Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 23rd Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 11Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    Letting agent increased fees by 50%
    • 23rd Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    Letting agent increased fees by 50% 23rd Feb 18 at 2:57 PM
    Thanks for the recommendations, however the fees are a rip off and the landlord agreed. They rang up and convinced the letting agent to drop the fees to their original price to when we moved in. Yes it's not as great as no fees, but a saving of 110, totally worth it!

My housemate is also considering paying half the now dropped fees for whoever moves in.

Thanks all

Hi all,

Looking for advice for my housemate. I!!!8217;m moving out my flat and my flatmate is looking for a new housemate. As the flat is managed by a letting agent this involves fees. In the last year they!!!8217;ve increased their fees twice.

Once in June and once just! Meaning what was an admin fee of 220 is now 330!

Now naming and shaming isn!!!8217;t a good thing but I hope this okay to talk about this agent. Let!!!8217;s call them SouthWood , which is very similar to their actual name.

Original fees when we moved in:
    Our tenant fees are as follows:

Charge (inclusive of VAT where applicable)
    Administration Charge - Single Person 220.00
    Administration Charge - Couple 360.00
    Administration Charge - Additional Applicant

Guarantor 120.00
    Renewal Charge 80.00
    Early Release from Tenancy 375.00
    Check Out Charge 50.00
    Minimum Arrangement Fee 50.00
    Overpayment of Rent 50.00

Fees they increased to in April after letting fee ban announcement:

Administration Charge - Single Person 285.00
    Administration Charge - Couple 425.00

Guarantor 120.00
    Renewal Charge 80.00
    Check Out Charge 100.00

Fees now:

Administration Charge - Single Person 330.00
    Administration Charge - Couple 490.00

Guarantor 320.00
    Renewal Charge 125.00
    Check Out Charge 100.00

Anyone have any advice! Fees are just spiralling out of control and all without being informed!
    Last edited by martinlewisjunior; 09-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Page 2
    • martindow
    • By martindow 26th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    martindow
    Like I say the only outcome is eviction - not many landlords evict ayungbtenants
    Originally posted by Comms69
    ?? Covfefe??
    • ashe
    • By ashe 26th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    ?? Covfefe??
    Originally posted by martindow
    Originally Posted by Comms69 View Post
    Like I say the only outcome is eviction - not many landlords evict ayungbtenants
    I think he plays for Arsenal.
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 27th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    Update, the landlord uses two agents for the property. We're asking the question around can we use the other agent.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 27th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 7,823 Posts
    • 14,291 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    You mention that any prospective new tenant is put off by the fees. However if your ex housemate still wants to live there without the hassle of moving, he will find the place more attractive to let out if he volunteers to pay some of the admin fee himself, reducing the cost to his friendly new housemate.

It doesn't make the fee go away but it stops the fee being a barrier to potential flatmates who might be nice to live with if they didn't turn down the opportunities due to high fees.

Also, in terms of it being a potential barrier to new tenants - presumably the new housemate would be expecting to live there for a year or more. The old price for an extra tenant was 220 and you paid it. The new price is 330 which over a year is less than a tenner a month, compared to what it was. Over more than a year, even less. There are a lot of factors to consider when deciding to live in a small flat with a stranger (or even a friend) as a long term living arrangement. If the arrangement seems workable because the person likes the flat and the housemate, a change of cost of under 10 a month is likely not going to be the thing that decides it for them.

Finally, you mention about subletting and the fact that you agreed "Not to assign, sublet, otherwise part with possession of the Property or let any other person live at the Property without the prior written consent of the Landlord or the Landlord's Agent which cannot be unreasonably withheld and must be given within a reasonable time." A way to read this is to disregard all the punctuation and note that it says you can't sublet it wthout prior written consent - but this consent can't be unreasonably withheld. So you could sublet it unless the landlord as a reasonable person has a justifiable reason why you must not.

If you are not increasing the total occupancy of the house (because you'll move out to let the new person in) and you are not introducing anyone undesirable (background check and references) and you are still on the contract paying the rent (hoping to collect money from your subtenant or your ex-flatmate's lodger, whatever you call it) and you have been a reliable tenant so far, maybe he will let you sublet it out (and not unreasonably withhold permission for that). Of course, then you are still on the tenancy agreement yourself rather than being off the hook, which is what you want really. So just a thought.

The idea of two agents is interesting - I wonder if the other agent incurs more costs for the landlord or if they are as good / reactive to any maintenance issues that come up etc. Sometimes it can be 'better the devil you know'.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 27-02-2018 at 3:25 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 27th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    ?? Covfefe??
    Originally posted by martindow
    I think he plays for Arsenal.
    Originally posted by ashe
    Paying* tenants. Sorry
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 9th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    Thanks for the recommendations, however the fees are a rip off and the landlord agreed. They rang up and convinced the letting agent to drop the fees to their original price to when we moved in. Yes it's not as great as no fees, but a saving of 110, totally worth it!

My housemate is also considering paying half the now dropped fees for whoever moves in.

Thanks all
    Last edited by martinlewisjunior; 09-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin