Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ConfusedMan999
    • By ConfusedMan999 26th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 11Thanks
    ConfusedMan999
    Suspended with pay.. Will I be sacked?
    • 26th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    Suspended with pay.. Will I be sacked? 26th Feb 18 at 7:30 PM
    Recently started a new job working at a call centre. I have only been doing the job around 10 days, after 2 weeks of training.

On Friday night last week I received a call, as the call connected my computer system crashed. At this point I could hear no customer on the line. I took off my head set, put it down on my desk, and assumed I would have to restart my computer. As I was doing this I can be heard, after having to listen back to the call with my manager, saying 'F*cking computer'. Obviously not aimed at anyone, it was just uttered to myself. Little did I know a customer was still on the line, after a long while, as I am trying to restart the crashed system, I hear a customer out of nowhere say 'Hello'. I pick up my headset and reply. He says he heard swearing on the line, wants to complain and so on. I went through the call with him, eventually he asks to speak to a manger, and does.

Now at work today I have been taken into the office and spoken to by my manager and they have asked me what happened, took notes and so on. They then went on to say I am suspended without pay and a discussion about what should happen will next will have to take place and it is considered a sackable offence.

I'm less then a month into the job including training, what are the chances of me keeping my job? I am not hopeful, suspended with pay is usually the 'You are getting sacked' sign, right?
    Last edited by ConfusedMan999; 28-02-2018 at 7:15 AM.
Page 4
    • Detroit
    • By Detroit 3rd Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Detroit
    Well, I've explained why you were wrong to take issue with the person you took issue with. If you still can't understand English, that's going to have to be your problem.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    You're very amusing when you're argumentative.

Put your hands up.
    • jungle jane
    • By jungle jane 3rd Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    jungle jane
    I can't believe someone would be so petty as to raise a complaint about overhearing a swearword!

I also can't believe how petty the tone becomes on some of these threads!
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 3rd Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

You're very amusing when you're argumentative.
    Originally posted by Detroit
    You know I'm not the person you were arguing with, right?

I just corrected you because you seem to believe that saying

"there is no need to swear at work especially when its customer service orientated."

means

"there is no need to swear at work when its customer service orientated."

Anything else you want to talk about, go talk to someone else. I've helped you by pointing out your mistake and have no wish to help you any more.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 03-03-2018 at 1:40 PM.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 3rd Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Ja7188
    I can't believe someone would be so petty as to raise a complaint about overhearing a swearword!

I also can't believe how petty the tone becomes on some of these threads!
    Originally posted by jungle jane
    I suspect that the customer raised a complaint about the company's service in general, which seems to be regarded as amongst the very worst in the country, and happened to mention the OP's swearing as just one part of this.

Either way, I hope they get a warning and a slap on the wrist and no more.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 3rd Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I suspect that the customer raised a complaint about the company's service in general, which seems to be regarded as amongst the very worst in the country, and happened to mention the OP's swearing as just one part of this.

Either way, I hope they get a warning and a slap on the wrist and no more.
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    Thank you, Ja! Some perspective at last. I think the OP would be the first person to beat himself up over this. How many on here can say we have never said something we regret in a work situation? Not me, that's for sure.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ConfusedMan999
    • By ConfusedMan999 5th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ConfusedMan999
    So, a work colleague text me yesterday saying she has heard from a manager that I will be sacked on Tuesday. It was my understanding that a decision would be made on Tuesday and I would have an opportunity to explain and apologise, but it seems to be common knowledge that I am going.

Do I have any sway here, that my situation seems to be being talked about between management and staff?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 11,760 Thanks
    marliepanda
    So, a work colleague text me yesterday saying she has heard from a manager that I will be sacked on Tuesday. It was my understanding that a decision would be made on Tuesday and I would have an opportunity to explain and apologise, but it seems to be common knowledge that I am going.

Do I have any sway here, that my situation seems to be being talked about between management and staff?
    Originally posted by ConfusedMan999
    This is hearsay. Pay it no mind and plead your case on Tuesday as you would have anyway.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    Smodlet

What would you say, exactly? You began this thread thinking you were going to be sacked; it looks as if you were correct. With fewer than 2 years' employment, you have no rights even when no transgression has taken place.

Whilst it is not particularly pleasant to be talked about in the manner you describe, neither is it surprising this has happened. Management have had the week end to consider the situation; perhaps they do not need until Tuesday or perhaps they said Tuesday only to give themselves time to write the letter of dismissal and post it to you. There is no obligation on their part to consult with you, as I am sure you know. Time to move on.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ConfusedMan999
    • By ConfusedMan999 6th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ConfusedMan999
    Okay here's the update guys... I resigned. I felt I had no choice.

My union rep had said from the start that she believes I will be sacked, and that another colleague had been sacked just weeks before me for the same 'offence'. I was still in my probationary period, so they have no reservations about letting me go. I had heard from other members of staff that one manager had said I would be better of resigning and another had said that she had tried to get them to keep me on but it just wasn't possible. Plus I have three more interviews this week and it will look better, in my opinion, to say I left of my own accord for personal reasons or whatever, rather than saying I was sacked for swearing.

I feel relived that's it's done, but also there is a little bit of me that thinks 'What if?' haha
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Okay here's the update guys... I resigned. I felt I had no choice.

My union rep had said from the start that she believes I will be sacked, and that another colleague had been sacked just weeks before me for the same 'offence'. I was still in my probationary period, so they have no reservations about letting me go. I had heard from other members of staff that one manager had said I would be better of resigning and another had said that she had tried to get them to keep me on but it just wasn't possible. Plus I have three more interviews this week and it will look better, in my opinion, to say I left of my own accord for personal reasons or whatever, rather than saying I was sacked for swearing.

I feel relived that's it's done, but also there is a little bit of me that thinks 'What if?' haha

You resigned AND agreed a reference? - I guess not?

It could just as easily say: Resigned whilst under investigation for swearing at a customer'.
    • ConfusedMan999
    • By ConfusedMan999 6th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ConfusedMan999
    You resigned AND agreed a reference? - I guess not?

It could just as easily say: Resigned whilst under investigation for swearing at a customer'.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    They can't do that if I choose to resign. They can only say that I started at x date and resigned at x date. This was discussed.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 10,646 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    They can't do that if I choose to resign. They can only say that I started at x date and resigned at x date. This was discussed.
    Did your employer actually agree to giving you a start date/finish date reference and have they stated this in writing. Because if this wasn't agreed they can quite legitimately say in a reference that you resigned whilst under investigation for swearing in earshot of a customer.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Really? you have this in writing?

because there's no law backing up what you claim.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 6th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    They can do that if you choose to resign. However if they have told you the above is what they will do, you can be pretty certain that it will be the case.

Did your employer actually agree to giving you a start date/finish date reference and have they stated this in writing. Because if this wasn't agreed they can quite legitimately say in a reference that you resigned whilst under investigation for swearing in earshot of a customer.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Yeah they could but it's unlikely. Why would they lie? They don't really care. They've probably just confirmed to him that that is all they ever do for references. Why would they waste their own time writing any more? They have no reason to go out of their way to screw him over. If they had to go out of their way to help him, I would agree with you, but in this case the easiest course for them is the one he wants them to take.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 06-03-2018 at 3:29 PM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 10,646 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    They can do that if you choose to resign. However if they have told you the above is what they will do, you can be pretty certain that it will be the case.

Yeah they could but it's unlikely. Why would they lie? They don't really care. They've probably just confirmed to him that that is all they ever do for references. Why would they waste their own time writing any more? They have no reason to go out of their way to screw him over. If they had to go out of their way to help him, I would agree with you, but in this case the easiest course for them is the one he wants them to take.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I was just pointing out that unless the employer had definitely agreed on the date in/out reference, they could mention what had led to the resignation.
    • ConfusedMan999
    • By ConfusedMan999 6th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ConfusedMan999
    I'm sure I'm fine as far as the reference.

Just had another interview out of the blue. One week of searching and 5 interviews lined up. Not bad going, but with the run of luck I'm on lately I could see myself not getting any of them.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 6th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    pmduk
    Not bad going, but with the run of luck I'm on lately I could see myself not getting any of them.
    Think positive, you passed the interviews for the BT job!
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 6th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 17,189 Posts
    • 38,116 Thanks
    Masomnia
    I'm sure I'm fine as far as the reference.

Just had another interview out of the blue. One week of searching and 5 interviews lined up. Not bad going, but with the run of luck I'm on lately I could see myself not getting any of them.
    All sounds positive. I think this is a good result for you, especially if the reference will just confirm dates etc.

Take this one as a learning experience and on to bigger and better things. Good luck.
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
    • ConfusedMan999
    • By ConfusedMan999 7th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ConfusedMan999
    Annnnnd I have a new job. Thanks for all the advise guys.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Well done. Try not to get in trouble in this one, OK? When do you start?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin