Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What equipment do you use in your bedroom?

I use a bedroom clock for both telling the time and as an alarm.

44.04% • 48 votes

I use a bedroom clock to tell the time, but use my mobile phone as an alarm.

10.09% • 11 votes

I use my mobile phone both for telling the time and as an alarm.

39.45% • 43 votes

I use some other combination of devices, like wristwatches and things.

6.42% • 7 votes

You may not vote on this poll

109 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 23rd Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 399Posts
    • 103Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Bedroom Timepieces
    • 23rd Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    Bedroom Timepieces 23rd Feb 18 at 3:55 PM
    Can you help settle an argument?

My friend says that most people use their mobile phone as an alarm clock these days, and hardly anyone uses a stand-alone bedroom alarm clock any more.

I disagree with this - I think most people still have an alarm clock in the bedroom.

I realise there are lots of possible combinations of devices that might get used in the bedroom, but I've narrowed the survey down to what I think are probably the most likely combinations to use, otherwise the survey options would get silly.

I'm thinking specifically of your own bed in your own home, not what you use when you're away from home.

Thanks!
    2018 Wombling Contestant 11: 5.30 (27/03/18)
Page 4
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 27th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 24,232 Posts
    • 95,727 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I have all manner of difficulty actually getting to sleep in the first place (well, without darkness, a purring cat and the ticking of a grandfather clock in the distance), but once I do go to sleep, nothing short of a miracle can wake me before my body is ready.

I hate being woken up with a vengeance - my earliest memories are my mother screaming up the stairs at me to wake up, along with her Bad Moods, which usually kicked in around midnight - 1am when she'd storm into the bedroom, switch the light on and start shouting at me about something. Between her and exes (one insisted on having the TV on all night, even though it kept me awake, one liked to wake me up because he thought that more than five hours sleep was the behaviour of lazy failures and one, who I'll go on to talk about in a moment, was a complete moron), if I get woken up before my body is ready for it, I feel sick, dizzy and absolutely terrified something horrible is about to happen.

Now, I use my phone. It's got an anti blue light filter app that kicks in at sundown (got one on the laptop, too), Do Not Disturb is set from 11pm until 7am and only the OH's calls or messages get through during that time (for when he's off on tour) and bought an extra long charging lead so it can sit beside the bed. I still sleep through the alarms, though, both the radio one and the various inbuilt ones. The OH nixed the old fashioned alarm clock with a delicate little bell I was so excited to find in a charity shop because it ticked. I didn't see the problem as he has earphones in all night, but apparently it was intolerable. And an ex boyfriend got rid of a novelty steam train alarm I absolutely hated after a night out where he thought it would be funny to wake me up by setting it off at 3.45am. I have no recollection of the incident at all, but he apparently set it off in my face, then moved it away each time I reached to try and switch it off. At which point, I allegedly smacked him square on the nose, snatched it off him, hurled it across the room where the batteries fell out, rolled over and picked up where I'd left off when being so rudely awakened. I sleep through radio alarms, switch off phone ones with no awareness of having done so and if, once I do wake up, I hear the TV on, I'm in a foul mood for the rest of the morning.

I got on really well with a sleep app for a couple of weeks, until the constant being on and kept on the bed meant the phone overheated and the screen cracked. I'd be worried now of the risk of fire.

The only thing that wakes me up reliably and without any trauma is the OH touching my arm and telling me it's time to wake. That and it being weekends/days off/holidays, I'm guaranteed to wake up without an alarm at either just after normal time or about 5.40am when I don't need to wake up.

I did wonder about one of the sunrise/sunset lamps and/or a fitness band that vibrates but I'm worried about the cost.

Of course, it would be most effective and quite cheap if I could go back to the purring cat and cat needing breakfast technique. But these cats are idiots and normally start arguing at about 3am, which puts the OH at risk of a coronary if he can bring himself to go to sleep with them around in the first place - and as he is the most reliable alarm clock I've ever had (he uses his phone, by the way - if mine hasn't already woken him up, that is), I have to consider his needs, especially as he stopped going to sleep with a TV on (not happening in my house, ever) and has to switch off all the lights for my benefit.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 1st Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 34,818 Posts
    • 129,259 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Mojo, I have a sunrise clock, and I love it.

If the light coming on and increasing. Doesn't wake me, th radios then know cms in quite loudly and does the trick.
    You don't have to have radio... there is a choice of other sounds.

It's an Oregon, but I don't think the company exists any more.

It's this one, but on Amazon it says 'unavailable'.

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 11th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    It is different for me as I don't sleep very well. I am usually awake at about 5.00am, but it can be anything between 3.30am and 6.30am.
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    I'm curious. How do you people who claim to have no way of telling the time in your bedroom know what time you wake up in the morning? Do you leap out of bed the moment you wake up and go into another room to check the time?

Lately I've been waking up at about 5am desperate for a wee, but I only know that because I glance across at the clock before nipping out to relieve myself and then going back to bed for a couple more hours of shuteye.
    2018 Wombling Contestant 11: 5.30 (27/03/18)
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 12th Mar 18, 12:15 AM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 11,067 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I'm curious. How do you people who claim to have no way of telling the time in your bedroom know what time you wake up in the morning? Do you leap out of bed the moment you wake up and go into another room to check the time?

Lately I've been waking up at about 5am desperate for a wee, but I only know that because I glance across at the clock before nipping out to relieve myself and then going back to bed for a couple more hours of shuteye.
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    Most of the time I just wake up in the morning and get out of bed. Usually it is around 9.00, although this morning I thought it was 10 as I misread the clock in the living room - I realised later that it was only 8.

I can usually tell if I wake too early, and then I just sleep a little more. I rely on my body clock, and not an actual clock. It is not important to me to know what the actual time is unless I have to be somewhere.

I also got out of bed for the same reason as you this morning, but I had no idea what time it was and I just went back to sleep afterwards.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 1567.31 SPC 9 #441 1014.64 SPC 10 #441 1164.13
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 27,806 Posts
    • 15,063 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Most of the time I just wake up in the morning and get out of bed. Usually it is around 9.00, although this morning I thought it was 10 as I misread the clock in the living room - I realised later that it was only 8.

I can usually tell if I wake too early, and then I just sleep a little more. I rely on my body clock, and not an actual clock. It is not important to me to know what the actual time is unless I have to be somewhere.

I also got out of bed for the same reason as you this morning, but I had no idea what time it was and I just went back to sleep afterwards.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    The idea of sleeping too late or getting up too early and missing out on sleep horrifies me. I have to have control with an alarm. Without an alarm i could wake up any time.
    • amistupid
    • By amistupid 13th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 52,486 Posts
    • 166,925 Thanks
    amistupid
    I don't like any time piece in our bedroom, they only give her fuel to ridicule my performance.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 13th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 27,806 Posts
    • 15,063 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I don't like any time piece in our bedroom, they only give her fuel to ridicule my performance.
    Originally posted by amistupid
    But they dont usually display seconds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin