Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VodkaKnockers
    • By VodkaKnockers 24th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    VodkaKnockers
    Tax Credit Award - Should you be making a joint cl
    • 24th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    Tax Credit Award - Should you be making a joint cl 24th Feb 18 at 2:09 PM
    Hi all.

Today I have received a letter from HMRC with the above title.

There has been no change to my circumstances and there is no other adults registered at my address or on my credit reports.

The letter does say that if I am confident my current claim is correct then I do not need to contact them.

I am just worrying that they have opened an investigation and I could potentially lose my tax credits.

Has anyone else received a letter like this?
Page 3
    • John-K
    • By John-K 6th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    I received one too, right at the time me and my bf were in the process of moving in together! Now I'm worried that when I change my circumstances (which I have done on the day he officially moved in) they will think I'm only changing circumstances because of the letter..
    Originally posted by Gp2011
    Why would that worry you? Just report today that your circumstances have changed, give the date when they did, and you have fulfilled your obligations.
    • Gp2011
    • By Gp2011 6th Mar 18, 7:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gp2011
    Yeah I did it online on Saturday as that's the day he moved in.
    Now says online that I can't manage my tax credits online and I need to phone them if my circumstances have changed :/ just seems odd.
    It usually states my info and the money have recieved and due to recieve.
    Hopefully they don't assume he's been here longer and I'm only declaring it because of that letter.
    • Gp2011
    • By Gp2011 8th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gp2011
    Anyone know why it now says I can't view tax credits online or in the app?
    Iv recieved an email to confirm change in circumstance with cb but with tc Iv heard nothing.
    Will my payments just stop and that's it? Or do I need to do anything else. They should be more clear of what the process is of ending a single claim.
    Thanks
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 8th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 7,598 Posts
    • 12,726 Thanks
    dori2o
    Anyone know why it now says I can't view tax credits online or in the app?
    Iv recieved an email to confirm change in circumstance with cb but with tc Iv heard nothing.
    Will my payments just stop and that's it? Or do I need to do anything else. They should be more clear of what the process is of ending a single claim.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Gp2011
    Changing from being a single person to a couple for Tax Credits is a bigger change than most others. It requires that you make a new claim as a couple.

The reason why you cant see online is because your single claim will be coming to an end and you will now need to make a new joint claim.

Not sure what the process is for this. You would possibly be best phoning and finding out what you need to do.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • Jonesdi
    • By Jonesdi 10th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonesdi
    I've had the exact same letter and when you read the whole letter the last line states if you are confident that your current claim is correct you do not need to contact us. So for those asking do you call only if your currently claim is incorrect if they were going to stop the money or do an investigation the letter would say
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin