Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrnomoneybags
    • By mrnomoneybags 24th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 555Posts
    • 73Thanks
    mrnomoneybags
    Premier Park
    • 24th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    Premier Park 24th Feb 18 at 11:07 AM
    Hi All, recently my car visited a local car wash that is located inside a multi story car park near where my mother lives.

The car dropped the car off at the hand car wash went to get a coffee and came back 30 minutes later to collect the car, they had just finished and it wasn't parked in a normal space.

Yesterday I get a PCN from them asking me for 60, I have previously used the standard letter to get a parking charged quashed but this to me seems a clear they have made a mistake.

Should I appeal with this reason or still use the standard letter?

thanks
    Last edited by mrnomoneybags; 24-02-2018 at 2:11 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 24th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 35,561 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 24th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 24th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving.

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving

Send the template appeal

Complain to the car wash and get them to cancel this
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 57,348 Posts
    • 70,946 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 24th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 24th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    Wow, a PCN for using a CAR WASH whose staff then re-parked your car for you to pick up!

You should email your own MP and Sir Greg Knight, I think he'd be interested in this one.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• mrnomoneybags
    • By mrnomoneybags 25th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrnomoneybags
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    Wow, a PCN for using a CAR WASH whose staff then re-parked your car for you to pick up!

You should email your own MP and Sir Greg Knight, I think he'd be interested in this one.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    They didn't re-park it at all. I got back exactly as it was finished.

I assume your being flippant
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 25th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    It is very simple, mane the car wash people.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 35,561 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:34 PM

Originally posted by mrnomoneybags
    . nothing flippant in the responses you got

Your posts are a little confusing though!

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving.

You need to edit your posts to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 25th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,146 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    No point in sending anything different to the standard appeal.

Did you mean to say "They didn't re-park it at all. The driver got back exactly as it was finished."?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 57,348 Posts
    • 70,946 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 25th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 25th Feb 18, 8:59 PM

Not at all, I am completely serious. This one is clearly an 'outrageous scam' (as the MPs all agreed in the Parliamentary debate) and we are utterly horrified. This is a new one on me!

I've seen PCNs issued by rip-off merchants at petrol garages before, but never for parking when in fact the car was being taken through the car wash. Outrageous! Your MP needs to hear about this and I promise you that the MP who started the new Parking Code of Practice Bill, Sir Greg Knight will be interested too, as well as the DVLA and BPA. This is awful.

Watch the video in Post #5 and you might start to get the nature of this entire industry.

Send an email to Steve Clark at the BPA and give him a link to this forum thread:

steve.c@britishparking.co.uk

He does read some MSE threads where he needs to get involved. IMHO he should investigate this matter. No other drivers should EVER be caught up like this, clearly this is ludicrous.

Copy in Sir Greg Knight's office, PLEASE, NOW:

Parliamentary
    House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Email: sothcottt@parliament.uk
    https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/sir-greg-knight/1200

and the DVLA:

ccrt@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

and your own MP (you can look that email up!)...

All of them, email in one go so they can all see who has been cc'd in, and complain, show them a scanned copy of the PCN and tell them that the car was going through a car wash so clearly enforcement at this location is an outrageous scam and must be suspended immediately. Also include a link to this thread for the BPA and DVLA to read, to focus their minds on the issue. High time...

What I would want to know from the BPA & DVLA is how the heck this location passed an audit?

Please do not write a gentle email along the lines: 'I think there has been a mistake'.

This is NOT a mistake. It's a breach of the Code of Practice, breach of unfair business practice Consumer Law, you name it. Watch the footage of the MPs debate and get really ANGRY.

We are, it's why we come here. We are not rogue parkers, we just detest the rogue industry.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 25-02-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• mrnomoneybags
    • By mrnomoneybags 12th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrnomoneybags
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    Thanks Coupon-mad: I have been away for a while and was planning on sending a standard latter today.

I have taken your advise and emailed as above. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly and nobody else will get caught out like this either.

thanks
    • mrnomoneybags
    • By mrnomoneybags 12th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrnomoneybags
    Unfortunately Steve Clark from BPA was no help.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Mar 18, 9:55 PM
    • 7,146 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    KeithP
    Unfortunately Steve Clark from BPA was no help.
    Can we see his response please?

Over two weeks have passed since you originally posted. Have you sent your initial appeal yet?
    Last edited by KeithP; 12-03-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin