Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 22nd Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 29Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    'The Ordinary' skincare products
    • 22nd Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    'The Ordinary' skincare products 22nd Feb 18 at 3:22 PM
    Hi everyone!

So lately I've been looking to expand by skincare routine as I've noticed my skin gets drier than it used to and I have slight hyperpigmentation so I thought I'd start taking better care of it!

Now recently, a few people have recommended skincare products from 'The Ordinary' to me and have said that they work very well. One of my friends uses one of their Retinoid products and the "Buffet" serum and swears by them both. However, I mentioned the brand to another person I know and she said although the products are cheap, they are not worth it.

So I was wondering, have any of you had any experience with the brand or any specific products you would recommend to a friend, or any that haven't worked for you?
Page 3
    • Cocothecat
    • By Cocothecat 7th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Cocothecat
    Decleor micellar oil
    Try decleor micellar cleansing oil.
    Itís amazing.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 11th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4,268 Posts
    • 11,175 Thanks
    asajj
    I love the buffet and the caffeine and niod Sanskrit sapions.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Do you mix the buffet with your cream etc or just apply directly ?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Do you mix the buffet with your cream etc or just apply directly ?
    Originally posted by asajj
    Directly.
    Iím not always using a moisturiser now, just potions
    • asajj
    • By asajj 11th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 4,268 Posts
    • 11,175 Thanks
    asajj
    Thanks! Inspired by the thread, I've ordered some products myself too :P
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 11,045 Posts
    • 29,434 Thanks
    suki1964
    Directly.
    Iím not always using a moisturiser now, just potions
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Iíve not needed to use one since Iíve started with the buffet

One morning this week I was late for work and I didnít get time to cleanse and use the buffet and whilst my face didnít get sore during the day, it felt awful when I got home and in the shower. Really rough feeling. Normally if I had gone into work without slathering the moisturizer on my skin would be sore and splitting

A friend who hadnít seen me for three weeks asked me what I had been doing as my face was looking so good. I told her about the products and she asked if I had the foundation on , which I hadnít , because my skin looked so good

I love the feel and coverage of the foundation but now itís getting brighter I see itís too orange for me so Iím working on ordering a paler one

At the moment Iím wearing the primer and then a dusting of bare minerals flawless finish No settling in lines at all
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suzyjane
    • By suzyjane 11th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    suzyjane
    How do you know which skincare products to buy?
    I!!!8217;ve had a look at The Ordinary website and as I don!!!8217;t have a degree in chemistry I have no idea which skincare products to buy. I can!!!8217;t make head nor tail of it all. I have sensitive dry skin - please can anyone help me in advising which products I should buy. Thanks
    Last edited by suzyjane; 11-03-2018 at 8:39 PM. Reason: Emoji not showing properly
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 31,768 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I!!!8217;ve had a look at The Ordinary website and as I don!!!8217;t have a degree in chemistry I have no idea which skincare products to buy. I can!!!8217;t make head nor tail of it all. I have sensitive dry skin - please can anyone help me in advising which products I should buy. Thanks
    Originally posted by suzyjane
    Have a look at THIS site and click on the individual product, I think you will find the information you need. HTH
    • suzyjane
    • By suzyjane 11th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    suzyjane
    Thank you for your reply - I did look at this website but I didnít understand which products to buy. It seems from this thread people use a combination of products but how do they know how many to use and which ones? On the Ordinary website there are some example regimes that advise using several products at the same time. I have dry sensitive skin and it doesnít show a suggested regime for that. I really want to try these products but Iím so confused
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Mar 18, 11:56 PM
    • 11,045 Posts
    • 29,434 Thanks
    suki1964
    I have/had very dry patches and sensitivity I went for the buffet which is so gentle, no dry patches , no flakes, transformation was in days

I also chose the lactic acid to shift the flakiness. I was worried about my skin being sensitive so just started it on my forehead , but seriously it was mild enough for me to be using it all over my face within a couple of days

Im now using it on my neck and d!colletage. That area has had some serious sun damage and was beginning to feel like leather and looks like creased tissue paper, already in three days its feeling softer

Have a look at the website Cult Beauty, see if that helps. The reviews from users helped me decide

Or else if you have a House of Fraiser near you, go ask in there, Im sure they are stockists
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 12th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    I have now ordered the Buffet, the caffeine solution and a primer to get me started!

Thank you to everyone for your advice!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 31,768 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thank you for your reply - I did look at this website but I didnít understand which products to buy. It seems from this thread people use a combination of products but how do they know how many to use and which ones? On the Ordinary website there are some example regimes that advise using several products at the same time. I have dry sensitive skin and it doesnít show a suggested regime for that. I really want to try these products but Iím so confused
    Originally posted by suzyjane
    Yes it is a lot to take in, see Suki's comments above and also look at THIS page, scroll down, recs for all skin types.

Here is another one

and a review of buffet
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I have now ordered the Buffet, the caffeine solution and a primer to get me started!

Thank you to everyone for your advice!
    Originally posted by PoppyTaylor
    THats exactly what I ordered first - plus the alpha liphotic acid.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 13th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    BBH123
    I am a regular user of The Ordinary, and would love to try their foundations, both because of the price and the write ups, but am reluctant because the colour shown on websites does not always match real life. You could end up spending as much as the high end foundations cost, if you are not careful
    Were your foundations a good match?
    Originally posted by sunfield91

They were both a good colour match but what I would say is that I have some redness and the serum foundation wasn't enough but the coverage foundation is perfect.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3700/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 11,045 Posts
    • 29,434 Thanks
    suki1964
    Thought Id update as its now a month along

Im still getting good results, my skin over all is smother and less dry. I cant see any difference in my crease lines - the 11's at the top of my nose or between nose and mouth, and I never had anything worth mentioning around the eyes or anywhere else so I can comment there

Im still getting odd outbreaks of flakes around my eyebrows, scalp line and bottom of chin, but those are the areas most effected by my seb derm, and Ive been suffering with a heavy cold( read run down so seb derm flares) so its hard to say

I have had people say Im looking really well

I got a little sample of the serum foundation, and it was horrible. even forgiving the colour, it just sat on my face and looked bloody awful. Completely different to the coverage foundation. Im still trying to get a good colour match on that, samples are hard to come by and theres no where near that stocks it

So, for the money, I don't think you can go wrong. The buffet @ £12 which I apply twice daily is half done so is a complete bargain and the lactic acid will last a good few more week

Oh, forgot to say, the improvement on my decllotege is amazing. The leather has softened and its not such a ruddy colour. Don't know if its the acid or the buffet thats made the difference as I use both. Hopefully the improvement will keep on when the good weather makes it here

I am going to look further at starting the retinol. I have two areas high on my cheeks that are very badly sun damaged and are looking very pronounced now the rest of my face looks so good. But I think that o=won't be till im feeling better myself but I will review when I do

Hope some of this has helped people decide
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 26th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Thank you suki1964 , I've just started using the products I bought too and they seem to be working already! I've only been using them for just under a week but my face does feel more plump.. although this could be because it is finally getting the attention in needs!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 26th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    • 11,045 Posts
    • 29,434 Thanks
    suki1964
    Thank you suki1964 , I've just started using the products I bought too and they seem to be working already! I've only been using them for just under a week but my face does feel more plump.. although this could be because it is finally getting the attention in needs!
    Originally posted by PoppyTaylor
    lol

I thought the same as the results were so obvious so quickly but even if I miss a morning or evening, Im still looking good
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 13th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Just an update for anyone who's interested, these products have really improved my skin, particularly the Buffet! I've ordered several more of their products and few that people have suggested on this thread, so thank you very much for your recommendations!
    • kanzy
    • By kanzy 4th May 18, 6:43 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kanzy
    You should use any of the following:

1-Micellar Cleansing Water.

2-First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer.

3-Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief.

4-Tarte Brand Makeup.

5-Lush's Let the Good Times Roll Cleanser.

6-Seacret Mineral-Rich Peeling Gel.

7-Boscia's Tsubaki Deep Hydration Sleeping Mask.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,632Posts Today

7,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin