Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • head_in_a_spin
    • By head_in_a_spin 25th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    head_in_a_spin
    Travel insurance for missed connections
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    Travel insurance for missed connections 25th Feb 18 at 11:50 PM
    Hi,

I know that missed connecting flights are covered by airlines if you are booked on a single ticket.
    I want to book two separate point to point flights that will be on separate tickets and thus if a delay in the first flight causes me to miss the second flight, neither airline has an obligation to arrange a new 'connecting' flight free of charge. So, i'd like to get travel insurance to cover me for such an eventuality because should such an event happen the potential cost of paying for a new connecting flight at short notice for 4 people could be astronomical.

Can anyone tell me if there are insurance companies that cover this? I have been finding it really difficult to get a straight answer from several companies for what to me is a simple scenario i.e. if i book two separate flights on two separate tickets and if the first flight is e.g. delayed or cancelled such that we miss the second one can we get cover for the cost of arranging new connecting flights? They keep literally quoting me huge sections of their terms and conditions around missed departure which is very unclear if it actually covers this scenario.

- does missed/delayed public transport include the initial flights?
    - if we missed the initial flight for a covered reason would we get cover for rearranging and paying for two new flights
    - does 'onward transportation' include new flights
    - they keep referring to first 'international journey' - does this mean if the 'connecting flight' was within the UK, its not covered?

Getting soooo fed up with all this, pleeeeeease its a really simple question....any insurers or experts out there.....just tell me outright either No, we dont cover that or Yes, if you pay X pounds to us and its not your fault that you missed your conecting flight then we will cover the cost of new flights etc.
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 26th Feb 18, 6:22 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    huckster
    • 26th Feb 18, 6:22 AM
    • 26th Feb 18, 6:22 AM
    Have a look into Travel Insurance that includes ' Independent Travellers' option. This was an Axa Insurance ( from memory) optional cover specifically designed for non standard trips, where people were booking flights with different airlines.

Not saying it will cover your specific requirements, as you will need to phone companies that offer this. I believe Axa underwrote this optional extra and that it was available on policies offered through different companies that sold Axa underwritten policies.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 26th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    huckster
    • 26th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    • 26th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    Also PJ Hayman brokers are worth speaking to about this, as if they don't offer it, they might be able to point you in the right direction.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 26th Feb 18, 7:16 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 26th Feb 18, 7:16 AM
    • 26th Feb 18, 7:16 AM
    I want to book two separate point to point flights that will be on separate tickets
    Originally posted by head_in_a_spin
    How long is between the 2 flights? which airport will you be changing in?
    Last time I flew on separate tickets I had choices of 3 hour or 8 hour 'connection' and took the 8 hour as the cost of new tickets would have been high
    • head_in_a_spin
    • By head_in_a_spin 26th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    head_in_a_spin
    • 26th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 26th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    Thanks everyone for responding...very useful leads there which i'll follow up on. I've also just come across holidayextras who specifically seem to mention 500 cover for missed connections....will check them out to see if that includes cost of new flights etc. Thanks again!!!!!!
    • stephen160
    • By stephen160 2nd Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    stephen160
    • 2nd Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    Hi
    Did you find a policy that covered your points
    steve
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin