Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zoopakev
    • By zoopakev 26th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    zoopakev
    Natwest Cash Machine stole 100 quid in new fivers!
    • 26th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    Natwest Cash Machine stole 100 quid in new fivers! 26th Feb 18 at 11:43 PM
    Just wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else ?

Ive been banking at Natwest for 30+ years, not had any real problems that couldnt be sorted out until now.

I paid 400 into a cash deposit machine (Newcastle Northumberland street) and it only registered 300. I know for a fact that I paid in 100 more so pressed to eject it back out. I heard the machine count and it then gave me 300 in what looked like fresher notes. I put in 200 in new 10's and the same in new fives. When I got the money back out I was a bit taken aback as it was the last thing I expected. I checked thru the notes, 20x10 and 20x5, should of been 40. I looked through the fivers and the one thing I noticed was there was no sign of the 2 scottish fivers that I definately had. The Branch had only 1 person there but she had loads of people around her so I figured I must of somehow made a mistake, and left the missing notes at home somehow as 100 seemed such a 'round' number, so I tried again with the 300 and the notes went straight into my account as you would expect, I went home expecting to find the missing notes on the table, but alas ... nothing. I rang the bank to report it immediately and was assured the machine would be checked in the morning (they'd email them) and they would give me a call back ..... nothing. I rang them again late on and went through the same process, assured, bank email, no call back etc. So I was a bit miffed and rang again for the 3rd day running. On the 3rd call (I recorded this one as I was getting suspicious) I filled out a full complaint over the service I'd got and again reported the problem. Still got no callback next day but had been assured it would be looked into and would get a letter from the bank after an investigation. Got the letter which apologised for the customer service I got. None of the emails were apparently sent, none of the calls I made were recorded, other than the 3rd one by me. I was told no problems were found with the machine, but at the very earliest it was 4 days later they checked the machine, if at all.

It seems weird that there's no 'paper' trail of the entire thing at their side, and if I was paranoid Id be saying they're trying to cover something up. I'm 100% sure the money went in and that their machines are having problems with fivers. Any advice would be welcome or has anyone else had a similar problem at Natwest etc ?

The money isn't the biggest thing to me, being effectively made out to be a liar is ,,,,
Page 2
    • zoopakev
    • By zoopakev 1st Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    zoopakev
    can anyone clarify the 60 notes stuff?

surely the 60 I put in should be fine??
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 1st Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    There was a link provided to a NatWest help page about using in-branch deposit machines in post #10 on the previous page of the thread - that shows a 50 note per deposit limit.
    • d123
    • By d123 1st Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    can anyone clarify the 60 notes stuff?

surely the 60 I put in should be fine??
    Originally posted by zoopakev
    You should have checked.

What transactions can be carried out at a Cash & Deposit Machine (CDM)?

Pay in notes and cheques
    Pay in up to 50 notes
    https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Searchable/913254762/What-transactions-can-be-carried-out-at-a-Cash-Deposit-Machine-CDM.htm
    ====
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 2nd Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    There was a link provided to a NatWest help page about using in-branch deposit machines in post #10 on the previous page of the thread - that shows a 50 note per deposit limit.
    Originally posted by BooJewels
    I certainly never knew that although if I've ever had more than a few quid to pay in, I've preferred to pay it to a human cashier.
    • d123
    • By d123 2nd Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    I certainly never knew that although if I've ever had more than a few quid to pay in, I've preferred to pay it to a human cashier.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    I use the machines quite frequently, but realised the slot is only wide enough for a limited number of notes, I don't usually put in more than 20 notes a time when depositing.
    ====
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 2nd Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    I'd just be delighted to have enough notes to even have to worry about it!
    • zoopakev
    • By zoopakev 4th Mar 18, 1:08 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    zoopakev
    went back to the branch today to see the manager. He's going to look into it for me. Can confirm that the machines will not take more than 50 notes, they reject the extras if you put them in. This didn't happen when I put the 400 quid in. The machine I used had a problem with it today when I looked at it. I got an assistant to pay the money I had to bank today, and everything went thru fine this time after an initial rejection of some. Ive asked to manager to find a definitive time when the machine was looked at, to see if it was 3 full days after the fact. Should hear back Monday.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 4th Mar 18, 1:24 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 13,377 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    to see if it was 3 full days after the fact.
    My local Natwest branch told me a couple of months ago that they only usually "balance the tills" once a week,on a Saturday.
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=751.10 SPC8=651.04 SPC9=843.00 SPC10=872.76
    Pinecone 301,Valued Opinions 10.50

• agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 20,335 Posts
    • 16,088 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Can confirm that the machines will not take more than 50 notes, they reject the extras if you put them in. This didn't happen when I put the 400 quid in.
    I think this just reinforces the possibility that you miscounted and didn't actually have 60 notes to pay in in the first place.
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 4th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    Definitely 50 notes maximum. It does actually tell you when you go to insert them, maximum of 50 notes, I think it may even be flashing on the screen.

I put in slightly more in once, as I got my bundles mixed up and after about 5 minutes of the machine whirring away, I asked the staff to take a look.

After about 10 minutes she came back and gave me the money and said, the notes were all wrapped around the machines mechanics lol.

I've also had the machines return the notes several times over the years,for whatever reason, like notes not straight or flat enough or stuck together, but each time I've tried again, it's always been the correct amount I put in in the first place.

I'm wondering if maybe the Scottish notes have confused it.

Someone mentioned IOM notes, I was under the impression that they are only exchanged/accepted in certain banks and then only at a cashier desk, as they are not legal tender in the UK.
    Last edited by fozmcfc; 04-03-2018 at 5:35 PM.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 5th Mar 18, 2:20 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,910 Thanks
    Westie983
    Someone mentioned IOM notes, I was under the impression that they are only exchanged/accepted in certain banks and then only at a cashier desk, as they are not legal tender in the UK.
    Originally posted by fozmcfc
    This is correct, and sometimes Jersey notes are exchanged along with Scottish, and Irish notes.

Banks send these notes back as soon as the envelope are full.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • benten69
    • By benten69 5th Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    benten69
    I'm wondering if maybe the Scottish notes have confused it.
    Originally posted by fozmcfc
    Doubt it, seeing as Natwest is owned by RBS and will use the same machines as RBS with nothing more than a different coat of paint over the top. Having used them a fair few times I can guarantee the RBS ones have no issue with Scottish notes.
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,144Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin