Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,295Posts
    • 54,902Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST May #1; NSD 14/19 ; Ex 17/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 11
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 5th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 24,628 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD. A bit difficult as any 'wrong' movement has made me yelp and you don't know which movements are wrong until you do them. Read something in my current novel about stopping to look around before decidng where you are going. Think I need a bit of this (although part of me thinks if I slow down any more the snails will overtake me).

Just need to get back into a basic 'life is simple' mindset. Sleep, eat, breathe, walk. Get up, get washed (I have had a bath, early on and am wearing a clean nightdress - I may have clean clothes but they aren't dry), get dressed, make something to eat. The crisis (feeling overwhelmed) article I read recently started with getting dressed, working out what to eat today, putting on a load of washing (presumably so you have clean clothes/ deals with some of the mess/ making a start on the chores with little imput from self) then when you have tiime to sit down and plan for the week ahead.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

For today I am grateful for hot baths, for painkillers, for having a plan (only half a plan but I have somewhere to start).
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 10/19 Food £129.13/£120 Travel £15.20/£15 Ent £22.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • archwaysaver
    • By archwaysaver 5th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    archwaysaver
    Another NSD today - 4/18. This has been such a helpful goal. I'm sure I would have cracked and bought something from the snack machine at work if I didn't have the goal of not spending any money at all. It's making me realise how much we already have in the house too. Thank you to everyone on this thread for the solidarity and support!
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 5th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening all...

So today was an ok day but felt on a low ebb... no reason I can think of... unless I'm tired... or it's been a full moon, or lack of sun - take your pick. I had an unplanned spend - no excuses... attempt to cheer myself up which lasted about 5 minutes haha. I think I just need to learn to sit with these uncomfortable feelings or force myself to get up and do something though it's the last thing I feel like doing. GRRR.

So - STILL stuck on NSD number 2. I will not spend tomorrow... Wednesday I'll need a few food bits - then Thur/Fri no excuses to spend.

I am determined not to ruin my budget this month. My track record hasn't been great this year. On the plus I've checked in everyday I think so far (it is only March 5th mind haha) so need to keep this going and be accountable.

Right... Off for an early night so I'll see you all tomorrow!
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £6046.13. EF = £2500/£4500
    NST : NSD=0/18 : Food & Spends=£0/£200.00
    Exercise : Joe Wicks 90 Day SSS Plan!
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 5th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Spend day! Bought a few bits that I didnt really need.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 5th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    laurenh1
    hi all-

MSE keeps eating my posts grr.

not doing very well so far this month. the only place Ive "marched to" is the shops. ha. well, the online ones. Hub & I have booked to go Glamping on a farm for my little ones 3rd bday. It has come from EF which now looks very sad at £820. However hub is away a lot next month & is earning more so he will put the money back.

I need to drawer a line. no more spending. I have borrowed camping chairs to save on spends as it might be the first & last time I ever go anywhere near a camp site!

New day tomorrow
    • misstara
    • By misstara 5th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 19,317 Thanks
    misstara
    NSD today other than bus fare to work so now on 3/18. Finished work too late to pick up my car so will do that in the morning.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £804.26 (65.1% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £542.46 (32% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £36/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in May
    Exercise target - 10/16. Groceries target £170.88/£200. NSD target 12/19.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 5th Mar 18, 9:55 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 18,442 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    BF took MIL up to hospital for the scan results, it has spread down her oesophagus and into her stomach. Not much they can do. Think it's going to be mainly keeping her as comfortable as possible.

• · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs 4/25 still. Nothing spent today
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts All good still.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. BF bought some dog food to hand over on Sat.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Didn't fancy my soup, so make a quick cheese sandwich when I popped home at lunch.
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Done
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Mum down Thursday. Photo session Sat. Coffee date with a couple of friends. Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 11.2 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    BF took MIL up to hospital for the scan results,
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    Oh Bless! Massive hugs.

I am sure they will keep her as comfortable as they are able to.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 5th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    Today has been another spend day. Two unplanned items that are now in my budget. Contents insurance £65 annual fee. Used a cashback site and will get £21 back so happy about that. The second thing was for a village magazine we signed up for. It's £5 per year.
    Spent 30 mins on the phone to BT after I compared broadband packages. £13.50 saved each month. It was so easy!

Looked at my EE bill and also realised they had charged me £15 for a product I've never used...after another 15 min call they agreed to refund me this month. Adding all the savings up and will pay towards debts next month.

I found out that the nursery my children will go to from April bills for care each month...not annually and divides amount by 12. I will be adding the amounts up tomorrow and amending budget!

So many eye openers! Thanks for comments about landlords resp. Will contact them tomorrow.

Im off to bed now as all the calls ontop of daily life has given me a headache x
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 4 for me.

Went a bit list-crazy last night and just set to this morning.
    4 beds laundered and remade

Found a box of laundry that has been driving me insane wondering how DS3 ended up with only one pair of trousers. Well, when you put stuff in a box, and then put another box on top of it, you tend to lose the stuff in the bottom box. Rocket science eh?

Remortgage all sorted - they wrote to me today, well, they wrote to me and DH but his name is totally wrong, and the address is wrong too, does not bode well!

Took a load to the tip and did all the recyling while I was there. So the hall is totally clear of tat and rubbish (nobody has noticed - I have noticed, that is enough for me). Cleaned, cleared, hoovered and tidied as I went. Started at the top, am now on the ground floor, will continue tomorrow. I will get there in the end.

Finished baking pasties for the kids lunchboxes at 10pm. 6am-10pm and hardly sat down at all today, no wonder my feet hurt. Will have a cuppa and head to bed.

Night all!
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 5th Mar 18, 10:18 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 25,899 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 4 achieved today, so pleased with this so far.

Walked 13,500 steps

Off to bed now
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 5th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Sorry to hear about your MIL Raphael

Mothernerd, I saw on another thread that you were debating whether you could get away with not moving onto frozen onions to save energy in chopping them. If you're anything like me, then I expect 50% of the time they're going towards a tin of chopped tomatoes as a base for something; have you tried chopped toms that already have onion in? Mr Lidl's are 35p a tin, and are a 'cheat' food for me whilst my standing capacity is limited (but not that much of a cheat, and no extra cost)

NSD 2/18 here. Going to clear out my 'saved for later' items in my Amazon basket and watch list in eBay to remove temptation. I've eaten a few frogs the last two days, not all listed here but all in my notebook. Realised that if the groceries come in on budget, there's £50 to spare for the baby fund. If I can be ruthless and chop £50 off, then there's £100. Quite an incentive, and doesn't look impossible at the moment.

Grateful for: arranging to work from home sometimes to save driving in to the office.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 5th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Sorry to here about your MIL Rapheal
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 5th Mar 18, 11:09 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 24,628 Thanks
    mothernerd
    BF took MIL up to hospital for the scan results, it has spread down her oesophagus and into her stomach. Not much they can do. Think it's going to be mainly keeping her as comfortable as possible.

Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    Thinking of you all. Sounds similar to my uncle, they had the option to operate but this would have meant cracking open his chest, which was thought to be too traumatic. They admitted him several times to'stretch his oesophagus' (not medical advice) so that he could continue eating and drinking.

Sorry to hear about your MIL Raphael

Mothernerd, I saw on another thread that you were debating whether you could get away with not moving onto frozen onions to save energy in chopping them. If you're anything like me, then I expect 50% of the time they're going towards a tin of chopped tomatoes as a base for something; have you tried chopped toms that already have onion in? Mr Lidl's are 35p a tin, and are a 'cheat' food for me whilst my standing capacity is limited (but not that much of a cheat, and no extra cost)

Grateful for: arranging to work from home sometimes to save driving in to the office.
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    Thank you for the information. I will look into that. Lidl is quite a walk in my present condition but it's only an extra block when I go to Icyland (not even a block but they have altered the road so that I have to cross 3 sets of traffic lights). Many moons ago I used to buy the sainsbugs ones with garlic/ herbs (often same price as plain toms) which saved time and some fussing.

I am also going to try doing the chopping sitting down - since my hip replacement I do a lot of jobs sitting down (and alternate standing and sitting tasks - so I might do some washing up and when I start to ache, sit at the table to chop veg or sort plastic boxes/ matching lids).

DS3's Beloved had been using my chopping board so it was on the worktop and as I was only trying it out, I did the chopping where it was. If I try at the table the pressure will be on different parts of my arms and might be easier.

Going to reread the poorlies thread for more tips and help with not feeling guilty - thanks to the turtle who said no-one would think it was lazy to buy frozen onions but it is me who thinks it's lazy (early conditioning, I think).

Extra gratitudes for finding some gridded paper (wanted to make a giant reindeer at Christmas by scaling up an embroidery pattern to dressmaking graph paper - think it was in mum's sewing stuff and has been there for donkey's years). will do it in anticipation for this year and then I can throw the tatty little scrap of reindeer pattern. Thankful for all the products available (even if I won't use most of them) for household stuff and for crafting. Grateful for persevering with a library book that was mildly amusing but not gripping, it got better. Grateful for online renewal of library books as it meant I was not in a panic about the ones that were due back today. Also grateful for on line e magazines, it is showing me how little contant some of them have (better than paying a fiver and then they languish in the basket.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 10/19 Food £129.13/£120 Travel £15.20/£15 Ent £22.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 5th Mar 18, 11:42 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 25,881 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 15 checking in
    Hi all

All drips seems to have stopped in bathroom thank goodness. Have large ladder in way downstairs so will have to get up there sometime. Tree surgeon finally came after 3rd time of asking (was about to give up). Tree preservation order on tree so have to get permission from council first for any work to be done, so further delay.

Done a bit more clutter but not really enough, will attempt to take a few things tomorrow to CS as it's my day to work there.

Feeling a bit meh today, not sure why but did get out into front garden & do a fair bit of pruning. Pleased it was light so late.

· For the striders: 4/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - Still no spends, but will do a small shop tomorrow

· Be generous ; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. No food spends this month so far, or visits to shops although have spent online, so noted that.

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Will use PAD to pay for items through the month so no big bill surprise at the end of the month. Made PAD yesterday & will today.

· Plan. Have not made list but will out Friday to show tickets were a gift. Also have afternoon tea tickets but DH says will make another trip so 2 days out. DDs boiler being replaced on Wednesday so will have to see to that, repayment plan to be finalised. Visit tomorrow to look at potential new kitty.

· Check in every day. Will do
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 5th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in#5/31 and NSD#5/18.
    A busy day but no spending.
    Planning on venturing out to shops tomorrow with a list and sticking to it.

Thoughts to those with difficult situations in their lives.
    Groceries 240.32/300.00 Personal Spend 4.50/100.00
    NST May #22 NSD 13/19 @22/05/18
    Goals for 2018: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 6th Mar 18, 2:12 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    So sorry to hear about your MIL Raphael. Sending you a hug xc
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Mar 18, 6:59 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Raphael sorry to hear about your MIL. thinking of you all.

Today is NSD #2. I can still make 18 but only if Im super organised!!

Budgets £820 EF
    £700 Paris
    £60 Fuel
    £150 spends

The big push is to get EF back up to £1000 pretty sharpish. Might look to sell a few things on Ebay tomorrow night.
    Hub & I are also going to do any over time we can.

Need to go reduced shopping will go wed I think & try for more next week.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 6th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 5,004 Posts
    • 39,461 Thanks
    DawnW
    Raphael, so sorry to hear about your mother in law's illness
    Mothernerd, it is by no means lazy to buy frozen onions. Nobody thinks it is lazy to buy frozen veg, it is often cost effective, especially if cooking for one, and there is no waste involved as they don't go off.

Other supermarkets do the tins of tomatoes with onion too, I think Sainsburys do - I will have a look later in the week when I make it in there!

Very busy spendy week dealing with an issue / helping out a relative, which has been going on since Christmas Hoping this week will see a resolution to it, and I can start to rebuild depleted savings (and he stands on his own two feet). I ought to be helping my kids out, not someone of my own generation who has gone through life making bad choices and expecting others to pick up after him

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,628 Thanks
    dolly84
    The snow has all gone here now and normal service has been resumed, it is raining as per.

Work today, dog walk, visit mum, run and school run.

Baked bread rolls yesterday for school lunch boxes, they will see me into next week now as kids are having 2 school lunches this week, they normally have 1 on a Friday so they are having last Friday's this week too, isn't it mad that a school lunch is a treat, there is no way we could afford them everyday.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin