Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,287Posts
    • 54,858Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST May #1; NSD 14/19 ; Ex 17/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 10
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 4th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening everyone!

So, yesterday was a planned spend day as out with the parents. They bought lunch and coffees so I bought us some cakes as my contribution. Extortionate - yes... but they look forward to it a day out.

Also had my first night out (also planned) last night in a bid to try and make friends in Manchester. A work colleague said she knew a lot of gay guys too so we hit town. Boy have things changed!!! I over compensated by buying 3 rounds and I was the only one not drinking lol) so the entire night cost me £45 and £6.50 parking!!! That's a whole week's spends gone in one night!!! I'm both mad at myself - but also glad I actually went out as would have been too easy not to even try. I've turned into a recluse.

Reflection: Not the best way for me to make friends. People were off their faces and pretentious?!?! Oh god. Don't get me started. I know in my younger days I could have blown through nearly twice that... I loved a good dance (that counts as my HIIT workout lol) but need to find my own 'pack' of people to run with... So - next up - I'm going to look into social groups...

So budgets adjusted, all my chores done ready for work. Diet still very much on track - wasn't even tempted by a greasy takeaway post clubbing! Onwards and upwards...

As I was technically out in the early hours of today... I won't count today as a NSD. Darn! Next time buy rounds pre-midnight haha! So... still stuck on 2.

Great to hear about all the energy and money saving hints. The one plus to living in rented accommodation is someone else worries about that... but - the time will come soon I hope, when I have my own place and all this will be invaluable.

Enjoy your evening folks.. x
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £6046.13. EF = £2500/£4500
    NST : NSD=0/18 : Food & Spends=£0/£200.00
    Exercise : Joe Wicks 90 Day SSS Plan!
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 4th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 24,625 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD. Not been anywhere, not done anything (except talk myself back from the brink) have been fretting about needed changes. I will need to bring forward the updated kitchen, rethink my garden plans and don't know how long I am going to be able to get in and out of the bath. was also worried about my business (make very little but other employment options are severly limited so if I can just keep going until retirement).

Had something come to me whilst asleep (when I used to have multiple problems, I would tuck one or two to the back of my mind until I had time to deal with them - very often solutions would appear from some part of my brain turning them over without my active participation). Will widen the scope of my business and vary the crafts I do (have done very little embroidery since Christmas - must have been hurting but was not acknowledging it). There are lots of things I can do and at the Church based craft fair (was actually a Christmas Tree festival) lots of stalls ahd small amounts of different hand crafted items even when one predominated. Can also reel back on trying to expand/ find new markets as I am not sure about my future productivity.

As for the 'house' stuff and all the other changes (ranging from keeping my hair no longer than ear length to needing a smaller, lighter laptop when this one needs replacing), it can all be done in time. I don't need to do everything now (couldn't afford it anyway). Need time to assess what needs to change anyway - thinking about having several sets of pan drawers to hold kitchen items as it's easier to sort and 'display' things in categories and they are easier to use than bending and dipping into cupboards. Also thinking about using them to make a platform for the bed (more storage in less space and should be easy enough to get on and off the bed). I had my great-grandfather's old bed when I first moved here and love high beds. Could manage with one step up/ down thing if I had to.

So stopped myself worrying which may not sound like much but any contributions to ease of mind/ better sleep are welcome.

Today I am grateful for easy food from stocks, reducing the recycling and washing up mountains (washing went down but is growing again) and having some ideas to use the cardboard box mountain.

I have heard people on other threads complaining of 'cabin fever' and lack of things to do. It never even crossed my mind, but as many of you know I am a keen advocate of hibernation.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 04-03-2018 at 8:22 PM.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 10/19 Food £129.13/£120 Travel £15.20/£15 Ent £22.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 54,858 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today, I did my weekly shop and picked up my prescriptions. As these are budget line items, I think that makes this a NSD.

2/18

Keep going everyone! Long road ahead but we can do it!
    Originally posted by debtfreeby2020
    Prescriptions are medical and therefore exempt but weekly shop is a spend (even if in budget) and therefore it's not a NSD, I believe. x
    Originally posted by greent
    Greent is correct. Unless all of your food shop was reduced items (not simply budget items or budgetted for items) then it counts as a spend day.
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 4th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    3rd NSD! Still not going out in this weather. I think Wednesday will be my 2 spend day of the month.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 4th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    Hi Dolly84 as said we have to replace the alarm with the same one that landlords fitted as its a fire angel one that fits onto the ceiling. Its supposed to be 10 year life and you can "just replace the battery". Thanks for the thought though
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 4th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    *cant replace the battery as its built in x
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 4th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 18,441 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Smoke alarm started beeping so we've just spent £16.99 ( landlord fitted them so we have to replace with same one, 10 year life on it so fingers crossed we wont have to spend on this again)
    Originally posted by Debtfreewannabme
    Shouldn't the landlord pay to replace? As by law he is responsible for ensuring the property is up to firesafe regs etc?

• · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs 3/25 still. £14.39 spent today on hay, sawdust and a fake plant for the tortoise.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts All good still.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Chicken, cheese & spinach toastie when we got home from our shop.
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Done
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Mum down Thursday. Photo session Sat. Coffee date with a couple of friends. Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 11.2 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 4th Mar 18, 11:45 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 25,876 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 15 checking in

Hi all

Got new bigger ladder in to see to leak but so far haven't been up it as drip has stopped & not restarted. Plus day was very gloomy & would be difficult to see anything. Still plan to go up to loft & examine, job for tomorrow.

Also realised very stupid beating self up over clutter etc, but not doing anything very much about it, no one else is going to bother. Made a start by doing an hour or so today, will need to make it into a habit, but do-able.

· For the striders: 3/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - DH sent up spreadsheet so all set - last time I did this was 3 years ago...have not made any food spends so far this month.

· Be generous ; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. No food spends this month so far, or visits to shops although have spent online, so noted that.

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Will use PAD to pay for items through the month so no big bill surprise at the end of the month.

· Plan. DSH just said to me out of the blue, where do I want to go, make a list (!) we will do it...he must have been taking the happy pills!!

· Check in every day. Will do
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 4th Mar 18, 11:57 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in #4/31 and NSD #4/18.
    Another quiet day, got things ready for a busy day tomorrow.
    I like a boring life at the moment.
    Groceries 240.32/300.00 Personal Spend 4.50/100.00
    NST May #22 NSD 13/19 @22/05/18
    Goals for 2018: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 5th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 27,089 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Gosh, just dug myself out of this large pile of snow and have missed over 5 pages!!!!

The schools are finally back on (luckily my work gave me 2 snow days last week as hubby would have to have taken annual leave). The snow started to melt but is back on now heavily, was meant to be rain. Can't believe the school didn't clear the access road or the access to the parent car park this morning (down 45 degree road). They just rely on the council, all it would have taken is two teachers with a shovel or ask around parents the night before).

Spending was low as expected in this weather. Just did the weekly shop on Saturday.

My birthday party had to be cancelled as many people and babysitters couldn't make it. Luckily I was able too reschedule without financial loss. Other spends on Saturday were some presents for DD and the deposit for her party. So 3 NSDs so far.

Quite funny that UHT doesn't count as milk apparently. Went to Aldi and there was a big sign at the door NO MILK IN THIS SHOP. 25 yards later I walk past the massive stack of 1l UHT milk cartons??? This weather has also got me baking again. Made rolls and bread.

Got my lunch to work and booked 4 exercise classes this week.

Happy Monday
    Last edited by thriftylass; 05-03-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    NST May
    SFD6/20 spends 294/400
    Exercise 4/15
    Debt - all 0% 1010 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 104915 (02/18) OP 0
    • archwaysaver
    • By archwaysaver 5th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    archwaysaver
    Another NSD yesterday - went over to a friend's to watch a film and brought a bottle of wine and baked flatbreads and made hummus out of some chickpeas we had in the cabinet instead of buying anything from a shop. Now need to replace bread flour but it's much cheaper than pre-made bread!
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 5th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 19,750 Thanks
    Calling14
    Another NSD yesterday - went over to a friend's to watch a film and brought a bottle of wine and baked flatbreads and made hummus out of some chickpeas we had in the cabinet instead of buying anything from a shop. Now need to replace bread flour but it's much cheaper than pre-made bread!
    Originally posted by archwaysaver
    Sounds lovely never made flatbreads I want to try
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Start 2018 £5552 NOW £3112
    EEK house repairs pushed it back up end of last yr

PAYDBX 2018 #16 £2440/£5552 DFD 12/18
    E
    Fund #9 £220/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £865/£2550

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 5th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 19,750 Thanks
    Calling14
    Morning freezing in this office today.

Hope everyone is still upbeat and survived the beast from the east.

Thinks looking up today.

Plumber may come and look at my oven tomorrow.

My electric shower which kept dripping after turned it off yesterday, then went to much heavier drips by the evening. However after a shower this am stopped dripping. Was trying to find an isolation valve last night to turn it off but it must be in loft, under my insulation which is double what was needed I put all the leftover roll down. Didn't fancy jumping up there off a ladder yesterday after a couple of glasses of wine. Hoping it stays off and I don't need a new shower.

Appointment made with Dr's for anaemia, have to cancel my hair appt though only time they could fit me in.

Bag (half full) and picture left out for charity collection today. Starting my de-cluttering month.

Took all my used batteries to Lidlee.

Yesterday ended up paying for lunch out. To be fair bf always pays and was throwing money at me but just felt bit better paying my way for a change. Plus saved money by not going to Manchester for my gig last week.

Abundant - Hope you find a better way to socialize. Had to laugh yesterday bf bit of a loner, extremely shy with new people, came up with that I am probably the only normal person he talks toI actually find that quite disturbing. There is a lot of lonely people about.

Budgets

SFD 3/18 including today.
    Food £20/£100
    Going out £33/£100
    Petrol 0/£40
    House repairs 0/£100 - newly added for cooker/ new taps?/ washing machine problems- under estimated I think but will try and make do with some until April.
    Hair/ make up £0/£50
    Bdays £0/£60
    Fitness - won the weekend fitbit challenge with my dd and her friends. Fit old bird

Onwards and upwards off to update my debt totals.

E
    Fund #9 £220/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £865/£2550

• archwaysaver
    • By archwaysaver 5th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    archwaysaver
    Sounds lovely never made flatbreads I want to try
    Originally posted by Calling14
    It was really easy! I used a recipe but it's basically: packet of instant yeast, around 450g bread flour, teaspoon of sugar, teaspoon of salt, splash of olive oil, maybe a cup? of warm water. Mix, knead, cover and let rise for an hour, separate into 8 balls, roll out and fry on a very hot pan. The pan is the important part as it gives the bread nice bubbles. I'd never made them that way before and they were tasty!
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 5th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 19,750 Thanks
    Calling14
    Thanks archwaysaver tummy is rumbling away here. Will have to give it a go. Get ingredients on my next spendy day ;-)

E
    Fund #9 £220/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £865/£2550

• lauradora
    • By lauradora 5th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    lauradora
    Had my first NSD yesterday and hoping for another one today...just got to trust hubby whilst he is at work

Checked all spreadsheets this morning, all good.

First day of mat leave today, feet up and telly on

Still in debt but happy
    DFW nerd no 844

• greent
    • By greent 5th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    greent
    Day 5 Check In :)
    Worked extra hours today - received a text at 7.20am to say someone was poorly and could I work extra . As I was there all day I had lunch provided - and will have more money in pay at end of month
    • · for the plodders: 15 NSDs 3/15 so far... Another one today
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts
      * Food - 67.27/420 -
      * Fuel (me) 0/65
      * School 0/25
      * Social 0/50
      * Clothes 0/75
      * Gifts 0/75 (includes Mothering Sunday and several bdays and maybe some prep for DS1's bday in April)
      * Toiletries 3.98/10
    • · Be generous !!! Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. - monthly DD. Will also donate to foodbank/ animal foodbank collection at supermarket
    • · Pay towards your debt first! . 'General' CCs always paid off in full. Car and min pyments to 0% CCs paid by DD. Extra monies then go to OH's 0% CC - £65 extra so far

Today I am thankful for:
    * extra hours - although not for colleague being ill
    * lovely colleagues
    * OH doing school runs, enabling last minute extra hours
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 5th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 12,133 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hi Turtles

The snow has almost gone now but I still haven't gone out so NSD No 5 (this is unheard of)

I've spent the day planning a holiday next January/February and reserving hotels but haven't paid for anything yet. Really must get myself in gear to sort this house out!

Loads of curry left from last night so that's dinner for the three of us sorted.

The washing experiment certainly worked. Most things didn't really need ironed and it must have taken me all of 10 minutes to do which did.

Debtfree - I would have thought your landlord should replace the smoke alarm too.

Hope you're all nice and warm.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 5th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 22,416 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today 3/18
    Not feeling to great, so was off work today. Told the agency I would not be going in tomorrow either. Chesty and felt weak. Coughing throughout the day.
    Just took it very easy today. Took painkillers, steamed and put root ginger into hot water.
    The people doing my Mum's gravestone phoned today saying if I paid off the balance over the phone they can put the gravestone in tomorrow afternoon as they are going to be there tomorrow. Already received the paper copy of the invoice today as well. Am not counting that as a spend as I am using the money my Mum left me. I am sure that my Mum helped me out today with the phone call and not going out to post the cheque off. I know this may seem strange to people, but it means something to me.
    Grateful for:
    Rest I got today.
    Getting the gravestone sorting. Got it done before Mother's Day and St Patrick's Day.
    My friend's result from the hospital saying it is something else(which is treatable with antibiotics) and not the C word.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 18/19
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 54,858 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dry weather, for speedy buses, for cheerful colleagues, for finding 6p roadkill, for a good book, for yummy food, for getting things done at work, for dd finishing 2 pieces of homework, for dd's love of reading, for plenty of walking.

Kerry woman - take care. Glad your friend can be treated with antibios.
    018 sell

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin