Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,028Posts
    • 20,735Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 244
Page 11
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Bluegreen143 - I've always enjoyed cooking, baking & gardening, even back when I was very spendy. I make most of our bread - I usually bake a batch of half white/half wholemeal rolls each week (good for packed lunches, burgers, picnics, etc) plus a wholemeal loaf & a white sourdough loaf, depending on how much bread we're getting through.
    Re Ziffit - Yes, I was surprised at how their offers change. For example, I've just tried a whole load of CDs which have been tried on 3 previous occasions (no interest), & found about 8 of them were now wanted & one of them had moved from being a 'No' to an offer of 1.01. I think their system must run on some kind of algorithm in that if they 'see' a barcode being offered a lot, then that's going to be a very common item, worth very little. I also sold them 2 books.....one had been refused before & the other had moved from me being offered 12p (hahahaha) to an amount I was prepared to sell at. But generally, we've found that the more popular something is, the less chance there is of them buying it. mr f has been decluttering his vast DVD collection & gave me a pile of those to try. No interest in any of them, even though some were 'limited edition' or classic films. I think from a business point of view, the scarcer stuff is going to be what sells. There must be 100s of 1000s upon 1000s of the big blockbuster movies & fiction paperbacks around, which makes them pretty much worthless. My best offers have been almost 6 for an art book and also a good price on a couple of music scores - I used to sing, & had been decluttering some of my music - mr f also got a decent price for an X-box game - can't comment further on that as it's not my thing & all the games look the same to me!
    Anyway, I've traded several boxes with them over the past year....not a huge amount at a time, between 8.50 & 24 per box, but when it comes to this loan-paying-off mullarkey, we all know that every little helps!
    So if you decide to have another go, I hope you have some successful sales!
    F
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 6,154 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I've used ziffit a couple of times, good earners for me were out of date uni text books (I did a technology degree, so technology has moved on) and teacher resource books from the old national curriculum. (My degree is not one that would automatically lead anyone into teaching).

Need to have another hunt through.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 11th May 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 12,662 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Thanks foxgloves, will definitely give it a go again as I have so many bookcases groaning with books and am basically a bit of a hoarder of them would be great to make a little bit and clear some space too. No CDs or DVDs here, we are digital/streaming only. Decluttered then years and years ago but sadly before Ziffit and when I was well off so they all went to the charity shop.
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06/12/15

Debts
    CC - 2,182.17/2,182.17
    Family loan 1 - 1,680/1,680
    Family loan 2 - 3,500/5,000
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Bluegreen143 - It's defo worth a try! Every little helps & decluttering always feels good.

Well, I've felt things sliding a little this week.....not due to a loss of money saving resolve on my part, but because life has rather got in the way of my usual budget monitoring. I've just synchronised my diary for the week ahead with mr f's diary, as it's always a good start to the week if we're both singing from the same page! I've also written myself a humungous job list for tomorrow so that I can catch up & resume my preferred level of organisation & control.
    Getting our Loan Pay Down Fund increased is absolutely key, so I will be prioritising financial tasks.
    Ok Debtbusters.....anyone else up for trying for a really good week? I can't bear letting my usual high level of organisation slip, so I'm definitely in!!
    F x
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,462 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    I'm in Foxgloves! Last weeks unplanned hospital visits/drs appointments knocked me off plan and I need to get back on top of life in general
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 13th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Redrose
    Hello
    Hi I have just read your complete thread

I can tottaly understand about your flickering light blub....... mine as been like this for about 2 months, thinking I must sort out my monies, and try to cut back on wasting so much ( yes I know I do it ) but as you said in one of your posts "its nearly payday"...... I think I have had a little wake up call last week ( I get a balance text every Sunday from my back ) and it said 60 something pound "WHAT" OMG I only got paid the week before..... as luck as had it, I have a small savings account to transfer money over, just to make sure bills get paid etc.....

Well done on your budgting, your batch cooking and your will power to bring down your debts........ can i ask a question, you say you have "pots" of money that you have budgeted for, are these actual pots that you put cash in...

Thanks and good luck
    Going start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    OK, 1LuckyLady, let's go for it! This time next week, let's say that we'll both be feeling more in control. I actually started feeling better about stuff as soon as I'd written my list!
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Redrose,
    Yes, when I set our budget each month, I allow for the mortgage & all our regular bills which go out of the account by direct debit.
    Then I sort out all the different 'pots'. The first ones are groceries, travel & personal spends. I leave our grocery budget in the account (about 200 per month) & keep a tracker sheet in my bullet diary to log our grocery spending. Travel is for my partner's work. He gets it back with his expenses but needs money for parking, etc, so I give him that as 30 cash. Personal Spends pot is sort of our 'pocket money'. It's usually 60 cash each to spend on whatever we like, but once it's gone, tough!
    Then I operate 6 different 'Savings Piggies'. These are just envelopes. I withdraw the cash & pay it in each month on budget day. Our 6 Savings Piggies are Car Maintenance, Clothes, Leisure/Entertainment, Presents, Holiday & Household Maintenance. The amount I pay in each month depends on plans, how much is in there already, how much surplus money in the budget, etc. My target is 200 split between the 6 categories, but this does vary.
    I also run temporary 'pots' occasionally for specific items - i.e my partner has a big birthday coming up & so I am saving for his present because I don't want to put it on a credit card or use money from our emergency fund to pay for it.
    Hope this helps to answer your question.
    Hopefully those 'lightbulb flickers" will turn into a great big beam & you will get to embrace budgeting too! I honestly wouldn't go back to being that naughty spender even if I suddenly had a big increase in income.
    Best of luck with it,
    F
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 30,038 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I'm in Foxgloves - I have to be. There's still half a month left of my solo budget and month 1 has been difficult to be honest.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th May 18, 10:17 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Ok, CCL. We're going to kick some serious bottom with our good moneysaving ways this week. I think it's inevitable that you'll need a bit of a period of adjustment with your solo budget, but you'll get there. I'm convinced most of it comes down to planning. I looked at my admin basket earlier & it's all spilling out & there's a ball of yarn, a some pants & a stray cat biscuit on top of it, but tomorrow it will be pristene, everything dealt with & filed away. I am feeling like Mrs Motivated. I think I'm actually going to get ready for bed now, so tomorrow will cone quicker & I can crack on with my massive list.
    Have a good week, CCL & 1LL. We can do this! Us three - 10. Wimpy lists - nil !
    F xx
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 13th May 18, 11:38 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Redrose
    Thank you foxgloves...you have given me some something to think about on how I am going to tackle my financial problems and put my budgets into practice. ...

Sweet dreams
    Going start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Am up, dressed, ultra-motivated & ready to go! Job list to hand & just finishing an enormous coffee. Then I'm on it. Will report back later, but by tonight, my budget & household organisation will be back to their usual level of function.
    Right, off we go!
    F x
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 14th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Redrose
    Good Morning Foxgloves

lovely to hear you are on motivated and will be back on top on things

Because its the middle of the month, and already had to borrow out of my savings account, I feel frustrated that I can not put my budgets into practice, it took my a while to fall to sleep last night, head going round and round about money, saving and paying CC......

So if I only do one thing today its going to take my CC out of my purse

Red xx
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi red - Yes, I remember that feeling well.....I've been a shocking insomniac over much of my adult life & money worries, like any worries can really magnify at night when you're lying there, unable to sleep. As it's mid-month, it's probably worth just doing damage limitation for the rest of May, by spending as little as possible, just essentials, then when pay-day lands, that's when I always do my new monthly budget because I have got an accurate picture from online banking of what exactly is in our account once the money's gone in. Anyway, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how to budget, I just meant that as it's mid-month & you are already fretting about dipping into savings,then probably the only option at the moment is just to pull in all but essential spending & to motivate yourself for a full-on bit of lightbulb activity as payday looms!
    Good luck!
    F
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Debtbusters,
    Well, I have achieved a lot today. I've bottomed out my admin basket & cleared every single piece of paperwork in it. As in dealt with it, not just moved it to another pile. I've done my mid-month budget check-in, which is a regular thing for me around this time of the month. I get an up to date online bank statement, check what payments are still to come out, plus how much grocery budget then I reconcile what I should have from the budget I set at the end of the previous month on pay-day with what we actually have. It's been so useful. Actually, we're not all that far adrift. The only overspend has been groceries. I was surprised at that, actually, as we had a decent underspend last month, but my figures are accurate & we have 31 left for our final shop of this month, instead of the 50 we would normally have. I thought about whether just to insist on a tight week, using up everything we have, so that it comes in at 31, but I think this is unrealistic, really. I know only too well that when we set unrealistic financial targets, we tend not to meet them, which means I have to alter the budget again, plus feel like we've failed. Instead I've subbed in 19 from this month's emergency cushion (I like to leave around 100 to 150 in our current account in case of unforeseen circumstances.....it's already been useful this year for things like a wiper blade flinging itself off the car, taking Mum out for coffee to treat her, etc) as I would rather do that, than be disappointed when we're in the supermarket at the weekend trying to get everything on our list for 31.
    I've swapped some funds around to keep all our different budget pots accurate & I'm about to finish off with a big filing session, as I can't bear not to be able to find paperwork when I need it. To think during the Spendy Decades my financial filing system was a drawer where I flung my bank statements!
    I haven't been able to pay any additional money into our Loan Pay Down Fund today, but that's not unusual for mid-month in my budget cycle. There are 2 opportunities for payments hoving into view though......one will be 50 from my partner's recent Ugov cash-out & the other will be a similar amount from Paypal from all sorts of miscellaneous payments. Ziffit has paid up promptly & I have another small ebay sale too, so those bits & pieces in Paypal are building up nicely. Next survey cash-out will be Onepoll - it's slow going at the moment, but that 40 will be very useful on top of the 100 just mentioned.
    I am so organised with money these days since I became a reformed character & I really don't like the feeling when I haven't been able to devote the time to it & it feels like it's starting to get away from me. All fine now though! Everything money related dealt with. have also baked bread & done rubber chicken duties today - 4 days of meals & a lunch from that chicken, so that's got to be a saving in itself.
    OK, must crack on. Hope everyone else who needed a good start to the week has managed to get one. if not, don't beat yourself up, just start again tomorrow.
    Bye,
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 14-05-2018 at 5:17 PM.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 30,038 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You spurred me on for a good start to the week too Foxgloves. I got all of my work stuff done, and bagged a nsd, as well as swallowing a couple of frogs.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 15th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Redrose
    can I ask a question

Crazy_cat_lady - you swallowed a couple of frogs ???
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Lol - I've swallowed one too, this morning! There's a link a little further back in my diary which I think PurpleFairy provided, which explains this theory. Do read before you contact the Amphibians Protection League!
    F
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 14,616 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Well done on all the frog eating folks (no frogs were actually eaten in the making of this blog

I've eaten a few in the past couple of weeks and done a few tasks I've been procrastinating about for ages. Feels very liberating. I'm definitely feeling up and at 'em this week foxgloves thanks for getting us motivated
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,735 Thanks
    foxgloves
    You're welcome, PurpleFairy. It was good to go & open the curtains in my little HQ room this morning & not have to see that admin basket bursting over with un-tackled tasks. Have now turned my attentions to learning how to ride a bike again (will save on fuel & car parking charges) & garden jobs (will save on grocery budget if we have lits of nice homegrown fruit & veg to pick. I like it a bit cooler for digging & planting, but have still achieved a fair bit x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,738Posts Today

7,905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin