NST March: Marching to a different beat

Comments

• Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi turtles.

Hugs to everyone who needs one.

Laurenh hope you run of bad luck is over now.

Sashanut. Try and get a look at your leak if you can, last weekend I spent helping elderly friends whose ceiling, kitchen dining room, hall and 2 bedrooms were damaged. They put plastic pipes in new houses now and this one had been overstretched.

Today cleaned washing machine filters out, mould that starting to show on sealant around windows. Then started to clean windows really:o Thankfully came to my senses and went for a walk along the seafront. So nice to get out and then went and did a cleaning job.

My dd has put me in a weekend Fitbit challenge with her friends made me do 10k already was going out for another walk but wind is bitter outside now.

Avoided spending at all today NSD 2/18

Fmess my dd2 is a dog walker and first snow day she had 4 cancellations. She was gutted that's the risk you take being self employed I suppose.

Still no plumber available, no gas oven in use but hot pot for tea. Thanks slow cooker. Am I weird quite like challenge of finding food I can cook on hob/ slow cooker. Probably use my oven too much as it warms my kitchen - no radiator in there.

Stay warm folks we can always do an energy saving month in the spring :D
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    debtfree I too have mine at 20 but like you have 2 very young children. my boys are 1&2 (almost 3) & my eldest especially feels the cold.I guess everyone finds a comfortable level that suits. My Dad has his house so hot I can't sleep in it!!

if you are new to MSE ways I can reccomend "the money diet" by Martin Lewis for general advice & "A Girl Called Jack" for cheap recipes.

Thanks all for your well wishes- Im okay, I guess these things all come at once sometimes.It has all left me a little on edge as to what is coming next but thank God I do have a small savings pot. I swear I would rather wrestle a bear than dip into my house savings :p

Also, I need to go & sit on the naught step. but very smugly. Like my 2 year old when he found & ate his little brothers birthday cake- I will take my punishment & it was worth it :D because... I bought them Disney on Ice tickets. well, sort of. My brother bought mine & my eldests ticket for our bdays because our bdays are a week appart. little one goes free so I have only technically bought my husbands :p its currently on the credit card :eek: but I can pay for them. It is just in there for the consumer protection it offers. I will pay it in full as soon as I get my bill & have already put the money aside .

I
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Was a spend day. Only had to do a food top up. Also got a jigsaw puzzle carrier. Already have a jigsaw puzzle.
    Cancelled a social ex work colleagues get together this month as not a lot of us were able to come. Said that I would try to rearrange for June.
    Done a donation to charity.
    Grateful for:
    Having a chilled out afternoon and evening.
    Managing to do what I had to do this morning.
    Ex work colleagues were understanding as to why I cancelled.
    For doing a few bits of housework.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    I left the house at 7.15 to trudge in to work through some difficult-to-walk-in snow plus an undignified run/waddle to get the bus. And when I returned home 10 hours later, most of it had melted! I am one who adores snow and the bracing cold, but am v aware that I am fortunate to have the clothing to be able to do so.

Fmess - I picture you all snuggled on the sofa with your pets!

Today I am grateful for work not being too intense, for good chats with a colleague, for meeting dd + dh afterwards for a pizza express meal (using tosco vouchers mostly - a late bday treat for dd), for putting back the chunky wool I wanted to buy because it was chunky (the colour was not suitable, but I was very tempted), for the athletics on the telly, for a warm home, for having choices.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Thanks Lauren - will give it a read when children are in bed. D on Ice sounds amazing. They will love it! Thats it isnt it, all abt being able to budget for it and wrth using CC if youre discplined to pay it off. You made me LOL with the cake story!
    I was wanting to add the 20 degrees is just while the weather is as it is. As a rule since Jan I set a timer to come on twice a day, all radiators upstairs on low in the day and middling in the living rooms, then I turn thermostats down on all radiators in the evening except DD and DSs and it goes off around 9. Like someone else posted - there's always next month to pull back on energy. Im thankful that we have credit balance so hoping the bill wont be too steep come May.
    This afternoon I made a df crumble with the bruised apples and pears ( pre Jan I would have thrown them away), I had df irish potato cakes for tea with mushroom, egg and beans. This is something I wouldnt have eaten before but I loved it and love the fact that it was a very cheap but filling dinner.

Another NSD planned for tomo! onwards I go x
    I am now debt free:T - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]EF £1000/£1000 goal
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £2,000/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Interesting to hear the cost of running various appliances. I have a dishwasher but not a tumble drier. Sometimes the DW goes on twice a day as I do a lot of cooking, I only have a slimline model, and we have an extra person staying at the moment :eek: so this morning I did a load of washing up by hand. It will only be going on once daily at the most from now on!

Managed another NSD today, so that is 2/18 :)
    Most of the snow has disappeared here today, thank goodness, but I had no need to go out, so didn't.
  • I would love to get rid of my Tumble. Apparently' we need the tumble' (like a hole in the head) Hubby dries everything on "Uberhot" setting - so there's me freaking out cause my jeans won't fit, and wondering why they're half way up my ankles too...

I'm still trying to find a smart meter that's smart enough to work across all the suppliers and work for the customer, not tie the customer to a supplier - or be charged for the pleasure or switching.

Today was a spend day, but more so than planned.
    1. because of train strikes. (Which I completely support) I had to drive in to the Pi club, and ended up buying lunch. MEH.
    2. because Mr T was selling off their frozen stock. I had a 'bit' of a yellow sticker binge. Now have a life times supply of fish, sausage meat, and ice lollies - which for some strange reason no one wants in this weather :D Also some other bits and bobs. No more spendy now till payday.

Managed to finally FIT the tap I bought to stop the leak. It wasn't doing any good in the box it came in.:rotfl: I also re-sealed the bath. Never mind frogs and elephants, this was a full on Oliphant. Some how I'd convinced myself that it was a man's job, that it would take all day. 15 minutes later no more shower swamps. :o

Gratitudes:
    Raspberry Jam Club. - 10 years of coding and Pi meant a bit of a party atmosphere at the club today. DDs enjoyed it. It got us all out the house and is building DD1's confidence in computing (coz you know, what do mums know about anything...) its also free.

Getting stuff out. Frustrating, but not tripping up over it any more - ousted decent bedding, curtains and a scrummy coat but neither kid will wear. Learning my lesson...
    Also took a box load of chocolate and pasta to the foodbank.
    Debt Free April 2019:j to July 2019 :( NEW WTC:eek:1,194
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Calling it must be so annoying. My dog walker was lovely about it and said because of the snow slowing her travelling she would have struggled to get to everyone, plus she had her kids in tow as they were on a snow day. I!!!8217;d love to be a dog walker.

Apple it!!!8217;s quite sad but we do all lie in a pile on the sofa, I think they think I!!!8217;m one of them, even the cat comes and lies on me whilst squished between the 3 dogs. It!!!8217;s nice and warm though.

Today was SFD number 2. Walked the dogs, went to brunch and then snuggled some more. I don!!!8217;t want to go back to work!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    mothernerd wrote: »
    the taxi arriving promptly (more people using them because of the weather
    All the snow has melted here & it's just been drizzly. Everyone took the opportunity to restock essentials and it took our drivers an hour to get the the door of Tescos cos of the traffic.

Think it's caused by being too dry. Got little ramekins of water on each radiator as well (too tight to buy a humidifier!).
    We use those little pots with the beads that sit on your windowsill, from poundstretcher. Not sure what their called, but we've found them very effective. The windows used to be running with water, now they are dry.
    Hi Dolly84 thats great if it suits you but for me with a baby and a toddler living in an old house we have ours on 20 in the day and 16 at night. I refuse to leave my children cold whilst we can afford it - no judgement please. I guess we all have different allowances.
    The last couple of nights I've set our timer to pop on and off overnight as I was worried about Donna getting too cold. She's far too young to hibermate so I don't want her temperature dropping to low. She has a heat pad in her little bedroom that's on 24-7, but the air is so cold it's not doing much.
    I've been giving her nice warm baths everyother day (it helps keep them hydrated) and she seems to be doing okay.
    • · For the striders: [STRIKE]18[/STRIKE] 25 NSDs 3/25 achieved today. BF got a few supplies from Aldi, apparently most of their shelves were bare as the deliverys couldn't get through. It's his month for grocerys so a NSD for me.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts £50 skimmed off for mums fund.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. Off to the petshop tomorrow for dog food to donate.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Lunch was chicken & cheese salad.
    • · [FONT=&quot]Pay towards your debt first! Additional funds scraped togather.
      [/FONT]
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Mum down Thursday. Photo session Sat. Coffee date with a couple of friends. Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    A NSD. A quiet day. A good sleep and lots of pondering (had another mad getting rid session in the middle of the night). Someone on the 'poorlies' thread mentioned Tubthumping so just had a little boogie.

Today I am grateful for not having to be anywhere (although mum has said don't go on Monday if weather is bad - she doesn't need anything in particular AND we know the alarm works if she has an accident). Think she was tired on Friday as she had had lots of visitors - nurse, hairdresser, mummy twins with baby twins and 18mo boy and cleaner was there as she was too ill on Thursday. Quite grateful that the weekend break we were interested in was fully booked - not sure how much fun it would have been in Llandudno, Snowdonia and Angelsey even if we stayed in the coach. Grateful for easy food - dips with a head of celery and a box of mushrooms.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport