Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,274Posts
    • 54,736Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST May #1; NSD 12/19 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 17
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 10th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 7,274 Posts
    • 54,736 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Consistency is not perfection. It is simply refusing to give up

Indigo Warrior and Nicky Noo na - this quote made me think of you. Hang in there x
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 10th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 27,081 Thanks
    thriftylass
    laurenh1 let your boys wear a dress. DD is a right tomboy and often wears her brother's clothes. Funny how that is OK for some but not the other way round. She's only 4 anyway. Boy in her group has an older sister and his parents let him wear hair clips etc. He's just copying an older sibling he adores like my DD. For Burns night he was clearly wearing his sisters old tartan skirt and tights not a kilt. Totally fine by me, doesn't make him less of a boy/man later.

Busy day in the kitchen today. Prepped 10 healthy lunches (3 varieties) , dinners for at least a week (not cooked the latter yet apart from a giant bolog/chili base but made the meatball mix etc for instance). Oh, and baked a bread as I forgot to get one yesterday. Love my cheap and simple spiraliser. Made some courgetti for my lunches and it is HM curly fries and HM chicken nuggets as a treat dinner for me and the kids.

The hair clippers arrived today and DS has now a proper short sides and back and less of a mummy cut .

Some other items on my to do list will wait till kids are in bed
    Last edited by thriftylass; 10-03-2018 at 5:13 PM.
    NST May
    SFD6/20 spends 294/400
    Exercise 4/15
    Debt - all 0% 1010 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 104915 (02/18) OP 0
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 12,128 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Goodness, Nicky Noo Na. What a few days!

Heavy rain here today so didn't venture out. NSD No 9.

Off to Edinburgh for a few days tomorrow. Hotel paid for already and no transport costs so not too expensive, hopefully.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 10th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    It end up being a spend day. Total £119.10
    £100 for a new phone and £10 for top up. I did have a free bluetooth speaker thrown in.
    £2.10 on groceries.
    £7 to have my phone unlocked.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 10th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 4,893 Thanks
    laurenh1
    thriftythank you , I conpletely agree.I guess fundamentally I just think live & let live & let them be who they are .
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 10th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 18,411 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Mum went home today, short but sweet visit. Then we took our cats & dog donation to the photography studio for Duncans photoshoot. I always wondered how they get the dogs to sit still and look at the camera so nicely. Turns out its treats and meowing.
    We go back next week to pick up the photo, hopefully I can be strong enough to resist buying a bigger package, but we shall see.

• · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs 9/25 No spend today.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts. All good.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. Donation donated.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about BF did the weekly shop today, so cupboards fully of tastys.
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Done.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. *Free theatre trip *Coffee date with a couple of friends *10k race *Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 11.2 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 10th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 18,411 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    thriftythank you , I conpletely agree.I guess fundamentally I just think live & let live & let them be who they are .
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    Let him enjoy himself and dress without caring about 'social norms', soon enough self consiousness and the pressures of fitting in with his mates will hit.
    But for now, let him run free
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 19,749 Thanks
    Calling14
    Indigo - hope your okay hugs on their way.

Today feel shattered.

Washed and changed bedding. Put out on line now very windy, if it says on long enough may dry a bit.
    Cleaned offices.
    Zoo with grandkids this afternoon. Took ham butties, flask and cake. Sheltered in hut with a downpour came.

Claiming a NSD and boy do I need them.

Since I took the plunge and ordered French doors one disaster after another. Ever regret ordering something?

Plumber looked at my oven yesterday part is £140 so think it would be better to get a new oven. Gutted as it's not that old about 6years old. I have submerged the flame with lasagne once and never been right since then. Priced a new oven up £300 mark for a gas one I like. May have to order next week and put on to cc. Plus fitting ??

New shower and sink taps needed £100 total cost- plus fitting ? Try and make do with baths for now .

Hoping TV keeps going bit longer as seems to have settled down a bit now staying on one channel and stopped switching itself.

Trying to find something for tea scrambled egg no oven needed !

Meal out tomorrow for dd2 bday and combined with Mother's Day. May have to pay something there.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Start 2018 £5552 NOW £3112
    EEK house repairs pushed it back up end of last yr

PAYDBX 2018 #16 £2440/£5552 DFD 12/18
    E
    Fund #9 £220/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £865/£2550

• Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 10th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day. Had to do a small food top up. Also went to a health store to use a money off coupon - got dead sea salts, which had money off it already, so all together it just cost me £1.45. Got tv mag and weekly bus pass.
    Grateful for:
    Picking up the lovely plant arrangement for my Mum's grave for Mother's Day.
    Achieving quite a few things this morning.
    Went round friend's place for a couple of hours.
    Going to have a chilled out evening.
    Getting things ready for tomorrow as I am walking 5K for a charity event in Stratford.

Hugs for those who need them.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 15/19
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 10th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 18,411 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Trying to find something for tea scrambled egg no oven needed !
    Originally posted by Calling14
    This is one of my fave recipes Griddle chicken & quinoa salad
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD. Some washing up and clearing done. can nearly see the kitchen table. Sleeping is a bit better, some multi hour chunks and some of it in the night time. Cooked baked potatoes to try to warm the kitchen enough to do more work. Baked potato for tea (wanted curry but resisted). Must plod on.

Today I am grateful for the rain (had said I would go to the cemetery if we had nice weather), for fun food from the freezer (substituting for missing items - people who said we did not need anything seem to have eaten the things I bought) and for books -apple I have the first and third book. It was the old woman behaving badly that caught my eye. I want to practice. Second one was not on the shelf but they look like a good read, need something fairly light atm.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 9/19 Food £115.63/£120 Travel £11.70/£15 Ent £3.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 10th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 25,832 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 15 checking in
    Hi all

Sorry not have signed in for so long...a combination of days not here & late back makes it hard to update. Also stuff happening in RL including DD getting snowed in on her way home after a night shift, not easy. In the end she took refuge in a petrol station & was able to get a hot drink & wait it out. By lunchtime it was passable but tricky, took everyone by surprise as it started to snow heavily from 6am & carried on through the rush hour...Plus when I went online to activate my new CC after it had been cloned, I discovered that more charges had been put on there - on the day I reported it, so I had to ring the fraud dept again. Hopefully that is the end of it, it's getting wearisome now.

Finally got refund for a faulty item, took a lot of faffing - and amount not huge - but it was the principle more than anything.

On a positive note had a nice aft/evening out & theatre visit from tickets bought as a Christmas gift. Seats were really close to the front. Meal out beforehand too, portions huge though so I had leave some, was really mad with myself! Took sweeties for the interval, but DH still got ice creams, he's a big kid.

Hugs to all those who need them going through rough times in RL, thoughts are with you.

· For the striders: 6/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - did a fair few spends, need to update spread sheet. Went to MnS & got meal deal, curry deal & lots of YS items, so need to add those in also.

· Be generous ; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. Have noted down spends & will update.

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Will use PAD to pay for items through the month so no big bill surprise at the end of the month.

· Plan. Will make list of places to go - need to have it in reserve for impromptu trips out.
    ·

Check in every day. Will do from now on
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 10th Mar 18, 11:56 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    bizzie
    Food top-up shop and errands completed in town today.
    Tomorrow should be a NSD as will delay online shopping until next week when I do my next shop.
    Groceries 210.57/300.00 Personal Spend 4.50/100.00
    NST May #22 NSD 10/19 @18/05/18
    Goals for 2018: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 11th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 25,895 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Yesterday was a spendy day but also made some money. Used my birthday voucher to pay for most of a two hour facial and massage, was soooo relaxing. Listed a few items on eBay, including a phone I had upgraded from, called and got it unlocked, listed it and someone bought it half an hour later and picked it up an hour later! They really needed one quickly and just happened to be very local to me. Did two dog walks and stuck to my SW diet all day, for a change.

Today is school work, dog walking and taking Mum out for dinner tonight. My sister is paying for Mum as she couldn!!!8217;t think of a gift and I just need to pay for myself.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 35,598 Thanks
    dolly84
    calling - it's awful when you are going through one of those phases where everything keeps going wrong. I would hate to be without my oven for as long as you have, hope you get sorted soon.

Spent more money yesterday in the end, nipped out and got furniture paint and a new light fitting for DD's room, that is the end of the spend for that room now.

Today we will be painting her mirror and a table she uses as a dressing table. DS has football and I am hoping to go cycling if the mist clears.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 11th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Hope everyone has a good mothers day.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD for me. Only spent mum's money.

Slept better - woke up naturally at 7am. Tried very hard not to doze off again (may have had five minutes). Lovely weather so checked bus times for the cemetery (had to wait for the shops to open to buy fresh and fake flowers).

Packed water and a sandwich along with 4 pots of daffodils (Mother's Day for my 2 grandmas, mum's grandma and a great aunt), 2 bunches of daffodils (birthdays for one grandma and one grandad) and 4 fake flowers (one for each grave for Easter and beyond).

Bus timetable a complete work of fiction. Fairly easy getting there. Success with 3 graves, could not find my great-grandparents' grave. I have only been shown it once. Bending down made me dizzy - had to sit and rest on a bench after each grave. Walked up and down where I thought the other grave should be plus a block either side, 3 times studying names and finally searching for the things we left at Christmas (same as on other 3).

Gave up so found someone who 'needed' the flowers (have done this before when I have been on the last minute, put them on a grave that 'needed' them. I'm not scared but have no wish to be locked in the cemetery all night). So the pot of daffodils went on the memorial for the victims of the Bedford Colliery disaster (some as young as 16 and some from the sme families) and after searching the far side of the cemetery for a grave of some ancient relatives (uncommon surname and names we still have in use in the family) I settled for a small plain grave of a Canadian private who died in 1917 aged 20.

Checked bus times on both sides of the road. Could have carried on to Manchester, the Trafford Centre or Bolton (circuitous route) but the one coming back into our bus station (and a much quicker route to Bolton) was due within a few minutes. I had a Debnums voucher which was a birthday present and intended to use my anybus ticket to spend it.

The bus did not come, 2 of the ones on the other side did and the next bus meant standing for over half an hour in the cold (I was quite warm up to then). When it eventually came I could barely climb onto the bus so decided over an hour rambling the cemetery and then waiting for the bus (tried doing leg stretches and side taps to ease the aches and pains) was quite enough so have come home.

Currently slumped on the bed on a pile of pillows (half sitting/ half lying seems to put the least stress on all the achey bits). Had to shuffle my way back across the car park and stopped to hold onto a tree half way.

I have books, water, a sandwich, games and a new to me serial to watch so I see no reason for moving further than the bathroom (may put a pillow or two under my feet). If I feel up to going downstairs I have found a pack of breaded mushrooms in the freezer and have a ys stir fry that I will drizzle with salad dressing.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers and to everyone who has looked after a child or children.

Today I am grateful for good weather (mum said I didn't need to go to the cemetery in the snow but I know she would start fretting as anniversaries got missed), glad that the visit is done (I am comfortable with going but it is taking more of an effort these days yet I get guilty if I wait too long) and for flowers. Cemetery was packed, had to queue for water and there were so many flowers of all shapes and sizes, plus balloons. Also saw some children coming out of church with daffodils . In the older parts of the cemetery (have been all over this morning) they have started to plant spring bulbs - the graves are mostly too old to have anyone left to visit them any more.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 11-03-2018 at 9:21 PM.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 9/19 Food £115.63/£120 Travel £11.70/£15 Ent £3.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 11th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today - 7/18
    Grateful for:
    Making it in time to visit my Mummy's grave and put down the plant arrangement.
    Managing to do the 5k charity walk in 47 minutes. Stayed dry and had listened to my music.
    Made lunch and had that when out.
    Having a chilled out afternoon and evening.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 15/19
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 7,274 Posts
    • 54,736 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Well done on the walk Kerry Woman.

And for every turtle today.
    018 sell

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 11th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 19,749 Thanks
    Calling14
    Thanks Dolly will order an oven this week, just wondering how I get rid of old one. Need it disconnected so it can be taken away(gas one). Will see if the panel under it comes off.

Had a lovely day spoilt by my 2 girls lovely lunch, gorgeous pressies and cards. Grandkids behaved well. My lounge looks like a popcorn storm has hit.

NSD pleased with that.

Not feeling the urge to go for a walk, think overdone walking this week. So having a lazy day well once I clear the popcorn up lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

2,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin