Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 25th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 723Posts
    • 1,010Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Liability whilst charging Electric Car??
    • 25th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    Liability whilst charging Electric Car?? 25th Feb 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Folks.

My random thought for the day whilst out for my morning contitutional...There's an Electric/Hybrid car in our village that's charged from their house, with a cable running across the public footpath. They have placed a rubber cable "tidy" over the cable to hopefully avoid anyone tripping over it. However if someone did, and the owner was held liable for any injury, which policy would pay/deal with the claim??

Household or Motor???

I'm thinking that the charging cable is an accessory of the vehicle, therefore it would be a claim against their Motor Insurance....but of course this would then effect their NCD.

There again, the cable is running from the house's electric supply, as would say a lawn-mower, so could there be an argument that it should be the Household insurers that deal??

If it is the Motor Ins, I can see this becoming a bigger problem, the more EV's there are on the road, with charging cables everywhere, and everyone losing their NCD as people keep tripping over them.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 25th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 5,345 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    Motor. Itís a liability in connection with the use of the car.

Why worry about careless people losing their ncd.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 25th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 6,336 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    Car insurance policies don't really cover "any risk related to a car" and home insurance policies don't really cover "any risk related to the home" - they each cover specific risks.

If you read through a car insurance policy I don't think you'd find it mentions any relevant risks.

However, most home insurance policies cover Public Liability risk. That would include injury claims made against a home owner arising from their ownership of the home.

So the home owner could try making a claim on their home insurance on that basis. I don't know if it would succeed.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 25th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 5,345 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    Car insurance policies don't really cover "any risk related to a car" and home insurance policies don't really cover "any risk related to the home" - they each cover specific risks.

If you read through a car insurance policy I don't think you'd find it mentions any relevant risks.

However, most home insurance policies cover Public Liability risk. That would include injury claims made against a home owner arising from their ownership of the home.

So the home owner could try making a claim on their home insurance on that basis. I don't know if it would succeed.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Home insurance will exclude liability in connection with owning or using a vehicle.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 25th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 25th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    If personal injury claims spike because of this, then we'll all (motorists) end up paying for it, not just 'careless' car owners.

As the powers that be want to encourage EV's, then our paths will become an obstacle course of tripwires.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 25th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 5,345 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 25th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    If personal injury claims spike because of this, then we'll all (motorists) end up paying for it, not just 'careless' car owners.

As the powers that be want to encourage EV's, then our paths will become an obstacle course of tripwires.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    I know of one motor insurer that already factors this type of risk into their pricing. Hopeful most people with EVs donít trail cables across pavements though
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 25th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    In the future though, what proportion of properties actually have private off road parking, if we're all supposed to convert to electric (eventually).
    • rs65
    • By rs65 25th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 5,345 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 25th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    In the future though, what proportion of properties actually have private off road parking, if we're all supposed to convert to electric (eventually).
    Kerbside chargers like a lot of cities have?

Charge at work, car parks etc. Still a risk of people tripping over charging cables anywhere.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 25th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    Wireless charging will probably be efficient enough by that point to make cables unnecessary
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 26th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    Home insurance will exclude liability in connection with owning or using a vehicle.
    Originally posted by rs65
    House insurance usually includes the garage?
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 2nd Mar 18, 11:59 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mojo1
    Side note. There are millions of pounds available to councils to install on road charging in cases like this. Most people don't know about it. They could ask if the council will install a charger by the curb for them.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 4th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 5,345 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    House insurance usually includes the garage?
    Originally posted by Clifford_Pope
    Thatís got nothing to do with the liability cover.
    • DevilsAdvocate1
    • By DevilsAdvocate1 5th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 3,027 Thanks
    DevilsAdvocate1
    I have an electric car and was told when I bought it that you should not buy one if you don't have off road parking. They said that you were not allowed to put cables over the pavement - so I think they may be breaking the law by causing a hazard.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 7th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    What idiot buys an electric car if they haven't got a drive or garage!? I would personally report him to the council for causing an obstruction on the pavement. Might sound harsh to some who think we should mind our own business but would you say the same if your granny tripped and smashed her hip and then was housebound?
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 7th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Better tell the government then...what was their big plan, no petrol/diesel cars by 2040!!
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 8th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    What proportion of households have off-road parking? It's apparently only 1/3 in London.

So therefore presumably all this hype about EVs and the future is not intended for the majority of the population, so the revolution will grind to a halt unless:

a) There will be charge points along every suburban road. As trailing cables along pavements is illegal, that will mean one charge point every 4 parked cars.
    or b) employers will be compelled to provide charge points (off road of course)
    or c) charging times at stations are reduced to 5 minutes as per petrol refuelling
    or d) pre-charged battery packs can be exchanged at stations in minutes
    or e) wireless charging anywhere is developed, and proved to be safe.

The obvious snag will be where do cars go after they have recharged, and someone else wants the charge point? Where do people queue for a charge point - in the road?
    Will suburban charge points be personal, or will anyone be allowed to use them? Where do the residents park if the charge points are occupied? Where do people recharge if all the charging bays are occupied by residents' parking?

I don't get the feeling that there is any coordinated plan here. Is the EV revolution intended just for those with drives and garages?
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 8th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mojo1
    In Europe they just put charging posts all along the street. They can add them to street lights as well.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 9th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    If we started with just one charger per street light, that's 5.6 million charging points.
    The cheapest installation cost I can find is £100, so the minimum basic charging point provision for an all-EV UK is going to cost half a billion pounds.

How's that going to be paid for?
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 9th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    The owner is leaving themselves open to an unlimited injury claim that I doubt any insurance is going to cover as what they are doing is illegal and the public footpath is outside their boundary.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 9th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mojo1
    If we started with just one charger per street light, that's 5.6 million charging points.
    The cheapest installation cost I can find is £100, so the minimum basic charging point provision for an all-EV UK is going to cost half a billion pounds.

How's that going to be paid for?
    Originally posted by Clifford_Pope
    Well for a start many of those street lights are on motorways and A roads, so clearly are not going to have chargers on them.

But think about it for a moment. Those street lights didn't grow out of the ground like trees. And they cost much more than £100 each. Yet somehow they got there, and were paid for...

At the very least when they are replaced they should have chargers built in to the new ones. The extra cost compared to the street light and removal/installation is minimal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin