Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ross39
    • By Ross39 25th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ross39
    Finance agreement - VT
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    Finance agreement - VT 25th Feb 18 at 9:28 AM
    HI,

My fiance and I have a BMW that's on finance through MotoNova.

We purchased the car back in September 2015. Since then, things have drastically changed money wise (my fiance is now earning significantly less than she was).

We are not behind on payments, but I know in a few months time if her pay doesn't pickup it will be getting close.

Because of this, and because we do not need a car like that, I want to VT the car before we get into a situation we can't get out of.

The full agreement, including interest was - 27,616.23, with monthly payments of 398.67.

We payed a deposit of - 3,695.03

According to our agreement,
    "You have the right to end this agreement. To do so, you should write to the person you make your payments to. They will then be entitled to the return of the Vehicle and half the total amount payable under this agreement, that is 13,808.12. If you have already paid at least this amount plus any overdue instalments and have taken reasonable care of the vehicle, you will not have to pay any more."

Looking online our current balance is - 12,760.27, so we have paid 14,855.96.

The thing I'm unsure on before I start the VT procedure, is whether or not they take the deposit into account as part of the amount paid? If they do, I can start now if not, I know I should wait a few more months.

I know VTing will never be straight forward, but the easier I can make it for us, the better.

thanks.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 25th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 25th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    Best place to start would be your documentation. Have a read through that and it should inform you, however, on other, similar threads on here, I have read that the figures are based on deposit paid plus monthly payments.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 25th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 11,220 Posts
    • 8,035 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    Can we please use the search facility (and read your agreement)!

There seems to be a new PCP/VT thread every day covering pretty much the same information. FYI your deposit is included in the total amount payable, which will be clearly highlighted in your documentation.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 25-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 25th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    If you are on HP, VT'ing shouldnt be a problem.

If you are on PCP (it doesnt appear that you are as you have not mentioned any GFV or baloon) you may want to read up more on mileage limits.
    • Ross39
    • By Ross39 25th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ross39
    • 25th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    I did do a search, but with the amount of topics and different questions and answers, i wasnt 100% sure i was grtting the answer i needed.

Yes it is a HP contraxt and not PCP.

But thank you for clearing it up. I feel more confident going forward now.

Ive been through the agreement, and it doesnt state anywhere (or at least i cant see anything or its not clear) that the deposit is part of the repayment.

I know its an obvious answer, but i wanted to be sure before writing to them.

The only thing i am aware is the contract states a yearly mileage, and we are over the mileage by 15000 miles. So ive got that letter to look forward to. (I am aware that legally they cant enforce it, but will try).
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 25th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 11,220 Posts
    • 8,035 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 25th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    Your agreement should state something like Total Amount Payable including advance payment (eg deposit). In fact you've already given us that figure of 27,616.23 and the 50% figure of 13,808.12. Deducting your deposit then you will need to have made payments of 10113.09 before you can VT.

Are you sure it's a standard HP, you don't usually have to specify a mileage, be aware that agreements for PCP will also be headed as a Hire Purchase agreement. Do you have an optional balloon payment or GFV specified in the agreement?
    • Ross39
    • By Ross39 25th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ross39
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    Neil,

In the 'key features of the credit product ' section, it states 'type of credit: vehicle hire purchase agreement'.

And also

'The total amount you will have to pay - 27,616.23

Made up of

Deposit - 3695.03
    Part exchange - 0
    Total amount of credit 17.842.96
    Admin fee part a - 0
    Admin fee part b - 0
    Interest - 6077.24
    Option to purchase fee - 1'

The cash price of the car was - 21537.99

Was just about to post when i closed the agreement and noticed on the front, in the pre contract section.

'What you are due to pay us
    Your payments under the HP agreement and personal loan for the financed insurance products and services/accessories will be a deposit of 3695.03 followed by 59 monthly payments of 398.67...'
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 25th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 11,220 Posts
    • 8,035 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 25th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    That sounds like a full on HP, I'm surprised you have a mileage allowance attached in that case.
    • Ross39
    • By Ross39 25th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ross39
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    In the t&cs
    '7.Your right to end this agreement

7.1.5 pay to us an amount of 6(six) pence per mile for every mile you have driven the vehicle over 12000 miles per year since the agreement commenced'

Barstewards!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 26th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Ectophile
    VT is a legal right under the Consumer Credit Act. What it says in their T&C's is irrelevant.

You don't have to fill out their forms.

At the moment, there is a total lack of legal case law as to whether or not you actually have to pay the excess mileage after a VT. Nobody seems to want to take it to court to get a definitive answer.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • sharonjones
    • By sharonjones 17th May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sharonjones
    Voluntary Termination
    Help!!! I have a HP agreement 2 years paid out of 3, the cars engine has blown, HP company own the car but are not interested they say they believe the problem would not have been present at point of sale, I say it must have been a developing problem, they say send evidence of the problem? I was given no evidence it was in full working order when I took it from the garage? I have sent them notification to Terminate but there reply is to go through the FO. The car itself will cost more to repair than what is left on the agreement. Can I still terminate and fight for any charges they may say I owe? they have been aware of this problem since March
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 17th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    debtdebt
    How do you expect to argue that a problem that developed two years into ownership was there at the start? It probably wasn't. You're on your own.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 16,911 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy
    Help!!! I have a HP agreement 2 years paid out of 3, the cars engine has blown, HP company own the car but are not interested they say they believe the problem would not have been present at point of sale, I say it must have been a developing problem, they say send evidence of the problem? I was given no evidence it was in full working order when I took it from the garage? I have sent them notification to Terminate but there reply is to go through the FO. The car itself will cost more to repair than what is left on the agreement. Can I still terminate and fight for any charges they may say I owe? they have been aware of this problem since March
    Originally posted by sharonjones
    As you've driven the car for 2 years that would suggest the fault was not there at the time of sale.

What was the cause of the problem?

What is the car?

How old is the car?

What mileage is on it?

Have you a full manufacturers service history?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • sharonjones
    • By sharonjones 23rd May 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sharonjones
    Car Trouble
    Hi
    Car is a Peugeot 207 Verve, Head Gasket has been diagnosed as problem engine wont turn at all,Car is a 98 plate with 64000 miles on the clock, Garage where it was towed to have said this is a common problem with this particular car, An MOT was carried out on the car the first year I had it and it was due for a service and MOT the week after it broke down, I believe there are some service history's in the cars log book.My contract states the car does not belong to me until the final payment has been made, would it be the case as the HP company own the car for them to take up with the garage that sold the car? Had I made a cash sale for a car I appreciate the problem would then be mine but they have said to me I do not own the car. I have a car on a 3 year agreement which isn't of satisfactory condition, I have sent the HP company a 14 day termination letter as I have adhered to my payments set out in the contract under termination my rights and have already paid in excess of the 50% it states in order to Terminate the contract and I am now awaiting them to contact me to arrange collection of their vehicle. They have been aware now for 8 weeks that the car is undriveable and cant be taken to an alternative garage for a second opinion, I am currently still paying out Insurance for the car, renewed the Tax, and am paying out for taxis to get to work I have been offered no resolution from them with the issues I have,
    • facade
    • By facade 23rd May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 3,236 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    facade
    The car has to be in good condition to VT it.
    You can terminate the agreement by paying what is left from your loan.
    Otherwise you still owe them the balance between what the car is worth now and what is left of the loan.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 23rd May 18, 3:59 PM
    • 2,186 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    Hi
    Car is a Peugeot 207 Verve, Head Gasket has been diagnosed as problem engine wont turn at all,Car is a 98 plate with 64000 miles on the clock,
    Originally posted by sharonjones
    Its a 20 year old car - you will have to repair it or sell as it is.....or do you mean 2008, answer is still the same.

Good lucks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,513Posts Today

8,948Users online

Martin's Twitter