Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,280Posts
    • 54,789Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST May #1; NSD 14/19 ; Ex 17/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 12
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 27,089 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hoping for another NSD here. Have some of those rolls left that you have to finish baking yourself for the kids dinner and will later make a fresh loaf. Only have plain flour but that'll have to do. Just needs longer kneading. Was so tempted to treat myself to some chocolate after an hour in the pouring rain to school and work but the baking rather than needing to buy a loaf kept me in check.

Will do a shopping list some time today for Friday and plan my lunches/dinners for the month (or at least two weeks depending on freezer space).

Still waiting for the hair clippers I ordered. Cut DS hair yesterday with scissors again but he's getting to the age now where he wants the sides and back a lot shorter. Boys' hair cuts don't cost much but still save £6 a month or so hopefully for a while yet. Been practising for 7 years and he still likes a mummy cut (a rather good one ) rather than a stranger doing it.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 06-03-2018 at 9:44 AM.
    NST May
    SFD6/20 spends 294/400
    Exercise 4/15
    Debt - all 0% 1010 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 104915 (02/18) OP 0
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 6th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    lauradora
    Morning everyone

Checking in for the day

Second NSD yesterday out of 15.

Have updated all my spreadsheets and checked flylady so I know what cleaning im doing today on top of a bit more batch cooking

have a good day everyone

Still in debt but happy
    DFW nerd no 844

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 6th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 19,750 Thanks
    Calling14
    Happy Tuesday is that all it is? wishing my life away.

Not a lot to report resisted a buying a pork pie when I popped out for a little walk. Was a very close call. Surprising thing back in work and not hungry. Think it's all these adverts for National Pie week getting to me.

NSD now stands at 4/18 (including today)

Plumber hasn't called yet so still no oven. Starting to miss it now.
    £50 for my cleaning job received, usually put in bank but may need it for plumber.

Otherwise everything hunky dory
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Start 2018 £5552 NOW £3112
    EEK house repairs pushed it back up end of last yr

PAYDBX 2018 #16 £2440/£5552 DFD 12/18
    E
    Fund #9 £220/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £865/£2550

• BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 6th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    #18 checking in.....
    NSD 4/15
    Yesterday had to take DS to Drs (throat infection) had to pay parking as Drs carpark not safe due to snow. Had no change so had to pay £1 for 20 mins. Should be 40p!! Went to Mr S for some tempting food to get him to eat something spent another unplanned £4.90. Bit gutted as I had a letter from MBNAY saying the reward card is being changed to cash back at 0.5% payable next January! I'm gutted as in January I had the brainwave to pay for all groceries & fuel on this card and pay off in full each month and then claim the reward points in Argos vouchers and helps towards kids party presents! So that was short lived!! Anyone recommend a good reward card?
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 27,089 Thanks
    thriftylass
    #18 checking in.....
    had to pay parking as Drs carpark not safe due to snow.
    Originally posted by BadBookkeeper
    Hope your son is better. But sth like this I don't understand in this country. How can the Dr's car park not been cleared. Not necessarily by the council as they got enough to do, just anybody....janitors, the public....

Sorry rant over, in a teenage strop kinda mood today, can you tell

Also just walked out of the fitness class half way through as I couldn't take any more cheeriness and ruined my NDS with some treats. Semi healthy ones though (chickpea noodle snack and grapes). Better now...
    NST May
    SFD6/20 spends 294/400
    Exercise 4/15
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 6th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    It's only 2pm but hopefully I'm reporting NSD 3/18. Planning food shop on Thursday so I can stick to my menu plan for the weekend when hubby is home. My "make 2, store 4" practice from last weekend seems to be working, I can heat, eat and save energy throughout the week when I'm by myself

Washing all done on short, eco cycles and hung to dry, no tumbling.

Grateful for:
    - I'm going to have a warm bath later to soothe my many exercise and pregnancy induced aches and pains.
    - More antenatal appointments coming through (losing work time but at least it's reassuring!)
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 4,921 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Yay - DSs bed is being delivered as we speak- more excited about this than I should be. hope he loves it!!

My lovely friend is letting me borrow her camping chairs for our trip to save me buying any and I have text my mum asking if she has any spare single sheets I can have for my boys new bed. I bought one with the bed but I will need spares and I really need to watch the tenners here and there if I am to make my £150 last and get that EF back to £1k

Lots to be grateful for today - for the support of friends and family, for getting such quick delivery of our bed and for the life my children have. We definitely watch the pennies but you could never say they don't have anything they need.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 6th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 22,392 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day. Brought cough medicine and a plant/flower basket for my Mum's grave for Mother's Day. Did not plan getting the basket today, went in to ask about something else for my Mum's grave. Have not seen the gravestone yet, but the basket will look nice and they will last longer than flowers. Took another day off work and going to have tomorrow off as well. Still not feeling that great and feeling weak at times.
    Grateful for:
    Being able to get out to get cough medicine, also plant/flower basket for my Mum's grave.
    Staff at the florist being kind and understanding.
    Getting more rest today.
    Friend phoning me up to check up on me.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 17/19
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 6th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 12,131 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hi Turtles

Raphael – So sorry to hear that MIL results were not what you hoped for. A very difficult time for you and your family. You're in my thoughts.

Kerrywoman – Sending you hugs at what is still a very diificult time for you as well.

Well, I got up this morning ready to go and do a few things and stock up on what was running low. You've guessed it – more snow. So NSD no 6.

The boy came home from work feeling awful yesterday and was even worse this morning. I think he's had an adverse reaction to some antibiotics he was prescribed for an infected finger. GP has changed the meds so hopefully that will sort it out.

Unexpected babysitting of the little ones next door. They've just left. Lots of fun.

I've spent the day making lots of different types of soup using up all the vegetables (bendy and otherwise) and leftovers. So lots for lunch over the next wee while.

Take care, everyone.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 6th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 22,392 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Sending hugs to those who need them.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 17/19
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 6th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Hugs to everyone who needs them.
    Another no spend day. Stayed in. Will have to go food shopping tomorrow. Starting to run low on basic supplies.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 5 over here

Stripped the rest of the beds and mine looks lovely now, all freshly made up.

Bought some solid fuel for DS1s Duke of Ed trip in a fortnight, but had won amazon gift cards for doing surveys so cost £0 of real money.

Finally got remortgage sorted - not impressed with the bank, or their customer service but at the rate I got, I can live with it for 2 years.

Made Paddington cakes with my fabulous posh cake tins - chocolate with a marmalade topping. They were BRILLIANT!!! (toot toot - that was me, blowing my own trumpet )

Pasties made for lunchboxes tomorrow, I have everything I need for all lunchboxes Thursday as well, but will need a v small (£3 ) shop on Thursday for Friday and Monday's bits and bobs.

The strike is still ongoing. Next month's paycheque is going to be down a third. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Stay warm, hugs to those who need them, hugs to those who just want one, keep warm and toasty and safe.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 6th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    QQ On Friday I have court. This is to decide my families future. (I already know whats going to happen) This is going to be an unavoidable spend as have to pay for car parking. Can I class this as a no spend?
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 6th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 7,280 Posts
    • 54,789 Thanks
    apple muncher
    QQ On Friday I have court. This is to decide my families future. (I already know whats going to happen) This is going to be an unavoidable spend as have to pay for car parking. Can I class this as a no spend?
    Originally posted by indigowarrior
    Most definitely! Take care.
    NST May #1; NSD 14/19 ; Ex 17/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 6th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 18,432 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Appreciate the thoughts, thank you all I haven't seen MIL since before the diagnosis, so while I've been a bit upset, I think it will hit properly when I actually see her again.

Thinking of you all. Sounds similar to my uncle, they had the option to operate but this would have meant cracking open his chest, which was thought to be too traumatic. They admitted him several times to'stretch his oesophagus' (not medical advice) so that he could continue eating and drinking.
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    They did say they could cut out most of it and stretch her stomach up. But this would act like a gastric bypass and she wouldn't be able to eat so much. Due to her age and the recovery, they said they don't really want to put her through it.
    They did say about putting in a stent, which would widen her throat a little, so she can eat easier, but it will take about 1-2 years for the op and recovery.
    They are debating radiotherapy, and we'll hear soon whether the benefits will outweight the stress of putting her through it.

Going to reread the poorlies thread for more tips and help with not feeling guilty - thanks to the turtle who said no-one would think it was lazy to buy frozen onions but it is me who thinks it's lazy (early conditioning, I think).
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    What about chopping up an extra onion or two when you chop for a dinner, and bagging up to freeze yourself rather than buying frozen??

• · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs 5/25 No spend today.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts. Spreadsheet updated from bill DD's gone out today. Still good.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. Washing powder bought for the c&d home.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Leftovers for lunch today, almost didn't make it home for lunch due to meetings, but we got out in time. I do have an emergency can of soup in my locker for such situations.
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Done
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Mum down Thursday. Photo session Sat. Coffee date with a couple of friends. Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Last edited by x_raphael_xx; 06-03-2018 at 8:47 PM.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 11.2 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 6th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening everybody...

Hugs to you Raphael. How is your Mother in Law taking it all... You may find she just accepts it - it's often hardest for those people around.

Hugs to anyone having a difficult time with Mother's Day approaching too. My Mum is still around but has dementia and I know there may come a day when she won't remember me - so am making the most of the ones I have left.

Today = NSD number 3. Hoorah!

Looking forward to a day off tomorrow and planning to food prep and get out to the gym which is long overdue. I need to buy some food so will be a planned spend day. Catch you all tomorrow x
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £6046.13. EF = £2500/£4500
    NST : NSD=0/18 : Food & Spends=£0/£200.00
    Exercise : Joe Wicks 90 Day SSS Plan!
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 6th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 25,899 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hugs Raphael

How was the rest of your day thrifty? Hope you felt better after leaving the class.

Badbookkeeper I shop at asder and have their credit card. I think you get 1% on all purchases there, think it includes fuel and can save up your points and redeem them for asder vouchers whenever you want.

Today was spendy, butter and ice cream. My back regally hurts today, I think its just knotted because of general work and life stress. Ive just applied a deep great type cream to hopefully help ease it.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 6th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 18,432 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Hugs to you Raphael. How is your Mother in Law taking it all... You may find she just accepts it - it's often hardest for those people around.
    Originally posted by abundant1972
    Apparently shes doing okay, but she's never been the emotional type (so BF tells me).
    I think shes resigned to it.

Definately hard on BF, he's a big softie & been needing lots of hugs from the puppy.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 11.2 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 27,089 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hugs Raphael

How was the rest of your day thrifty? Hope you felt better after leaving the class.

Badbookkeeper I shop at asder and have their credit card. I think you get 1% on all purchases there, think it includes fuel and can save up your points and redeem them for asder vouchers whenever you want.

Today was spendy, butter and ice cream. My back regally hurts today, I think its just knotted because of general work and life stress. Ive just applied a deep great type cream to hopefully help ease it.
    Originally posted by Fmess
    Hugs to everybody who needs them. As I get older I struggle to deal with the increase in bad news about the health of relatives and soon ourselves. But those days are normal and will pass. Not much we can do but try to deal with it, accept it and be strong and support each other.

I was fine this afternoon thanks. Just in one of those "what's the point" phases of life sucks, is too short, etc. My DH got picked up to go for a few pints so I went on strike and didn't do the dishes or washing or anything. Why should I, what difference does it make if I leave it and rather put my feet up for a while too.

Tomorrow is a new day. My "problems" are insignificant and I'll realise that. Sorry for the vent, hope I didn't upset any one but it helped.
    NST May
    SFD6/20 spends 294/400
    Exercise 4/15
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 6th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    Hello - checking in with 4/18 NSD. Took the children out to a local free group, then almost 'popped' into the shop afterwards. We don't even need anything. Filled in a survey last night and was suprised to find out they have paid me £3! Spent tonight having a bit of a sort out. Good for you thriftylass. I do the same sometimes too. We all need times when we just stop and the washing up will still be there tomorrow - unfortunately!
    It will be a planned spend day for me tomorrow. We are travelling to my DS consultant appt. I managed to get an earlier cancellation appt so we will have breakfast at home, take a few flasks and lunch and buy ourselves a coffee for the journey home. Originally budgetted £17 brought dinner for us all but now managed to set it at £10 as we may share a cake. Off to hunt for any voucher codes/deals for costa/ Mcdonalds! X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin