Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,390Posts
    • 55,661Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 13/15; Ex 18/20 ; craft 8/ (69); remove 76 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell £44.20; WLOSW /10

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 18
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 7,082 Posts
    • 72,164 Thanks
    greent
    Thanks Dolly will order an oven this week, just wondering how I get rid of old one. Need it disconnected so it can be taken away(gas one). Will see if the panel under it comes off.
    Originally posted by Calling14

We've recently had a new oven.The company we ordered from had an option for disposal of the old appliance for £20 - we used that (as we had a range it was v heavy and £20 was a bargain) They also had an option for disconnection/ fitting/ removal of old appliance , which could be a possibility, perhaps? (we have dual fuel appliances so needed someone who could do both gas & elec bits)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7,082 Posts
    • 72,164 Thanks
    greent
    Spend at TEsc0 today on some lunchbox bits, some YS items and a couple of vests for baby nephew

Today I am thankful for:
    * cards from all of my children
    * leftovers for an easy meal
    * a lie in
    * a fleabay sale - unwanted item out and money in (already earmarked for OH's CC) - win:win
    * a small bit of general decluttering done - less stuff hanging around
    * bumping into old school friends last night
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 11th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 18,512 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Meal out beforehand too, portions huge though so I had leave some, was really mad with myself!
    Originally posted by sashanut
    Ask for a doggy bag next time. I'm always of the mindset that if I've paid for the meal, I'm going to use up all of it

NSD here for me today, apart from walking the pup I haven't left the house. BF went to visit MILso I just sat snugged under the blanket playing videogames. Very enjoable

• · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs 10/25 No spend today.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts. All good.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. Donation donated.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Ham, cheese & salad roll for lunch
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Done.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. *Free theatre trip *Coffee date with a couple of friends *10k race *Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 7.8 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 11th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    Hello, 6/18 NSD. Had a lovely day with family. Grateful for a handmade card, lots of hugs with my children today and everyday, DH doing some housework, getting to have a soak in the bath, my DH respecting my wishes and not getting me a 'present' and me feeling really content in that decision.

Energy supplier will be emailing our bill tomorrow - I'm hoping that we have some credit left after so we can apply for a refund and pay a bit more of the last debt.

Hope youve all had a good day x
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 11th Mar 18, 11:37 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    bizzie
    Another NSD which brings me to #8/18, the best start I've had to a monthly challenge so far.
    Quiet day in with cards, flowers and some choccies from DC.
    Groceries 220.22/300.00 Personal Spend /100.00
    NST June #25 NSD 15/15 @23/06/18
    Goals for 2018: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 11th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 26,257 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 15 checking in
    Hi all

Just popping in with a quick post as have to be up at silly o'clock as DD went to get in her car to go home, then it made funny noises & was jerking about. Called out rescue service, and of course it behaved perfectly whilst he was here. She still decided to stay here, as poor DH could take her if the car plays up. Sure enough, it did the same thing again when tested Not sure what is wrong but at least she can get to work from here one way or another. Nice day, had time in the garden, clearing a short section of the very long path that is overgrown with grass. Mean to do some daily. Also planted lots of sweet peas in the greenhouse, few seeds that I planted ages ago coming up, it has been so cold.

Hope all had a good day today, mine was nice & they cooked (well microwaved) supper so no cooking needed other than the rice to go with. Another NSD.

· For the striders: 7/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - did a fair few spends, need to update spread sheet. Still need to do this.

· Be generous ; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. Have noted down spends & will update.

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Will use PAD to pay for items through the month so no big bill surprise at the end of the month.

· Plan. Will make list of places to go - need to have it in reserve for impromptu trips out. A WIP.
    ·

Check in every day. Will do from now on
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 12th Mar 18, 5:55 AM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 26,002 Thanks
    Fmess
    Well done Kerry woman, that!!!8217;s a great achievement.

Spend day yesterday as bought ingredients for chocolate pancakes (SW) to try and curb my sweet cravings. Also paid for my meal in the evening as my sister treated my mum. Lots of rearranging in the house done. I have a spare bed but never have any guests come to stay so it!!!8217;s just in the way. Dismantled it and stacked it against the wall so I have more floor space to use and I can put it back down if anyone needs to come stay.

Back to work today although had a migraine last night and was contemplating taking a sick day as I felt so queasy but think it has subsided this morning.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 35,860 Thanks
    dolly84
    sashanut - your poor DD seems to be having a lot of problems lately.

Mother's Day came and went for me without anything different going on, I specifically ask for no cards and gifts, cards seem a bit pointless to me in general and I have more than enough of everything so didn't want a gift. DS did wish me a happy mother's day but DD didn't.

Painted DD's mirror and table for her room yesterday, we bought two tins of paint, one metallic silver and one black, we painted them both black and they look great so the more expensive silver tin will be returned.

Pouring with rain here so will be inside most of the day working but do have to go out with the dog. No plans to spend though.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 27,351 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

had a good weekend. DD (4) remembered mothers day as soon as she woke up and DH had taught DS to say I love you in German. But had to cook my own dinner, do the kids bath time, the dishes etc etc as usual. DH asked again "can I help" me thinking, no just do sth......Anyway.

Spend day yesterday as we had run out of herbs, deodorant, sponges etc. Need to spend again today as DH finished the cold cuts last night I needed for the kids this week. Also need to pay for the dance course the nursery does and the gig tickets from my boss.

Will update sig later
    Last edited by thriftylass; 12-03-2018 at 9:43 AM.
    NST June
    SFD 13/20 spends 738 (incl some from savings for festival etc)/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 12th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Oops, catching up with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday today.

Friday - NSD
    Saturday - £6.40 spend on groceries
    Sunday - NSD
    Monday - NSD (hopefully, but it's only 1000)

I also decided which items to keep from my order on Thursday, after gift cards the total including delivery is £19.50 off my personal spends card. Updated budgets:

Groceries - 63.41/200
    Diesel - 120/120
    Personal spends - 25.50/110
    NSDs - 7/18

Just realised that the last week of the month is the first week of Easter, DH is actually at home with me all week (rather than being away all week). I don't think we're going to be madly under budget with the groceries after all, even though I'm happy at the moment that I've spent 32% of the budget to cover 67% of the month so far. Still, better to have a cushion at the end of the month rather than trying to scrabble back from a higher bill in the first week I suppose.

My plan today is to take some money to pay in to the building society - if I park nearby I shan't be tempted to go elsewhere.

Not much progress on my elephants and frogs after a good start; I've started a few but not finished them including pension research (my knowledge in this area is woefully lacking, all I know is I have naff all and I'm going to spend a few years as a stay at home mum, not a great combination), and I've started knitting a large blanket square. The rest I've just thought about doing
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 12th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 19,808 Thanks
    Calling14

We've recently had a new oven.The company we ordered from had an option for disposal of the old appliance for £20 - we used that (as we had a range it was v heavy and £20 was a bargain) They also had an option for disconnection/ fitting/ removal of old appliance , which could be a possibility, perhaps? (we have dual fuel appliances so needed someone who could do both gas & elec bits)
    Originally posted by greent
    Thanks Greent got hopefully gasman coming Weds to disconnect my oven. I will order new one after then as most have next day delivery. Ao.com quote £15 for removal of the old one.

Today needed to spend needed eyeliner as I had bought normal rimnel liquid one through Amazon and just watery and makes my eyes run - no wonder it was cheaper. Feel naked without eyeliner. So went out and got a new one.

Wee spend on couple of items. Bought a salad to work and I am now so hungry

NSD 6/18
    Food 32?/100 lost receipt from Friday.
    Make up hair 6.75/50
    Going out £37.30/100
    Fuel 0/£40

Horrid wet day here. Stay dry folks x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Start 2018 £5552 NOW £2700
    EEK house repairs pushed it back up end of last yr

PAYDBX 2018 #16 £2852/£5552 DFD 12/18
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £1327/£2550

• Nicky Noo Na
    • By Nicky Noo Na 12th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    Nicky Noo Na
    Up to 8 NSD now, doing quite well I think!

Sunday was nice - DD and other children helped make some posies at church for mother's day. Given out in the service (two are currently looking lovely on my sideboard) and several leftover sent to the local nursing home. Popped to a local free community farm on the way home. DD had fun but should have brought her wellies! NSD day but only because I forgot to give a donation in at church and the farm. Will have to give extra next time!

Today my brother and his girlfriend have been round for lunch. Made simple sandwiches and snacks from stores so no extra money spent.

No plans to spend tomorrow either but won't declare it yet. Another day off with DD tomorrow and currently no plans so may be a library if wet/park if dry kind of day. Nice to chill out on a Tuesday really before the madness of work Wed-Fri.

• x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 12th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 18,512 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    DS did wish me a happy mother's day but DD didn't.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I always get my step-dad a Fathers day card, as I was 11 when him & mum get together, so he's been in my life for a while. My dad re-married just a couple of years ago, and I always forget to send my step-mom a card, as it just doesn't occur to me. She's not really been there to 'mother' me.
    Last year she put a message up on facebook, thanking my brother for getting her a card. It came across to me as a dig at me for not sending one. Sent her one this year, got a thank you text, from my Dad on her behalf "M sends her thanks, it was appreciated". Not enough to message me directly herself it would seem.
    Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Last day of holiday today, enjoying my last 25 minutes of being paid to sit around (I like to think to myself during the day 'I'm getting paid right now' )
    Took Duncan to the vets this morning, just for flea and wormer top-ups. I'm in the vets pet club, £12.50 a month, all worming, flea treatment and shots included, nothing to pay today. It's really worth it, more than covers the cost of everything.
    Then we came home for more sofa snugs & a film. Jiggled some money pots around and paid my mum a lump. Only £2000 to pay back now, halfway there.

• · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs 11/25 No spend today.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts. All good.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. Donation donated.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Leftover paella. Yummy
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Extra lump paid to mum.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. *Free theatre trip *Coffee date with a couple of friends *10k race *Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 7.8 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 12th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 4,376 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Today was an NSD.
    Got an update on PIP claim and have been award enhanced PIP Daily living and Standard mobility. Feeling very thankful.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge June No spend challenges: 10/15 House fund £250/£2000
    Grocery Budget: £18.09/£200
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 12th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Oh dear, NSDs actually 6/18 - ended up spending today. New budgets:

Groceries - 63.41/200
    Diesel - 120/120
    Personal spends - 43.90/110
    NSDs - 6/18

My PGP is so bad I cannot walk anymore without falling over (not to mention the pain and unsexy limp), I have ordered myself a pelvic support belt from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. I was trying to use my Boots points to buy one but there is a technical difficulty with the website; I can't wait any longer though so I had to pay a premium. Damn
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 7,390 Posts
    • 55,661 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today was an NSD.
    Got an update on PIP claim and have been award enhanced PIP Daily living and Standard mobility. Feeling very thankful.
    Originally posted by indigowarrior
    That is such good news. Must be a great relief.
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 13/15; Ex 18/20 ; craft 8/ (69); remove 76 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell £44.20; WLOSW /10

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 12th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 22,828 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD achieved 8/18.
    Fmess , apple muncher Thanks for the comments about the 5k.
    Grateful for:
    Doing a few bits around the flat.
    Taking my own lunch into work.
    Having time to read my book.
    Making my lunch for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 12-03-2018 at 8:07 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST June 2018 A June Odessey(Staycation) NSD 14/20
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    lauradora
    Hello everyone. Failed on the check ins over the weekend. Still feeling absolutley rubbish.

Have updated all my spreadsheets though and am still on NSD 4/15 but looking to claw some back this week??

Still in debt but happy
    DFW nerd no 844

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 12,373 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 8 yesterday.

2 school made cards from DS3 and DS4, DS3 also had bought me a packet of biscuits (???) so we shared them on the sofa.

Had to buy more flour and a few lunchbox bits today, so not a NSD, but I should be able to rack up a good few this week.

Tonight was parents' evening for DS3 and 4 so that is that over for a bit. All doing well, and no concerns. That is a graitude!

It has been cold and wet and horrid all day. So the house is 90% clean, tidy and hoovered. Will attack the other 10% tomorrow, but a lot of that is the difficult stuff.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    June 105,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • misstara
    • By misstara 12th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 19,651 Thanks
    misstara
    Sorry I haven't posted for quite a while - had a horrible cold, work is just urgh and I'm really struggling with energy levels which I'm guessing is a result of introducing gluten back into my diet however will try and post more regularly.

Now up to 6/18 NSDs , today has been one. Budgets are mostly under control although I've spent a little more on food already than I had hoped.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £0/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target £93.68/£175. NSD target 7/20.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,803Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin