so I don't go very often.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CCL - Well you have a huge amount on at the moment, so the beating yourself up for feeling 'can't be bothered' can stop right there, Missis!
    There have certainly been times in my life when I've felt as you describe......& of course, do remember that since taking redundancy, I'm not working, apart from 2 voluntary roles in a charity & local politics.
    But, what I do know, is that if I get stuck in a 'can't be bothered' rut, then I soon start not to feel happy with myself & it can become a bit of a spiral. You know, the more you cba to do something, the more you notice it needs doing until it's occupying a much bigger space in your head than it needs to......then you start beating yourself up because 'that job needs doing & soon' turns into 'I still haven't done that bloody job' & it becomes a stick to beat yourself with. So because I know I feel much happier if I'm on top of things, I try not to let too much stuff slip.
    But I'm not out teaching all week in term time like you are & I don't have children to look after. Also, as you've identified before, I love growing stuff & cooking, which is a big advantage on the home front.
    So don't beat yourself up m'duck! Choose 2 or 3 things you'd really like to tackle over the summer & think how pleased with yourself you will be afterwards.
    Nearly over the line now, Cat!
    F xx
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jul 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 33,281 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    2 more weeks Foxgloves and I cannot wait. I feel like I might sleep for the first week...
    I have a list of jobs - like sorting through old clothes etc. And I'm lucky that I have good friends and a good support network around to help me...
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady - Hi there, I've just caught up with your diary too. Good to hear from you.
    Oh, those bloomin' flamingo lights. Pretty, kitsch, a little bit quirky.....but v v plastic. They will only last for so long, won't be repairable, & will then sit in landfill forever. Like every other bit of plastic churned out since.....well, the invention of plastic...they will never biodegrade. I really did want them, but the feeling did go away & I'm pleased to say has not returned. I appreciate that you recognised the tempting pull of those pesky flamingos. I reckon the same Bad Fairy must have visited both our cradles at birth & sprinkled us liberally with magic spendydust! Thankfully the short-lived pleasure I used to get from buying heaps of stuff has been well & truly eclipsed by loving my budget!
    Take care,
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Yep,I'm covered in spendy dust I have come so close to buying bits I don't need over the last few weeks but I've managed to resist and I've found that if I keep checking my savings bank balance it encourages me to save more
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,172 Total Now Owed = 16,458
    Emergency Fund = 450.00 Xmas savings = 300.00
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Onebrokelady - that's a good tactic. I do something a little bit similar sometimes. If the purchase is to come out of my monthly Personal Spends (which is always cash), I look at that amount of money in my purse & ask myself 'Do I want this item MORE than I'd like to keep that money in my purse?' & more often than not these days, I decide I'd rather keep my cash. Honestly, none of this is exactly quantum physics, is it? How different things would be if I'd been an early adopter of financial common sense. When I was a student (very much the start of my overspending & debt), there was a fellow student who lived in the same Halls & she always budgeted without fail. She was good with her money to the point of parsimony & I thought she was SUCH a goody-twoshoes tightwad! I often wonder what she's doing now....probably paid off her mortgage & got an awesome emergency fund at the very least!
    F x
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jul 18, 6:49 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 33,281 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Foxgloves - do you do your budgeting online or on paper? I'm trying to figure out what's best for me, and I think I'd actually prefer to do it on paper - I don't know what's easier to keep track of.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi CCL,
    While I do most of my banking online & have my monthly outgoings Excel spreadsheet on the laptop, ALL my actual budgeting is done in a big A4 notebook known in our house as 'The Money Book'. I am perfectly IT literate, but I seem to 'think' better with paper & plenty of nice sharp pencils. I also like the fact that I can then access my budget for reconciliation, updates, etc, without having to sign the laptop on. I also really enjoy handwriting. I know lots of people swear by YNAB & I really enjoy reading how it's changed attitudes to budgeting, but I'm happy with my Money Book method. It works for me. We haven't slipped into overdraft for as long as I can remember, Cat, so I must be doing something right. The key is finding a system that works for you......& of course sticking to it. I schedule my Big Budget Day for Pay Day, or as soon afterwards as possible. I never miss a month. I actually think I'd be really stressed if I didn't get to do my budget day for some reason. I've come a long way from that naughty girl who used to stuff her bank statements into a drawer because they were horrible!
    Good luck with getting your new budget set up. Getting back in control is empowering.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Debtbusters,
    Well here's a thing. I had a bit of time to kill in town this morning before a meeting, & found myself drawn into Monsoon, where there were some very enticing sale rails. As I said in an earlier post, I don't really want to buy summer clothes, I'd rather assess my wardrobe in September & prioritise anything I need for the colder months.
    But of course I had to look, so I set myself a little exercise: to choose 3 garments from the sale rail which I almost certainly would have bought using my overdraft back in the Spendy Decades. I chose a dress, a skirt & a black cardigan. Then I asked myself "What's wrong with them?" The dress was in a lovely fabric & a curvaceous style that I like BUT being honest with myself, I have 3 dresses in this style hanging up in my wardrobe which I'm not wearing very much at all at the moment because my weight is still a stone & a half up on the lowest weight I slimmed down to, & they feel too snug round my waist at the moment. The skirt was utterly gorgeous. I have 2 tops it would go with & could extend its use well into autumn, but it was far too long. I love a maxi skirt but am only a smidge over 5' 3" & so it trailed on the floor. I can turn things up but this was a stretchy fabric so difficult to do well. And the black cardi? Yes, useful. It would have gone with lots of outfits, but I already have a long black cardi, 2 other similar black over-garments & a black poncho. It would just have been duplicating what I already have.
    Back pre-LBM, I never really applied any critical thinking to my sales purchases, & as I've said before, I used to waste a lot of money on stuff from the sale rails, none of which I ever really loved, once I'd got it home & into my wardrobe. Think I will defo wait till the new season, assess what I need & just enjoy looking for that one garment I totally love. I'd rather pay full price & enjoy wearing it till it drops than buy 3 things which don't make the best use of what I've spent on them.
    And now I'm going to work off a bit of that chunky mid-section weeding our squash bed! Already done the sweetcorn. Just chatting to you while having a rest.
    Cheers all......keep it in your purse!
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jul 18, 5:23 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Well, today is all about the fabulous bargain which 'got away'......
    Popped in a charity shop & found a gorgeous 'Monsoon' top. Its gorgeousness increased still further when the member of staff came up & crossed out the price & reduced it to 2.
    Tried it on. It fitted. And it was up to the job of containing the 'Foxgloves boobs', which can be a bit of a law unto themselves. Then........"Noooooooo!!"....I spotted a rip in the sleeve. I can mend things so I assessed it for mendability, but had to decide against it. Very sheer fabric on the sleeves & I think I could have done little better than cobble it together. Only 2, so hope I don't regret it, but any mend would have been very visible so I will put that one down to a near miss & enjoy more charity shop hunting next time.
    Anyone else found any fabmongous charity shop items lately?
    Ooops, must stop & feed cat as he's just started licking my toes!
    Cheers all,
    F x
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Oh what a shame about the top,I never find anything in the charity shops I could wear but I do try to buy my books from them,we took some bits to the charity shop yesterday because DD was declutteringher room,I still need to sort the spare room so will be taking more at some point
    Just keep swimming
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    OneBrokeLady - Well, I had better luck yesterday. I popped into a charity shop just to kill a bit of time before an appointment & found another lovely top. No rips, a good fit & honestly looks like it has never been worn. 3.99. I tried it on in their weird little fitting room, so I know it looks nice with my black trousers. Am going to try it on with my favourite jeans today, so that is likely to be 2 outfits. It'd also go with a long black tube skirt, which is something I'd like for the autumn.
    All decluttering to charity shops feels good, doesn't it? I love de-cluttering & am quite 'green', so I love it when unwanted stuff can get a valid 2nd life somewhere else.
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Jul 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Sunny Debtbusters,
    Oh.....how I want some rain! We had about 5 mins of very sparse raindrops the other night & that was our lot, so boo to that!
    Anyway, time for a catch-up:
    I haven't been able to via any further money into the Loan Pay Down Fund since recently having to use a wodge of it to pay that legal bill. I have slacked off a bit on surveys, which are one of my key income streams for that fund. I had a look at where I am with them today, & did a few while I was at it. I need 3 on Onepoll for my 40 cash-out, so must really make myself sign in every day until I get there. I could cash in Prolific Academic, as when I get my outstanding payment, I shall have just over 40. I might keep going with that until next month, though I expect the surveys will decrease until the new academic year. I've got around 600 points on Ipsos. I used to like the Compliments vouchers to spend at John Lewis from that, which they no longer do, so will look at the latest selection of rewards & choose the best option for us. I'm half-way on Toluna - I have barely touched these for weeks - & I like to go for the 35 cash payment on that, so must try & shift a survey every day at least.
    As for ebay, I only have a couple of items to list, so I might wait until I have found a few more. I also have a pile of items to try on Ziffit again, with a code which I received for doing their feedback survey) for 5 IF my order comes to more than 10. I'm not sure it will yet but maybe worth a try & it would give me my spare room futon back, where everything is stashed.

So, nothing more paid into the LPDF, but have still been pretty good on the general frugal front. What's really helping now summer's here, is picking our own food from the veggie garden. Can hardly believe we've had 52 cucumbers from our 3 plants so far this summer! Thankfully I grew the mini variety. mr f is requesting them in his lunchbox every day as they are so crunchy & juicy, & hardly any calories. Today I've also picked tomatoes, rocket, basil & courgettes. The first beans will be ready tomorrow by the looks of them. The peppers are swelling, the chilli plants are smothered & 2 aubergines will need to be accomodated in our meal plans over the next couple of weeks, so that the other smaller ones have more energy to grow. The strawberries have finished for this year......the first summer I haven't bought any! So all of that effort is made worthwhile at this time of year.

And, I'm also looking towards the winter months, especially the spendy one beginning with 'D', as am currently knitting 2 more gifts for the presents box. So the motivation is there, My mid-month budget check-in went ok earlier this week. No nasty surprises. Just made sure to tell mr f that our current account is not to be accessed until new budget. I like to keep a little bit of a cushion for any small emergencies & small cushions can so easily be frittered away with a coffee & bun here, a packet of mints there, a top-up shop loaf of bread, you know how it all adds up. On Friday we'll be doing our final grocery shop of July's budget & we have all of our target spend for that intact, so I look forward to doing a good meal plan which makes the most of our fresh produce & a proper Big Girl's Sensible Shopping List!
    Hope you're all doing ok. I just want rain now........(but not while we're camping!)
    F x
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Yay to finding another top in the charity shop,I love decluttering once I get started,it's the getting started I have problems with,my spare room is meant to be being made into a room for DGS to sleep when he comes over but because he is still a baby I have got away with putting his travel cot up in my room,I do need to get this room sorted though because he is going to need it at some point
    We had a proper downpour of rain all night on Friday,it was great but it did squash my petunias in my hanging baskets a bit,they have perked up now though,you can't tell it rained now though because the sun was back the next day
    I'm looking forward to setting a new budget when I get paid on Friday,I've not spent anything I shouldn't but I've been a bit lax this month on keeping track of spends so I need to get back on it
    Just keep swimming
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 25th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I know what you mean, OBL. My Big Budget Day should be this Friday (payday), but I am out most of the day so will be tackling it on Saturday instead. I never thought back in the day that I'd turn into a willing & enthusiastic budgeter, but I can't wait to get my backside on my desk chair upstairs in Foxgloves HQ to start number crunching. We've already got 1 extra expense.....mr f went for an eye test yesterday & needs not one, but TWO new pairs of glasses!! So I've got that sort of 'end of the month wanting to get cracking' feeling. I must also remember to chase up an order I placed for a dressmaking pattern......they have taken my payment but I haven't received the pattern. Grrrrr.
    On a more positive 'crafting' note, I finished knitting a Christmas gift today & have packed it away in the presents box.
    Food supplies lasting longer too, as am back on the calorie counting & am MOTIVATED. 4lbs off last week!
    Hope all is well your end.
    F
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

354Posts Today

4,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin